October 2012 Weddings
Options

Not trying to be rude

You guys need to be really careful what you post about your personal information. There are a lot of creepers out there. Example the exact college you go to or a picture 5 houses down from you and it says right where the house is.  I love to hear your news but I worry about your safety. Just a heads up.

To note I am not picking on the two posters specifically. Just using them as examples. You can just take out the part about where the house is located or the name of the college.

Re: Not trying to be rude

• Options
    Thanks.

I deleted the link.
    October 2012 Siggy:Pets!!!
    Current pet:Zeke
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream pets:Great Dane & Yorkshire
  • Options
    Always good to have a personal information reminder! 
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-trying-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:5cf450e0-6d6c-4584-b0f5-cee5047739e8Post:4dc7c03f-cec6-4c6d-bd06-5f4c1f668524">Re: Not trying to be rude</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. I deleted the link.
    Posted by KristenJF106[/QUOTE]

You didn't need to delete the link just the fact it was 5 houses from you :)

I just worry and care about your safety.
  • Options
    its ok. 
    sometimes i forget about all the crazies out there lol
  • Options
    Yea, it is sad that we need to beware of the crazies. Thanks for the reminder...I totally forget some times. Its sooo easy to do. Especially considering I think of you girls as my long lost friends. :)
  • Options
    I know I forget sometimes that the stuff we put on here can actually be read by anyone!
  • Options
    i'm just curious though, there were 15,000 undergrads at my college... what harm would there be if i told people i went there? i don't get why everyone on the knot is so worried about stalkers... i know there's plenty of info you shouldn't share (like the street you live on) but is something like your school, or name, or face (i've seen plenty of blurred pics) really that risky? if so i hope you're not on facebook lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 2012 Siggy: The Dress
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    First they find out your school, then in another post your first name or have it in your profile along with your Fiance's name... then you have future Mrs _____ and they have his last name, etc etc.  Of those 15,000 grads, how many have your first name?  I know my name is VERY common, and a guy knew my name and my dorm (ah stupid freshman mistake), and next thing I knew he was at my door asking me what I was doing for the rest of my life... scary

It's not that puzzle piece it's self, but all the little pieces together.  Then they have your venue and your date, and I've heard of people cancelling venues etc.  It's just a friendly reminder.  If someone wants to know particular things, use the PM if you trust them. 

Yes I have a FB but it's blocked from anyone not my friend... but that's due to my FI's ex wife.
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-trying-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:5cf450e0-6d6c-4584-b0f5-cee5047739e8Post:98a03283-9597-400f-a1aa-3867e961dd14">Re: Not trying to be rude</a>:
    [QUOTE]First they find out your school, then in another post your first name or have it in your profile along with your Fiance's name... then you have future Mrs _____ and they have his last name, etc etc.  Of those 15,000 grads, how many have your first name?  I know my name is VERY common, and a guy knew my name and my dorm (ah stupid freshman mistake), and next thing I knew he was at my door asking me what I was doing for the rest of my life... scary It's not that puzzle piece it's self, but all the little pieces together.  Then they have your venue and your date, and I've heard of people cancelling venues etc.  It's just a friendly reminder.  If someone wants to know particular things, use the PM if you trust them.  Yes I have a FB but it's blocked from anyone not my friend... but that's due to my FI's ex wife.
    Posted by mana8503[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>i totally get being cautious. i'm also aware that someone who views my profile can figure out my first and last name, and the general area that i live in. i'm not terrified that someone is going to use that info to stalk me though. yes there are some crazy people out there, but i think unless you do something to provoke a nutty stranger, you're probably more likely to be harrassed by a coworker or someone at the mall. i don't think the knot is exactly a prime place for stalkers to look for targets... a site like craiglist is a different story but you get my point.  </div><div>now, i would never make anything like my address, phone number, or work place public, but i'm also not entirely convinced that anyone really cares enough to try and stalk me with the limited info i put out there. i'm really not that interesting lol.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Rbehm - I can PM if you want, it's easy to find you

edit to protect the innocent
    my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    sure, send me a pm. i'm curious what you found.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options

RBehm - you have a Pm

my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    I was simply using it as an example. I am not saying that you are gonna have some psycho out there knocking on your door. It's your choice to post what you want to post and how you want to post. Lately all over the knot people have been posting alot of person information with links to their registries AND personal information. I was just throwing out a simple reminder looking out for you guys.
  • Options
    i wasn't trying to start anything, sorry if i offended anyone. i totally agree that people should be careful what info they put out there; i've just noticed (not even on this board) that some people seem to worry more than they should. but i guess it is better to be too cautious than not cautious enough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    Omg people are terrible on some of the other boards! About get your face ripped off lol
  • Options
    I thank you for the remind but we can't live our whole lives under rocks.  I am sure we are all going to put our engagement annoucements in the newspapers, which includes our full names, parents, where we live and where we graduated from.  I am not trying to be rude, it actually took me a couple of days to think about what to write because I was a little offended by the post.  I  just wanted to share my excitement with all of you about graduating, that is it.  I understand it was just an example that was used, but it was used write after my post.   We have to live and not be so worried all the time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 210 Invited to Our Weddingimage
    90 Are Ready to Partyimage
    19 Are Missing a Great Timeimage
    101 Can't Find the MailboximageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Mana & Rbehm:

I read what you were saying & I'm curious, Mana did you find out anything? Like all the info you were talking about?

• Options

Kristen - I guess I didn't find her, but it's really easy to put pieces out there to be able to.  I was also at work and get blocked from a lot of sites like facebook. 

my 2012 shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-trying-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:5cf450e0-6d6c-4584-b0f5-cee5047739e8Post:3ba380e3-eae8-4e48-b6a6-3b0c0ef1ad39">Re: Not trying to be rude</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thank you for the remind but we can't live our whole lives under rocks.  I am sure we are all going to put our engagement annoucements in the newspapers, which includes our full names, parents, where we live and where we graduated from.  I am not trying to be rude, it actually took me a couple of days to think about what to write because I was a little offended by the post.  I  just wanted to share my excitement with all of you about graduating, that is it.  I understand it was just an example that was used, but it was used write after my post.   We have to live and not be so worried all the time. 
    Posted by Heather613[/QUOTE]

I will never put my personal information in a newspaper. You are going to get the same response when going to other boards. As the mod I have to remind you guys about putting your personal information out there. Sorry if that offends you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-trying-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:5cf450e0-6d6c-4584-b0f5-cee5047739e8Post:2fa9644b-57b0-474e-a861-797db716667a">Re: Not trying to be rude</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mana & Rbehm: I read what you were saying & I'm curious, Mana did you find out anything? Like all the info you were talking about?
    Posted by KristenJF106[/QUOTE]
     <div>some of the people she found have the same name as me, but weren't me. i googled myself and various permutations of my username and location and stuff and nothing turns up. i might be harder to find than some people (due to multiple usernames on different sites, and the fact that i'm not in the phonebook) but i'm sure some people would in fact be easy to find that way. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards