Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Input Please! Plus Size Bride-to-Be!

Hello all

I'm just beginning my search for the perfect dress for my January wedding.  The issue is I'm not sure where a plus-size bride can even begin.  I'm wondering if any others in the area have run into a similar situation, and what your solution was!

Thanks in advance for the input!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Input Please! Plus Size Bride-to-Be!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Bell of the ball in trooper has a lot of plus sized dresses. I actually liked the selection at Davids a little better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Belle of the Ball did have a decent selection, but personally I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the dresses.  David's is a good place to start, you can find out what shapes and styles you like.

My two suggestions: Country Bride and Gent in North Wales had a nice selection, as did Bridals by Sandra.  It's in Nazareth, so it's a bit of a drive, but the shop was beautiful (private dressing room and viewing room like Say Yes to the Dress) and they had great prices.
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try this website, tons of great dresses, though I've not purchased one from them maybe someone else has.  http://www.aphrobridal.com Also http://thechicbrideinc.blogspot.com is a blog that has plus sized link to the company. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a plus size bride myself and only shopped at places where they had plus size samples, for the reason that I wanted to see what things actually looked like on me.  I was not going to have people hold dresses up to me (which actually happened at once place and it was very embarassing).  Most people will send you to David's which I think is great - they have a nice selection in plus size so you can see what looks good on you.  But if you are determined not to go there, try Belle of the Ball, Country Bride & Gent (Lansdale), and Exquisite Bride in Princeton, NJ.  I first tried on my dress in a sample plus at Exquisite in Princeton, but ended up buying it at Kleinfeld in NYC.  Kleinfeld is soooo worth it if you are plus size - they have an unbelievable amount of plus samples and it definitely helps knowing you don't have a selection of 5-10 at each place. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_input-please-plus-size-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:28c1d0d7-f04e-437a-822b-96662298f3bePost:4f23c035-828e-4695-969f-8f8bb96fb6cf">Re: Input Please! Plus Size Bride-to-Be!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was a plus size bride myself and only shopped at places where they had plus size samples, for the reason that I wanted to see what things actually looked like on me.  I was not going to have people hold dresses up to me (which actually happened at once place and it was very embarassing).  Most people will send you to David's which I think is great - they have a nice selection in plus size so you can see what looks good on you.  But if you are determined not to go there, try Belle of the Ball, Country Bride & Gent (Lansdale), and Exquisite Bride in Princeton, NJ.  I first tried on my dress in a sample plus at Exquisite in Princeton, but ended up buying it at Kleinfeld in NYC.  Kleinfeld is soooo worth it if you are plus size - they have an unbelievable amount of plus samples and it definitely helps knowing you don't have a selection of 5-10 at each place. 
    Posted by jewels2730[/QUOTE]

I was reading your post and it made me so happy!! I've been pondering going up to Kleinfelds since I have a very odd body shape.... (very busty, bit of a tummy and hips and butt of a boy) and I know I'm going to be plus size but I want to actually try dresses on!  How many did you get to try on at Kleinfelds??
  • Options
    jlb734jlb734 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks all.  I never figured I'd find more than maybe 1 place locally, and had kinda given up hope on being able to try on dresses.  My sisters want to start looking soon, so I'll probably be trying out all of the suggestions here!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you happen to be in the New England area, i would suggest making an appointment to meet with Jan at Botticelli's!  They only carry plus size gowns & I was able to try on EVERYTHING!

www.BotticelliRI.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know you are not looking anymore as it seems like your wedding date has come (congrats!!) but i wanted to replay in case other ladies did what I did and search the forums for advice on this topic. 

I had a GREAT experience at Bridals by Sandra up in Nazareth, PA. I was able to try on over 10 dresses in different styles and they had more (I found the dress of my dreams and didn't want to try anymore on!). My consultant, Deb W, was wonderful- and most importantly, NAILED it. They carry mostly Maggie Sottero (which was exactly what I wanted). A few Mori Lee as well.

The only other place I tried on was Alfred Angelo in Cherry Hill, NJ. They were good as well, but only had about 5-6 dresses in my size and none were my style, but the customer service was fantastic. I would recommend both places.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tkoch did Sandra by any chance have any knee/tea length dresses? i've been looking for tea length plus size FOREVER and i just can't find it without buying it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards