Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Re: Tuesday Weigh-In

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my first fitting on Saturday and it went really well! I can definitely see a difference in my arms and back. They'll never been thin, but I do see more definition, which is great.  A few weeks ago, the dress fit really well, but on Saturday I had to keep pulling it up!  I was really happy with that.

That being said, this past weekend I fell off the wagon and headfirst into a pool of autumn mix candy corn and wine (not togther, ick).  My next fitting is next Wednesday the 8th, so back on track for me! :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No thanks. ha, jk, It is always the same. Same same same... I need to just stop sitting around on my kid free time and do my DVDs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    B2B - do you have a good stock of videos, or are you using on demand?  I used to LOVE the Firm videos.  I had two that were my staples.  I pulled one out the other day when I didn't feel like going to the gym and I got suck a good overall workout!  Let me know if you want recs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is the video I keep putting off haha. I got a kit with a ball and a jump rope. I have the 30 Day Shred too. IDK why I am so afraid of the firm....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been really good this week in particular because I want to feel good about myself in a bathing suit and my dresses in Vegas.  I am down 2 this week!  I had my 2nd fitting last week and I felt so great.  My dress had to be taken in a little more! woo hoo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tacc - awesome!!! great job! :-)

B2B - Which Firm videos do you have? Their videos are tough but really good.  Do lots of stretching after!  I also really love The Method for all things pilates and yoga.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have gained 3 lbs since stopping my BC pills, so now I need to take action.  Being the same wasnt a huge issue, but gaining is.   I have a meeting with a personal trainer at LA Fitness today, and am going to explore some other options.  I tend to do better/commit to things when I have a scheduled appointment.  Obviously the random stuff I am doing myself is not working, so hopefully a trainer can point me in a different direction.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been a terrible terrible bride ;)

I changed my availability last night to only work MWF shifts. So I will be hitting the gym every Tues Thurs Sat Sun starting next Tuesday for the next 3 months. My eating habits have been crap too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim - good luck with the trainer!  Also, if you're looking for more structure, I always liked when I signed up for a race or something and had a training schedule to follow.  Email me if you want some ideas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_tuesday-weigh-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:387d0b49-d0d7-47fc-9801-b6920f7e8be5Post:d8a6e8a7-59a3-424c-afc0-2f2fc90fff59">Re: Tuesday Weigh-In</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tacc - awesome!!! great job! :-) B2B - Which Firm videos do you have? Their videos are tough but really good.  Do lots of stretching after!  I also really love The Method for all things pilates and yoga.
    Posted by caraellen23[/QUOTE]

good job tacc!

cara- the boot camp one. That might be why I am afraid.

If I gain weight from getting off BC I will be mad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no clue what the scale says, but I confess I haven't been good with my eating and haven't been back in the gym since the honeymoon.  Now that my new tattoo is healed up, I plan to get back in the gym tonight or tomorrow.  New tattoos and excessive sweating is no good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a place called Slim and Tone near my house and I'm trying to figure out if this is a good deal or not... 

Basically it's almost like Curves, being a small work out area for women only.  They do have an area in the back for classes though.  In the actual "gym" it's just a very small amount of resistance machines and a few eliptical machines.  So nothing to replace LA fitness.  HOWEVER, their "thing" is that you pay for personal training sessions, not for access to the gym/classes.  So it's $28 for an hour session (which isnt bad considering LA is the same price for a 30 min session).  You have to prepay for a 16 session/8 week package.  Once you do that, you basically get those training sessions (they recommend using them 2x per week) and during that time period you can come anytime you want for their classes (yoga, pilates, zumba) and if you want to use their machines.  So I am considering this as an option too.  

I think I would keep my LA fitness membership though, because after the training sessions are over I would not pay to keep going to slim and tone because I don't feel I'll need the training as often after 16 sessions/8 weeks.  I can always go back if I need a refresher though (but if you do that, you need to do another 16 session package, so prob not worth it unless I really need help!)

Thoughts?  Basically for an 8 week "boot camp" sort of package - personal training 2x per week and then on my own the remainder of the week, it would cost me about $450.   I called around to a few other personal trainers in the area and the costs are a lot higher, and they give you way less.  

Sidenote - I drug my mom with me (begrudgingly) to the consultation I had with the lady and she's thinking of signing up too now, haha.   She loved the idea that it was super small, all women, and they have a trainer who caters to women over 50.   LA Fitness feels threatening to her.   
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been good especially since I had my bparty this past weekend. But I also had my 2nd fitting and the dress fits like a glove. It's a tad tight but I like it because it makes my boobs look good haha. It's funny though because I can't lose anymore weight otherwise it'll be loose. So I am actually allowed to eat bad stuff to maintain weight since I still am working out. Go figure! This definitely a first in my life!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim - What time do you go to LA Fitness?? I lost my gym buddy to pregnancy lol so maybe we could coordinate something. Gym buddies always help. I am basically cardio focused right now and trying to go at least 4 days a week (this is all as of last week)
    One of my co-workers belongs to Slim and Tone and she really likes it. I don't know if she knows about the personal training sessions though. From what she says she just goes in the AM and does the circuit training.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooh.  I tend to go late afternoons but I am flexible.  The only time I can't do are mornings, I am horrible at waking up early to go the gym.  What time do you go?   I lost my one of my gym buddies to pregnancy and another to Planet Fitness (ruth!) but when I was going with them I was definitely way more motivated.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As a group fitness instructor, I might be a little biased, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE group fitness.  Yes, this can get a little pricey, depending on where you are taking classes, but if you can figure out a way to make this fit your budget, I highly recommend it.  Most gyms have a lot of variety of classes, so they usally have something for everyone.  Group fitness not only gives you people to work out with every day, but it also gives you a sense of accountability.  I know that personally, as an instructor, I offer to e-mail people to remind them to come to classes, as I'm sure most instructors will do.  Also, if you're seeing the same people every week, you not only form friendships and want to see those people, but you know that if you skip a class, someone is going to notice.  If anyone wants any recommendations for specific classes or types of classes, I can help you come up with some sort of weekly routine.  I also find that it's good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while - finding new challenges for yourself and setting new goals is always a great way to stay motivated, and you never know where you may find a new comfort zone.

I know I sound like an advertisement for group fitness, but I really do enjoy it and feel passionately about it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No offense, but I hate working out with other people.  I want to get in, work out hard and get out.  No talking/laughing or taking breaks when someone else wants to.  And I also like working out in a regular gym with men.  I don't wear spandex and I use free weights.  I used to love working out in college with the men's bball and football teams right next to me.  That's motivation to not be a weak "girl" and do a real workout!

I feel like this is a confession...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim - just to remind/let you know, you can freeze your LA Fitness membership for $10 a month if you want to stop going and try this other place for a while.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a morning gym girl (Like 5:30 or 6:00 am). It is really hard to get up but if I don't I won't go because I work late some nights and generally have other obligations in the evenings or I'm just lazy.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've unfortunately gained since I first bought my dress this spring. Gah! I did my first fitting last week and was upset to see that I can REALLY see all those extra pounds. The dress was a nearly perfect fit when I bought it...now they're really letting it out and I am hoping that the dress being let out and my work to "take myself in" will be enough to get me back to how awesome I felt in that dress this spring! Yikes.

(all with less than a month to go til the wedding!)

Weigh-in this morning shows I'm headed in the right direction, though. I've been strict on my Weight Watchers this week, even with my bridal shower Saturday. Off to go take a lunchtime walk! heh!

8 days til fitting 2!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Intlulu - good luck!! You should be fine. :-)  Lots of water and exercise,  stay low sodium.  All the healthy things you know from WW.
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    I've been on and off the fitness wagon for a while.  But I went with my sister (MOH) to try on the sample of the dress I bought, and she took a bunch of pictures.  It was a *lights on* moment when I saw them so I am recommiting.  I bought the boot camp pass for $20 on Living Social yesterday, which is a good start.  I am starting Tuesday after Labor Day.  I mentioned to FI my weight loss goals too, and he's coming up with a training plan (he ran division I cross country in college), so I am hoping that will help.  Plus, he's the person I eat with the most, so if he knows about my weight loss goals, he is less likely to order in pizza and wings. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_tuesday-weigh-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:387d0b49-d0d7-47fc-9801-b6920f7e8be5Post:e38e9341-3d68-498a-8dae-dd6c57c370c5">Re: Tuesday Weigh-In</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been on and off the fitness wagon for a while.  But I went with my sister (MOH) to try on the sample of the dress I bought, and she took a bunch of pictures.  It was a *lights on* moment when I saw them so I am recommiting.  I bought the boot camp pass for $20 on Living Social yesterday, which is a good start.  I am starting Tuesday after Labor Day.  I mentioned to FI my weight loss goals too, and he's coming up with a training plan (he ran division I cross country in college), so I am hoping that will help.  Plus, he's the person I eat with the most, so if he knows about my weight loss goals, he is less likely to order in pizza and wings. 
    Posted by ev4149[/QUOTE]

For some reason, no matter what salon you are in or who you have taking pictures, personal camera photos of you in your wedding gown are never flattering.  I don't understand it, but everyone seems to complain about it.

And mmmmmmmm wings!  Football starts next Sunday!   LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_tuesday-weigh-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:387d0b49-d0d7-47fc-9801-b6920f7e8be5Post:561c7f58-2573-40ac-814b-d5acf2fcf48c">Re: Tuesday Weigh-In</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuesday Weigh-In : For some reason, no matter what salon you are in or who you have taking pictures, personal camera photos of you in your wedding gown are never flattering.  I don't understand it, but everyone seems to complain about it. And mmmmmmmm wings!  Football starts next Sunday!   LOL
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

SO SO true!! I also find this to be the same for in-salon pics of your hair and makeup trials.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The flash is brutal on makeup photos.  I looked like a clown in one of the first pics I took of myself in my makeup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I heard that too, so on my next trial, I took them with the flash off. I think there were overhead lights though, becuase all I saw were bags under my eyes. You couldn't see my eyeshadow at all.

I think that's why I now giggle when I see everyone's self portriats in their driver's seats after trials.  You do get good lighting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow that's good to know... I won't waste my time or hurt my feelings trying to take pictures at the fittings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Haha!  I haven't had a make up trial yet, but I'll keep the "no flash" rule in mind...

Maybe I will make my own wings and bake them.... that could be good... and healthy.. right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    baking them is MUCH healthier :)  let us know if you do them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards