October 2012 Weddings

Wedding Gown Preservation

Hello ladies...

I want to get my wedding dress cleaned and preserved. If I have a daugheter one day, I doubt she'll want to wear my dress but I'd like it preserved for sentemental reasons. Also, maybe someone will want to use a piece of the lace, and my younger cousins have said that they want to wear my veil when they get married. 

I called the store where I bought my dress, and they said they would take care of everything (sending it to a cleaner, preserving it, and mailing it back to me) for $185. That seemed like a GREAT deal to me (and bonus points for being very little effort on my part!), but I was just wondering what everyone else paid?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wedding Gown Preservation

• I didn't get it done yet. But I did get two quotes $215 and $125. So you're right in the middle of my two. The $125 I got surprised me.
  • Seems reasonable to me.

I'm not cleaning mine until after my TTD shoot in January.
    Anniversary
  • what exactly is gown preservation?  i dry cleaned mine and it's hanging in my husband's closet...i hope that if i have a daughter, she will want to wear it.  but i thought preserving meant you couldn't wear it again.
  • I got a $189 preservation kit at David's Bridal when I bought my dress for $99. Just went in this week to pack it up and mail it out. Should be back within 6-8 weeks.
    Just my two cents! Penny L G M
  • edited November 2012
    The dry cleaner I'm going to take my dress to has a coupon in one of those Clipper magazines for $149 so I think yours is a good price.  I keep forgetting to bring it in...
  • David's bridal gave me a deal of $99 plus tax (because I was too lazy to go to the store), it just got here, I have to put it in the box and bring to Fedex store, easy peasy
  • I'm glad you posted this because I had a coupon so I took mine into be cleaned and it was $125....no preservation.  I thought it was terribly expensive, but did it.

• I'm worried about cleaning cost, haven't checked it out yet
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • I paid about 240 for the cleaning and preserving [after a 25 gift card]. Yours definitely seems like a more reasonable price to me. With the company that I went through, apparently they'll reseal the dress in the box free of charge if I take it out. From the way it sounded, I could do it whenever/however often I want and it would still be free. I'm thinking that's possibly why the cost was so much higher?
    photo 8772_10102412474713255_135784916_n.jpg
  • If you bought your dress at David's bridal they give you a discount for the preservation kit. I got mine for just under 140 with the tax. They packed it for me and all I did was drop it off at FedEx and got it back about 2 weeks later.
    Anniversary
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_wedding-gown-preservation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:92c049b0-2845-40c5-ab08-e7a3a8163be9Post:08acedc2-bf92-408a-bc0e-f1e0f2bb9425">Re: Wedding Gown Preservation</a>:
    [QUOTE]what exactly is gown preservation?  i dry cleaned mine and it's hanging in my husband's closet...i hope that if i have a daughter, she will want to wear it.  but i thought preserving meant you couldn't wear it again.
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

<div>It's when they not only dry clean your dress, but they also pack the dress in an archival safe box. Usually the box has a clear top, so that you can still see part of your dress. The preservation process uses acid free materials so that your dress doesn't yellow and the fabric doesn't weaken over time. You can take the dress out of the box if someone wanted to wear it again, and then get it cleaned and preserved once again when they are done with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I did not get my dress from David's Bridal, I bought it from a localy owned small boutique. The store I bought it from is offering something similar to what David's does. The price is comparable to what you guys paid, and it's very little effort on my part : )</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_wedding-gown-preservation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:92c049b0-2845-40c5-ab08-e7a3a8163be9Post:08acedc2-bf92-408a-bc0e-f1e0f2bb9425">Re: Wedding Gown Preservation</a>:
    [QUOTE]what exactly is gown preservation?  i dry cleaned mine and it's hanging in my husband's closet...i hope that if i have a daughter, she will want to wear it.  but i thought preserving meant you couldn't wear it again.
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

<div>It's when they not only dry clean your dress, but they also pack the dress in an archival safe box. Usually the box has a clear top, so that you can still see part of your dress. The preservation process uses acid free materials so that your dress doesn't yellow and the fabric doesn't weaken over time. You can take the dress out of the box if someone wanted to wear it again, and then get it cleaned and preserved once again when they are done with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I did not get my dress from David's Bridal, I bought it from a localy owned small boutique. The store I bought it from is offering something similar to what David's does. The price is comparable to what you guys paid, and it's very little effort on my part : )</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards