October 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD 2/15

Do you have any furbabies?  Tell us about them.  Pics if you go 'em. 

If you don't have a furbaby, will you get one in the future?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD 2/15

• Options
    No and im not sure. FI grew up with dogs his whole life, his mom has two and he wants to eventually get a dog, but im so allergic and i know everyone says get a hypoallergenic one, etc etc but like 5 min being in someone's house who has a dog i cant breathe its so bad....and im not going to take allergy meds everyday to live in my own house...

So idk...i may give in once we have kids, since FI says he will use the kids sad faces to turn me...lol
  • Options
    trawas01trawas01 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    We have two!

We got Harley about two months after we moved in together. I've always had dogs growing up. Living without one was hard. FI had gotten a dog about a year before he moved out and it broke his heart a little to leave her with his parents. We went to a rescue's adoption fair to find out about volunteering. I didn't feel like we had the time or the money just then for a dog. And then we met Harley. I walked into her kennel just to get a dog "fix" and she rolled over in my lap and didn't move. We went home and I couldn't get her off my mind.

We ended up emailing her foster parents the next morning. Found out she had been in the foster home for almost a year. That she had been taken in as a stray at the county shelter. The morning after being brought in the discovered she had given birth to six puppies and after giving birth was actually very underweight and was heartworm positive. The shelter was going to put her and her puppies down because they didn't have the funding to deal with it. The rescue group ended up taking her. They got her treated for heartworm and all her pups were adopted. She however had some serious speration anxiety and was already probably 4 years old.

Despite all of that, and against our family's better judgement, we took her home the following sunday. She was a disaster. She drooled buckets in her cage. Chewed up blankets. Cried. Howled. Barked. If left out of her crate she dug up carpets (twice in our apartment, oof). It took us a good six months to get her to rest easy in her crate. Today she is happy, healthy and happily crate free. It took a lot of work but she can now be left out, free in the house when left home alone.

If you can't tell by the length of all that I love this dog to pieces. She is my baby.

So then about 7 months ago we got Davidson. We wanted a friend for Harley. She was doing good, starting to stay out on her own. But we knew she wasn't happy during the day by herself. My FI wanted another dog. I didn't think we could afford another dog but cats tend to be less expensive. I grew up with a cat who is pretty antisocial and FI never had one. I begged him for probably two months before he gave in.

We wanted a male but other than that we just wanted a kitten. We got this little guy from the same rescues as Harley, he was about 6 weeks when we got him. He pretty much thinks he's a dog. When we brought him home he hissed a Harley once. And then she started carrying him around in her mouth. Would literally scoop him up and carry him from room to room. They adore one another. They sleep together. They wrestle together. We've leash trained Davidson and they take walks together. The cat honestly thinks he's a dog.

So those are my kids. And yes we consistently refer to them as the kids.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    Ashton - They are so cute.  i can't beleive that your dog carries the cat around!!

As for FI and I, we do not have any pets.  We both had pets in our previous relationships that we could not take with us and it was pretty heart breaking. While I sometimes wish that we had a pet, I really don't miss changing the cat litter or taking the dog out for a walk.  We also like that we can leave and not worry about having to make sure the animals were taken care of.  Will we ever have a pet?  I am pretty sure that we will evenutally but not anytime soon. 
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We have two Stella, my cat I've had since she was three. I got her from my SM's neice. Lemon, FI's golden retriever he's had since she was a puppy.

They get along pretty well and will sometimes even cuddle together!

Anniversary
  • Options
    FI moved in with me January of 2011. We talked about getting a dog and he was nervous about it. He NEVER had any animals growing up and he was affraid of the commitment and losing our "freedom." Well...that changed on February 10th of last year. My good friend was on her way to work and was hit by a drunk diver and killed. After we left the hospital we went to her house to figure out what to do with her 2 dogs. We spoke to her parents and they wanted help finding them homes. I immediately asked FI if we could take one of them. Under the circumstances, he couldn't say no. We took "Girlie", a 5 year old aussie mix, home with us and our lives forever changed. She is absolutely in love with my FI and he is in love with her. She is the sweetest dog that ever lived and we are so happy to be taking care of her for my friend. I know she would be happy Girlie found a home full of love.

Here she is:

October 2012 Board: June Siggy
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I have 6 furbabies; 2 dogs and 4 bunnies.

My first love is Maggie (she's my avatar).  I found her under my car after work when she was just a puppy, it was 11 years ago this last January.  She is currently being tested for Cushing's disease, 2 years prior to that I had to have her eyes removed due to glaucoma.  My mom calls her the most expensive free dog she's ever met because she's had problems all her life.  Doesn't matter to me, she is the love of my life (besides FI) and I could not imagine the past 11 years without her.  When she goes, she's gonna take a piece of me with her.

Next is Jazmin, she's technically FI's dog, but she's been with me for 6.5 of her 8 years on earth so she's mine too!  She's my snuggle pup, Maggie's always been kind of standoffish so it's nice to have a dog that loves lovin'.

Then I have 4 rescue bunnies whom I absolutely adore, they have such personalities!!  Their names are Alaska, Gixxer, Takumi and Max. 

Alaska is my only girl, she's white with blue eyes, super pretty.  That being said, she's EVIL.  I call her the Monty Python bunny.  I'm the only one that can really do anything with her, she tries to bite everyone else.  She's the only one of my bunnies that has ever bit me.  She had a rough start, so I get it.  She's been with me for about 4.5 years now. 

Gixxer is a Black Otter mini rex.  He is, hands down, the most beautiful rabbit I have ever seen.  He got his name because he's super fast so he's named after the GSX-R.  FI races motorcycles and his track bikes are GSX-R's, or Gixxers for short.  He hates to be touched by anyone other than my FI, he LOVES him.  He too had a rough start, he found himself in a kill shelter when he was about 3 months old.  I think he was a cull from a breeder because he has a dewclaw that curves in towards his paw.  Gixxer and Alaska are bonded and live together.

Takumi is a mini rex mix.  He's white with grey spots and is my most affectionate bun, he loves to be cuddled, which is NOT a trait that most rabbits have!  When I got him from the shelter he was a baby so I think that's why he's so trusting.  He got his name from an anime show about drifting, the main character's name is Takumi Fugiwara.

Last but not least is Max, he looks like a wild bunny except he's about twice a wild rabbit's size.  He loves attention as long as you don't try to pick him up.  I am his 4th or 5th home, it amazes me that considering how much he's been shuffled around that he still wants so much to be loved. 

Well, that's my brood!!  Can you tell I'm a HUGE animal person Embarassed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    trawas, Harley is so beautiful!! 

ETA:  I didn't see everyone else's babies, I love them all.  Yay for this thread!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have a rat terrier. Well she was mine that I had gotten when I moved out on my own in 2007 so she is his by default. He loves her but sometimes she aggrevates him because she is so spoiled. He keeps saying he wants to get a big dog like Lab (male) and have it in the house but I have bad experiences with male dogs and I've had labs they love to chew EVERYTHING! Idk how to do pictures on here but here's a FB link to her picture http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100071030704&id=654050704&set=a.102198040704.172259.654050704&refid=0
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a 3 year old rescue bichon frise named Grover.  He is hypoallergenic (highly recommended hypoallergenic breed, and great with kids, mpjf!) and has the sweetest personality.  My FI is a "big dog" kind of guy, and really wanted a golden retriever, but Grover won him over :)

• Options
    KMUJMG, your story made me cry.  I'm so glad you were able to take Girlie!  Did the other dog find a good home?
  • Options
    I have a step-dog that my FI rescued in college. He is a ten-year-old Rott/Lab/Shepard mix named Rollins. His markings make him look like a killer, but he is as sweet as pie, as evidenced by this picture:

When FI and I met, I had my little kitten. Rhoda. She adopted my FI instantly. We were shocked to find out that she had feline leukemia. We had to have her put down in July. I miss her tons.

After we got over the initial heartbreak of losing her, we decided to get another cat. We didn't want Rollins to be alone, and he had taken to Rhoda. We adopted Methos (any Highlander fans?) a few months ago.

The boys bonded instantly. My FI sent me this picture this morning. They love our sunny front room!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Rocky is our Rotty. We got him right after we got our first apartment. He was 11 weeks old. He is going to be 8 in July. He is our baby. But he is completely attached to FI. He would not be able to live without FI.

Frankie is our 3 legged mutt. We got him 2 1/2 years ago (right after we bought our house). He is approximately 3 years old? He is a terror, but most of the time he makes us laugh. He is def. more attached to me though.

We will always have at least one dog.

ETA:
    http://tinypic.com/r/yz1c0/5

Damn cant get the picture to work. but they are on my avatar

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have a Calico kitty named Macey and a ginormous St Bernard named Romeo.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    I grew up with dogs and can't imagine my life without them. When I first started on-line dating (that's how I met FI), one of my criteria was that he must want or have dogs.

When I met FI, he had a dog (who's now "ours") and I was living with my mom and we had two dogs. FI prepped me to meet Sadie (his dog). He kept saying how crazy she was blah blah blah. I didn't believe him. The first time I met her, I brought a dog toy. She came barrelling down the stairs so fast I thought she was going to knock me right over! FI said that he was so impressed with how I handled her, he knew I was something special. :)

Now that I live with FI, Sadie is our baby. I still visit my mom's dogs often though. Sadie is 90 lb 3 year old yellow lab with the energy of a younger puppy. She is insane and when she jumps she can rest her paws on my shoulders. She's such a sweetheart. I love her.

• Options
    We do not currently have a fur baby but are seriously considering taking on a cat who belongs to a family member in order to keep her from being adopted out. We do however have a betta fish and my human baby I have from a previous relationhip. I'm not a dog person and FI agrees we'd never be able to properly care for a dog. 
    Married! 10.19.2012
  • Options
    We now have 3 rescue kitties Audrey, Sammy and the most recent addition Jasmine. First up Audrey our little prissy fluff ball of energy.

I had been bugging FI to get a pet for several months. We both grew up with pets and I had been without one for about a year. We knew with our work schedules a puppy wasn't an option so I started looking at cats. I wanted a black cat, I've had several and always found them to be the most affectionate. We were up in Chicago for Christmas and I mentioned to FI's youngest sister I was looking for black cats to adopt. She came home from the pet store one day and told me they had black cats. Begin operation Christmas kitties...

After all the Christmas festivities I had finally talked FI into going and looking. I walked around checked out all the animals and when I came to Sterling (Audey's shelter name) I stopped and had to have her. I was reading the little info card and it said she needed to be adopted with a friend around her age. Darn guess we're just going to have to get two. I talked to the shelter people to find out who they thought would be a good match for her and they pointed me to Kriby (Sammy's shelter name) another black cat I had looked at. Fi filled out the paperwork and we took the little cuties home, both were around 5 months old at the time. Those two are best friends and go everywhere together. Their favorite toys are anything with feathers and these stuffed sushi toys I got at Target this past Christmas.
    Audrey

Sammy

Our latest addition is Jasmine. She's around 12-13 years old. Back in July my friend moved and was only able to take 2 or her cats to the new place. My friend had raised her from a kitten and was going to have to send her to a shelter.  At their old house she had a problem with peeing on clothes and things so they had been keeping her in a small create in the basement. Her litterbox was taking up over half the cage and then add in a food and water bowl it was just no way for her to live. It looked like she had been using her litterbox in her cage so I determined as long as the box is kept clean and she can't smell other cats we wouldn't have the pee problem. I couldn't stand the thought of her going to a shelter so I talked FI into taking her. She's not a big fan of the young ones but has learned to deal with them and seems pretty happy with us. She sleeps in the weirdest positions sometimes though.

Jasmine

Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FI and I got a dog last May. I am a huge animal lover and don't believe in buying animals when there are so many that need good homes. FI knew I'd never move in with him if we didn't have a pet. A guy he works with knew someone that was going to take his lab to the shelter if no one wanted him. That's how we ended up with Boswell

This dog is the love of my life! He's a 5 year old chocolate lab. His former owners kept him crated for 12 hours a day so his hips are bad, but he gets a long pretty good. He has the biggest heart. I think they may have been mean to him because I've never heard him bark once the entire time we've had him. He's perfect for us. Brison loves him and he's not a huge dog person. This dog has my heart and it will kill me when something happens to him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had Nala for almost 2 years when I meet FI and she is my baby.  It was just me and her for a while before I meet him and she went every where with me; even work.  Unfortunately, she doesn't get along with FI two daughters and has snipped at them a few times.  I am lucky enough that my parents love her to pieces and have since "adopted" her from me and she now lives with them.  Since I work with my parents, I am still able to see her every day so I don't miss her as much as I would if she had gone to another home.

We now have Noel, our Christmas kitty.  She is a ball of energy but loves to cuddle, be held, play, and gets along really well with the girls.  She will lay with them and lets them pick her up and never bits or scratches them.  I'm so attached to her already and she is to us as well.  If we ever get up and go to another room, she has to follow us.  And she is always waiting by the door for us when we get home.

dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited February 2012

FI and I don't have any furbabies of our own, but we will soon! This little girlie is pregnant! Due in March, I cannot wait, they are going to be so stinking cute : )

Her name is Cookie and we kind of got her on accident, for free from my best friend's mom who breeds dogs. So that was pretty great.

We also have a bunch of cats, two who live inside and two who are supposed to be outside cats but they spend most of their time indoors in the winter, lol. They are pathetic! We used to have more because we had a slew of kittens and we have unfortunately lost three in the last year : (

This is Demi and her babies, she unfortunately passed away unexpectedly about eight months ago : ( We kept two of her babies, one lives inside and the other one lives outside.
     They're so sweet : )

This is Char. He is Demi's brother. FI and I really want to take him with us when we move in together but he has all his claws and we are a bit nervous about that. He is the sweetest cat ever. When he was a baby he would fall asleep in my arms on his back when I rubbed his nose.

And this is Katy, we found her in our front yard when she was just a kitten. We already had three cats inside so I figured she would just stay outside but my mom fell in love with her and we brought her in. She is a beautiful cat and has the softest fur... but she is EVIL. She will let you pet her and then in one second turn around and bite you for no reason. I enjoy terrorizing her, lol.
  • Options
    I LOVE seeing all these pics!!
    I have a 2.5 year old chocolate lab, that was just weighed in a little over 100 pounds at the vet! I was then told he is very healthy and at a good weight. OMG! He is seriously the love of my life. I wouldnt know what to do without him. He is like my son, he is just my life. You dont realize how special animals are to you.

Britt and Aimee - your pups are adorable. Britt, ive seen him before but he has gotten bigger!! Labs are puppies their entire lives. Im sorry to say, but I put my yellow lab down a year ago at the age of 14.5! He was a puppy every day, I just cant believe how much energy they have! I am a huge lab lover...if ya couldnt tell.

Oh, here's my little boy, Dale. :)

This was just a few months ago at a Dock Dog Competition. He took 3rd!!

Here is an older pic:

LAST one...this was for Halloween with his brother, yep they are twins!! (my mom has his brother): Brother Harley is "Trick", Dale is "Treat"

weddingpic
  • Options
    When I first moved in with the FI (then BF) three years ago, all I wanted was a dog... and the aparment we moved into didn't allow it. So a whole year went by and we decided to move so we could have a dog (and a dishwasher, but mostly the dog). About a month before we where to move to the new dog friendly place, we decieded to go "look". When we got there, they had nine puppies that had been released to be adopted that day at the shelter (we are big on the adoption thing).  So we looked at them and saw the little one and looked at her. She was calm, and cute and kinda wrinkled. We then looked at a shepard puppy who came in the room like a bat out of hell, so we knew she wouldn't fit with the two of us. We made a choice that day to adopt the first puppy, even though we hadn't moved because she was so cute we knew she would be taken. So my FI paid the adoption fee as my Bday gift. This is the picture we took of her at the shelter:
    We decided to change her name from Kit-Kat (all the puppies in the litter where named after candy bars), to Winnifred, the princess from Once Upon a Matress, we call her Winnie for short. 
    So the first few weeks we had to sneak her upstairs because our landlord would only let her be in the basement. But now she is almost 2, and I couldn't imagine my life without her. We call her our dogther. She is always so happy to see us and its the smartest dog ever, she learns new tricks in less than a day. 

We are looking to buy a house and maybe get her a sibling, but we'll see how it goes! This is a more recent picture:
    for siggy
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    My two babies Molly and Toby

• Options
    Flafishin--- I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a big pup. A lot of people react to our girl like she's a huge monster. She's a big girl...but she's sweet.

I'm definitely not used to labs..I grew up with small dogs like beagles and shih tzus. But I do love the energy, if only we could teach her a "relax" command :)
  • Options
    We have 2 cats, but i really want a dog! so we are currently looking for a dog that will complete our little fur family.
    We got Scout when he was 4 months old back in 2010 because we were both use to having animals and we missed having them when we moved in together. Right before we bought our house in August 2011, my moms one cat passed away so since we were staying at my moms til the house closed, my mom decided the second cat, Bandit, who was always mine, had to move with us since he would be lonely now that his best friend was gone.
    Bandit didnt like my FI at first but hes gotten used to him. Before he use to hide in the bed, and run when he saw him, now he will walk up to him, meow and have FI pet him.
    I thought I would have a pic of Scout in my email, but apparently not... I have tons on my phone.
    But here is Bandit, He loves Boxes!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards