California-Northern

Cakes in Sacramento?

Does anyone know of a good wedding cake baker in the Sac area? Someone told me to go to River City (formally know as Villiage) but when I read their reviews they're awful. I don't want to take that chance. Any other ideas?
~January 2011~
WEDDING MONTH SC - Rings
imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cakes in Sacramento?

• Aimee8314Aimee8314 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're willing to travel a little farther out - Divine Desserts in Loomis is AMAZING.  I'm not a huge fan of store bought cake - it's always too dry for me - but their cake is fabulous.

Otherwise, I've heard good things about Shelton's in Sac.
    Photobucket
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting ours from Ettore's in Sacramento. Their work is amazing, their cakes are delicious (I definitely recommend doing a tasting), and they have gotten a lot of recommendations from previous knotties and various venues in the area.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you guys! I have heard of Shelton's but I think I'll do a tasting with both of those recomendations. Where in Sac is Ettore's Cakes?
    ~January 2011~
    WEDDING MONTH SC - Rings
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ettore's is in between Howe and Morse/Fulton off of Fair Oaks. It's actually a restaurant but is known for it's baked good and pastries. It was literally the best and most surprising tasting we could ever imagine. It was also cheaper than all of the other cake vendors (which was really surprising to me). 
  • Aimee8314Aimee8314 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the cake - because they were definitely more than Shelton's is - the going rate that I was quoted was $3.50 a serving.  Ettores was closer to $5.00+
    My MOH is using them - but she's serving just pastries.  not cake. she said they are delicious.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Ettore's also has a relatively expensive delivery fee, depending on where you are getting married...just something to keep in mind :)
  • edited December 2011
    Freeport Bakery!
  • edited December 2011

Sounds like Shelton's is a better deal for what I need. Thanks for all the input!!

~January 2011~
    WEDDING MONTH SC - Rings
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...I was quoted more at Shelton's and Freeport and got less for my money. And my delivery fee at Ettore's is also only $50, which was common with the other business in the area.

I still recommend checking them out. At this rate, you never know what you might get. And the tasting is still free and worth it. 
  • edited December 2011
    I DEFINITELY think you should at least taste at Ettore's--the cake is AMAZING.  And they give you HUGE slices.  Definitely worth a look :)

The only reason I mentioned price was that we were quoted $200 for delivery of our cake--granted, we got married in "the foothills" (Auburn), but I just wanted to throw that out there--a wedding outside of Sacramento proper might incur a higher delivery fee than one within :)
  • FrostedMiniFrostedMini member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Sugar and Spice Speacialty Deserts the owner chef extradoner is Carrissa Jones and she is amazaing as well as her deserts!  http://www.sugarandspice.me/#

• edited December 2011
    I was very hesitant about River City cakes as well, but a friend of mine used them for her wedding and I was pleasantly surprised. So far the owner has been very accommodating (vegan marshmallows for fondant because gelatin in regular ones contain pork) and she even gave me a discount because i mentioned how i heard about them. The cakes are very good. My friend told me that everything went well with her purchase except that the back-up cake was supposed to be a pink sheet cake and instead they brought white. We didn't even utilize it so it wasn't a big deal. I honestly think it's because I know my friend wasn't all that specific with any of the details so Idk how much of that was their fault. Anyway, so far I've been pleased and I hope my own wedding cake will be even better than the one I've seen before. 
  • edited December 2011

For looks -- Shelton's seem to do a superb job.  They seem to focus more on aesthetics rather than flavor. At least from the cake tasting that I had with them.  We didn't even finish the slices that we took home.

I highly recommend Pastry Heaven at Citrus Heights.  It might be a longer drive for you --- but their cakes are DELICIOUS.  I go for taste rather than looks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards