October 2012 Weddings

Dress Shopping!

So I went dress browsing at some local vendors this week to check out the stores before I do my actually trying on with my mom and sister and MIL and SIL (yes I know a lot, but I wanted to include my MIL and SIL since they are important to my FI and I).  Going into the shops was not quite what I expected but I took pictures of dressed I liked and now I'm excited to go back and try them on.

There are a number of dresses that the sample size is definitely smaller than my size.  Did any of you all have to deal with that?  Do you just "squeeze" in and imagine if it actually fits?  Also, what other dress shopping tips do you have to make it nice and easy?

Thanks!!!
Rachel Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Shopping!

• Bridal gowns are sized weird, usually two sizes smaller than you actually are.  So if you are normally a 6, you would probably be a 10.  They should be able to tell what size you are because they do this on a daily basis.  Also, they may not have every dress in the right size for you, so you may not be able to zip some up and you may need to have clips hold it in place.

I would bring shoes in the height you are planning on wearing, have at least a strapless bra, and wear underwear that you fell comfortable wearing in front of family, friends, and the bridal consultant.  I styled my hair and tried to do my makeup nice so that I could get a good visual of what it would look like all put together.

Stick to your budget and tell them what it is.  Don't try on any dresses you can't afford.  It is a hard reality to face when you fall in love with an out of budget dress.

Have a great time and take tons of pics!
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • I went shopping on Tuesday while my mom was in town. I went with her and one of my best friends and thank goodness i did because one of the shops I went to was quite strange and maybe because it was so busy but we actually went around and grabbed dresses and then my friend helped me get into them.  everyone now and then one of the women would help us out.  But anyways they had a lot of dresses on sale that were one ofs, like if it was on sale that was the last one they had and the one you bought.  The one I feel in love with ended up being one.  It was a little tight on me but since I am still looking to lose another 10-15lbs I should be able to slide into it.  So basically if the sample size is too too small, I wouldn't bother because even trying to let it out might just not be worth the cost. But if you realistically think you can loose enough to fit into something that's not that much smaller than it is something to consider.
  • I don't think I'll end up with anything off the rack (and then I definitely wouldn't look at sizes too small (it's easier to take it in then let it out).  The dress I'm in love with (at the moment) is definitely a size or two too small but they'd be able to order it in my size if I wanted it.  I was thinking of calling the dress place and seeing if they could order a sample in that is a bit larger.  I'm not sure if they'll do that though.
    Rachel Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards