October 2012 Weddings

Makeup/Hair Advice Needed!

I fell in love with the work of a makeup artist/hair stylist that is pricey.  I looked at her portfolio and now I just HAVE to have her do my hair/makeup for my wedding.  She is actually out of my budget but I honestly don't care...I think she is worth it.  I'll make it work.  The work she does on brides is incredible.  She makes the plainest people look like movie stars/models!  I guess she also does celebs and models which I think is why she is in higher demand than most wedding makeup artists/hair stylists.  I cannot find one negative review about her.  

Problem is...I am afraid my BM's might not be so happy that I hired someone that is pricey.  I am not requiring any of my BM's to get their hair/makeup done.  I am perfectly ok with them doing their own if they choose not to use the services of my stylist but they have all said they are interested in getting hair/makeup done.  But I don't know if I'm supposed to consider their budgets  I mean, it is my wedding and I want to look and feel my best and if I want to splurge to do that, I should be able to right?  I don't feel like I should have to settle for sub-par makeup on the biggest day of my life where I will be photographed all day.  I have been searching and researching others to see if there are any that are more affordable and whose work I love, but so far...nobody else has really wowed me or stood out.  

What do you guys think?  Just book the stylist I want and let my BM's make the choice of whether they want to use her or should I look for someone else completely?  If you were a BM would you be pissed?

Oh and a couple of other things to note in case it affects your response: my BM's are all coming from OOT so I feel bad if they spend more money.  If I hired a cheaper person, I was probably going to pay for their hair (they could decide if they want to pay for makeup on their own).  With the stylist I want, I would not be able to afford paying for all of their hair.
Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2

Re: Makeup/Hair Advice Needed!

• How much is it going to be for your BMs to get their hair/makeup done? 
  • I was worried about my BMs paying to get their hair and make up done as well.  When I found the place I wanted to use I send a message to each girl and asked if they would be willing to pay that amount before I booked.  They all agreed to the hair price, one said yes to make up and the other 2 are thinking about it. 

Could you ask your girls to see if they would be willing to pay that price or maybe you could find an alternate hair and make up artist to do the girls if they just can't pay the extra money.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That's a tough one since they've all said they'd like their make-up done. Could you pay for a more reasonable hair stylist/make-up artist to come for your BMs and have the pricey one for yourself? Or maybe cover half the cost for your BMs? I understand wanting a pricey artist that's going to make you look great for all your photographs! I decided to splurge for a make-up artist as well.

I've always had to do my own make-up for weddings I've been in, though the bride didn't have a make-up artist either (one bride did her own and one had a friend do her make-up) so I wouldn't be upset if you didn't spend the extra money for me to have my make-up done.

For my wedding I'm paying for all my BMs to get their hair done, but I am bringing in a make-up artisit to do my make-up only. My BMs that care about make-up are good at doing their own and the rest hardly wear make-up and I think they will be fine doing their own or having a BM who's good at doing make-up do theirs. I'm sure that sounds selfish to some people but my BMs honestly won't mind and wouldn't want to spend the extra money themselves to have make-up done.
  • Just be careful, some times you have to have a certain amount of people guaranteed for them to come do your make up. A lot of the people I have looked at want 3 faces in order for you to book. I agree with asking your BMs if they are interested. Good Luck
    for siggy
  • What kind of price are you talking here? If anything maybe have them choose someone else?? That is going to be tough.
    weddingpic
  • What about finding middle ground?  You found a stylist that you love - awesome! What about sharing the cost of the BM hair/make-up.  You could cover part of the cost instead of all of it, and then they aren't ponying up so much for services either since you seem to be worried about them spending too much...
    458 Invited image
    300 Yes image
    78 No image
    80 Are making my stalk mailbox image
  • Thanks ladies for the advice!  The price for the bridesmaids hair is $165 and makeup is $200.  :|  I think that's pretty pricey.  Personally, I probably wouldn't pay that if I were a BM or only just pay for one service and do the other myself.  My bridal hair and make-up is more than that, but to me it's worth it because it's my wedding..and I want to look/feel amazing that day.

I think I'm going to take PP advice and let them know the price and ask if they would be comfortable paying for it.  If they don't want to pay for it (which I totally understand if they don't), I'll hire someone more affordable specifically to do my bridesmaids and I'll pay for their hair (they can pay for the makeup on their own if they want) and I'll just hire my stylist just to do my hair and makeup.  The stylist I want only requires a certain $ amount for a minimum (not a # of people) and if I book hair and makeup with her, I'll meet her minimum.  

If I end up hiring a separate stylist for my BM, do you think it would be awkward for the other stylist if she's not doing me?  I guess I could always just tell her that I had already hired someone but my BM's wanted something more in their price range?    
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • I don't think it's awkward to have a separate stylist for yourself. In fact it might be nice that you can have your hair and makeup done whenever your stylist is ready and you don't have to worry about one stylist rushing to do your hair and makeup and all your bridesmaids hair and makeup. My hair stylist even suggested to bring in another stylist since I have an early afternoon wedding so we have plenty of time and don't have to start at 5 am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards