October 2012 Weddings

Ceremony Times

I know this is a very general question but how long do ceremonies usually take?

I am trying to figure out what time to schedule mine at if my reception starts at 4 (4-5 is cocktail hour).  We are not going to have a super lengthy ceremony I know that much and our reception site is about 2 blocks away so there will not be alot of travel time.

I am going to also talk to the pastor and hear his suggestions but I figured I should ask brides as well!
I've loved you since I was 8 years old...
243 Invited image
171 Are ready to party! image
70 Are party poopers! image
2 Said they can't give an answer until a week before the wedding..EXCUSE ME?!!! image
RSVP Deadline WAS September 20th!

Re: Ceremony Times

• At my church they're about 30 minutes. Defintiely ask your pastor - there's usually a "standard" at each church but it will also depend on how many WP members you have, readings, songs, etc.
    Anniversary
  • Okk..and since our cocktail hour and reception are in the same room and that starts at 4 , and the fact that our church is seconds from our reception should I time it so that there is no gap between? Is it rude for the guests not to be able to get into the reception room right away?

I was thinking of having the ceremony end at 3.30 but then I would feel bad that they need to wander the town for a half hour?
    243 Invited image
    2 Said they can't give an answer until a week before the wedding..EXCUSE ME?!!! image
  • I don't think that a half hour is a big deal especially in the event that things start a little late or go a little longer.  Are you doing a receiving line right after the cermony?  That can take time also.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Oh yes we are! I did not even consider that!
    243 Invited image
  • I think 30 minutes would be fine. It gives you time for the receiving line and also everyone can have a chance to hit the bathroom to touch up make-up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks ladies! Im glad I asked since I hadnt even thought of the recieving line!

My Reception doors open at 4 so Im setting the ceremony for 3!

243 Invited image
  • Mine is going to be about 30 minutes, maybe less. We aren't getting married at a church but we will be married by a pastor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't forget to account for some time to take pictures inbetween if you are planning on doing that! I didn't see anyone mention that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards