October 2012 Weddings

QOTD (1/31)

Are you changing your name or keeping it the same?
Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: QOTD (1/31)

• I am changing it.  I can't wait.  :)
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Changing. My FI and I are both traditionalists so we're going old school.

But since I'm a teacher, my e-mail and things won't be officially changed until January (the start of the new semester).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Keeping it. I'll have my doctorate in a few years and I want my research from now to be linked to my professional name. Socially I'll probably just go by his to make him happy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Changing it...we're traditionalist too! 
    for siggy
  • Changing it. I have teased him about keeping my name and that does not make him happy, lol. He is very traditional. That's not to say he wouldn't let me of I really wanted to, but we'd both prefer for me to take his name.
  • Changing it for sure!  His last name is about 1/3 of the letters of my last name so it will be nice to have a simple and short new last name :)  He's also dead set on me changing it and it would probably break his heart if I didn't.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • I'm taking his name. I always planned to, plus my last name is difficult to pronounce so I'm looking forward to not having to hear all the butchery.
    Anniversary
  • I'm taking his last name, but I may keep mine as a second middle name. I'm not sure that I want to give it up completely.
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haven't 100% decided but most likely keeping + adding. I do not want to drop my last name since I am my Dad's only child and he is no longer living. I do not want to hyphenate either. I think I just want the whole thing and then socially just be a Brown..
  • edited January 2012
    Not sure. FI wants my to change it. I thought I would but the closer it gets the more I want to keep my name. I like it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Taking his name! I'm dropping my current middle name and making my maiden name my new middle name.
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Changing and taking my maiden name as my middle name. I'm screwed, though, because I'm going from a name no one can pronounce properly to...a name no one can pronounce properly. D'oh! LOL
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • <div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_qotd-131?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9175b25e-e5c4-423b-b7a6-bb8c7ad4ec1ePost:ad1752cb-b9f8-4e4f-8e57-6f2df9864121">Re: QOTD (1/31)</a>:</div>[QUOTE]Keeping it. I'll have my doctorate in a few years and I want my research from now to be linked to my professional name. Socially I'll probably just go by his to make him happy.
    Posted by trawas01[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup same here!  I should be a Ph.D. around this time next year and I want my publications to all have the same name on them.  Legally and professionally I'm keeping my name.  Socially, I'd prefer people to call me by my name but I'm ok if people use FI's name.  </div><div>
    </div><div>In my opinion you shouldn't have to change your name because FI wants you to.  It's your name and it should be your decision.  How would your FI feel if he had to change his name if that was the societal norm?  Keeping my name is what's right for me, changing it is what's right for others. </div>
  • I still have my XH's last name because I didn't want to have to go through the hassel of changing it back to my maiden name on my SS card and paying more money to have it changed on my driver's license, so I will be changing it to his last name.
  • I'm changing mine, because I hate my current last name.  I'll just drop it and take his instead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Changing it.  His last name isn't that different from my last name, actually... 

I'm also taking my maiden name as my middle.  My dad adopted me when he married my mom, so I want to hold on to his last name as well.

Love these QOTDs!
  • Changing it! So excited! I love my future last name...
  • Changing it!! Definitely a traditionalist with this part - I'm excited actually!
  • I'm taking my FI name and dropping mine completely. I am going to use my maiden name as a middle name for our first child though.

October '12
    ~MARRIED 10.11.12~
  • My last name is pretty hard to pronouce so I'm looking forward to a much simplier last name.  It feels a little strange that I will be losing a name that has been mine for 32 years!

Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_qotd-131?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9175b25e-e5c4-423b-b7a6-bb8c7ad4ec1ePost:19fb102a-611b-4f9a-a1d5-d82c3e6b2265">Re: QOTD (1/31)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm screwed, though, because I'm going from a name no one can pronounce properly to...a name no one can pronounce properly. D'oh! LOL
    Posted by pockysquirrel[/QUOTE]

Ditto! One odd German last name to another. :)

What do you gals think about this... obviously we're getting married in October, which is one month into the school year for me (I'm a school psychologist). Should I change my name in September at the school (obviously not legally yet), so the kids don't have to adjust one month in to a new name?
  • I'm still on the fence. I always said I would keep my name, but I am starting to think I might decide to change it.
    For: My name is first name and last name goes well together. same number of letters, double n in the same place, two e's is similar places, last letter is the same (e). I got my education under my name and I want to get my phd in the next 5 years of which i always wanted to be Dr. my last name...
    Against: fathers last name, bad/non-existent relationship so no real reason to keep a name i don't have a connection with, my name gets botched all the time, getting sick of getting called "wiener" because that's what my last name sounds like and fi name is more common so less likely to be botched, have two last names which i could drop if i changed my last name...
    the against is really starting to gain traction. it will probably be a last minute decision when it comes time to get the license...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was really excited to change because I thought that my last name was pretty boring and apparently have found over the years several others with the same name.  Then I come to find out that my FI's cousin's wife and I will have the same name once I change. What are the chances, especially since the new last name is not that common.  Ah, well!  I'll still change.
  • Changing it. :)  I work at a hospital and I wont be changing it there besides whatever is legal, email and badge will have my maiden name. I have been there for over 6 years, born there, my sister works here mash sometimes, and my mom has worked there for almost 30 years.
    weddingpic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_qotd-131?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9175b25e-e5c4-423b-b7a6-bb8c7ad4ec1ePost:34eed312-c33a-4025-a0ac-1da6cac481c6">Re: QOTD (1/31)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD (1/31) : Ditto! One odd German last name to another. :) What do you gals think about this... obviously we're getting married in October, which is one month into the school year for me (I'm a school psychologist). Should I change my name in September at the school (obviously not legally yet), so the kids don't have to adjust one month in to a new name?
    Posted by aimeek420[/QUOTE]

Hah! My maiden name is German. My future married name is Danish, though. :)

I'd be in favor of changing it at the beginning of the school year, provided your employers are okay with it. It'd probably be less confusing to the kids that way. Also, I want your job.
    October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image
  • I will add FI's last name but not sure if want to drop mine completely.    If I drop it completely the name will die out, there will be no one to carry it on and that makes me kinda sad.
  • I will change mine. I'm going from one extremely common last name to another.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_qotd-131?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:9175b25e-e5c4-423b-b7a6-bb8c7ad4ec1ePost:ac2d63ce-0e54-43e2-a6a8-126186658cef">Re: QOTD (1/31)</a>:
    [QUOTE]'d be in favor of changing it at the beginning of the school year, provided your employers are okay with it. It'd probably be less confusing to the kids that way. Also, I want your job.
    Posted by pockysquirrel[/QUOTE]

My job is pretty sweet. I love my kiddos, even if it is a tough population. I blog about education and my shenanigans if you're interested in checking it out! <a href="http://firstyearschoolpsych.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">Click here</a>. :)
  • Definitely changing it. I am going to be a married woman and a professional. I think we can have both. I cannot wait!
  • Changing it.

My current last name will become a second middle name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards