October 2012 Weddings

Are drink tickets really THAT bad?

2»

Re: Are drink tickets really THAT bad?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_are-drink-tickets-really-that-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b08194d8-3282-4aaf-982e-7cfce752ac00Post:2c3c67b5-f60a-44a8-9833-110e4d43c25a">Re: Are drink tickets really THAT bad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are drink tickets really THAT bad? : I think it would be worse to show up, have an "open bar" and then go up later for a drink only to be told "we ran out" or "we met the bar quota already."
    Posted by Simply_Caitlin[/QUOTE]

I agree. I appreciate all the sugestions but this doesn't sit quite right with me.
    Anniversary
  • I'm curious what the price difference is between paying for open bar versus a set number of drinks (which is what the couple would be doing with drink tickets).  I agree that "we ran out" sounds bad, although as I guest I would prefer "it's a dry bar now, would you like a soda" rather than "where's your drink ticket?"

In my area a lot of places stop serving alcohol about an hour before the event ends to help prevent drunk driving, etc.  That's why I didn't think it would be weird to have open bar for a few hours and then close it down or switch to juice/soda.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I often feel rather out of place on this board for my opinion, but luckily FI shares it with me. I don't want alcohol at my wedding, period. I don't want people getting drunk on my dime, and I don't want people making drunken fools out of themselves even if it's a cash bar. I often feel I'm the only Knottie that is having a dry wedding! Tongue Out

That being said, I think your option would give people MORE than enough drinks to satisfy them. I don't personally know anyone that would have more than 2 glasses of wine plus 3 additional drinks at a social function.

Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_are-drink-tickets-really-that-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b08194d8-3282-4aaf-982e-7cfce752ac00Post:c6e78637-4ecd-40b7-ad01-80769830d621">Re: Are drink tickets really THAT bad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious what the price difference is between paying for open bar versus a set number of drinks (which is what the couple would be doing with drink tickets).  I agree that "we ran out" sounds bad, although as I guest I would prefer "it's a dry bar now, would you like a soda" rather than "where's your drink ticket?" In my area a lot of places stop serving alcohol about an hour before the event ends to help prevent drunk driving, etc.  That's why I didn't think it would be weird to have open bar for a few hours and then close it down or switch to juice/soda.
    Posted by lenergyrlah[/QUOTE]

At my venue, the price of an all-inclusive open bar is $24 per person. Otherwise, wine, beer and liquor is $4 each. So we know by giving people 3 tickets, the most it will cost us is $12 per person on top of the cost of wine on the tables and a champagne toast.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_are-drink-tickets-really-that-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:b08194d8-3282-4aaf-982e-7cfce752ac00Post:477b4b6f-b8d2-4278-9ffb-18a4385144b8">Re: Are drink tickets really THAT bad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, everyone here's so much nicer than... well, every other place I've seen this asked! Personally I don't see the issue. they're still getting a couple free drinks. People would flame me for this on E board, but we're doing cash bar.  Financially speaking, our options are either cash bar or dry wedding.  In my family, dry weddings are kind of expected, and FI's never even heard of a wedding that wasn't cash bar for everything. FI's relatives would actually consider it more rude to have a dry wedding than a cash bar! Plus to them we're already being generous by hosting sodas ;)  So if it's the cultural norm, why not?
    Posted by DeannaCW[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed! Everywhere else I look about this topic the comments are sooo nasty! </div><div>We are thinking about doing drink ticket as well. Cash bars are very very common in our area, and not a lot of people drink beer or wine in our families to do free beer or wine. We are more hard liquor people.</div><div>I think with the economy now days nobody will mind about drink tickets because a free drink is a free drink.</div><div>Have you thought of how you will disperse them? That is my next step. :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live in South Dakota and here cash bar or having a few kegs of beer for everyone is the norm. In fact none of the venues that I have looked at have any sort of alcohol included in the wedding packages. Everything is per drink
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards