DC

Reception Ideas?

So I always prided myself on not being one of those women that has had their wedding planned since they were 6. Now that I am starting to plan, I am slowly regretting never thinking about my big day before now lol.

My FI doesn't have any opinions on anything wedding related other than wanting to be by water so all I've got to go on is that. We live in DC and I was hoping for something nearby (within 2 hrs) so that we can check it out and do the tastings and all that lovely stuff that comes with it. I've always wanted something outdoors with a tent maybe and also, in this Pinterest age, I am really interested in DIY and not a packaged deal. We were looking at about 150 people and our budget is $10k (but I want it for less, my parents dont realize they have 2 other girls that will be getting married one day lol)

Any advice?? Let me know if I forgot anything....

Re: Reception Ideas?

• Hmmm...by the water in this area can be quite expensive but if you are savvy enough with your vendors, etc. you may be able to get in around that amount.  Try Oxon Hill Manor but I am pretty sure that may be over your budget unless you are willing to go with an off season date.   There are also options in Annapolis that may work for you.  Here's a link to a thread here on TK discussing Annapolis options on the water.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland_cheap-wedding-water-annapolis

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• When you say by the water, what do you mean? Because if you just want it to be by a body of water, as opposed to on the Potomac or Chesapeake, you could go all sorts of cool places within a two hour drive. Harper's Ferry, Great Falls, somewhere on the banks of the Rappahannock, etc.
  • I just booked the Oxon Hill Manor and it is $4400 for a 7- hour Saturday night. It is a beautiful, unique venue with gorgeous gardens, a reflective pool and a view of the DC harbor. Starting next April they will have a permanent silk tent with chandeliers on the patio. The people there are great so worth the look. You can also check out Herrington on the Bay which could possibly be in your price range or at least really close. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He means any body of water, from the ocean to a waterfall to a lake to a river lol. Maybe we will just take a drive to a bunch of different locations one day and see if something catches our eyes. 

Oxon Hill might just be too 'elegant' for us, our wedding theme will probably be vintage geek (lots of superheros, video games, .....harry potter etc. lol) and it looks like it might be TOO nice for us! But I definitely saved it as a vendor to come back to, those gardens are just so beautiful!

Thanks for the responses! The help means alot, I dont really have alot of people to talk to about it, my MOH doesnt really have opinions on weddings (thanks sis!) and MOB and I just get frustrated with each other. Am I venting? Anyways all the info is greatly appreciated!
  • I was going to suggest the tordepo factory in alexandria but they are 5K

If all he wants is water I am getting married at Thorpewood just past Fredrick,MD that has stone bridge over the creek and an actual pond on the other end of the property shaded by a beutiful willow tree. They have the cutest little cabin right there (that is perfect for the wedding night haha) 

I know a Sunday is 3,000 and I am sure it is a little more for a sat but you get the place for 8hrs all to yourself, table and chairs for 100 people , you do have to use thier caterer who's main kitchen is actually on site. The cake price is decent at 4$ a person ( we are doing a display cake and then a sheet cake for 2.50 a person) and we been reading reviews on the cake people were raving about it. 

The place does have a woodsy feel to it.(it a 155 acre retreat property on top of the moutain with aurburetum, pine chapel, icelandic horses and a chestnut orchard, just a very earthy. 

I would look into parks, Brokside garden was not my cup of tea but it might be yours.

I wish I had sisters or my FI had sisters so It be easier to pick bridesmaids LOL.

One of my friends got married 5 years ago. Her program was a comic book of thier relationship, the bowties were made from comic books, the caketopper was louis lane and superman .

Remeber that those personal touchs of you and your FI are what will touch your guests.
    If you want to add some vintage geek you might want to think about steampunk elements with the Dr Who out of this world feel. I think it would be an fun wedding.
  • We used the Maryland Yacht Club and they would definitely be within your price range. It's in Pasadena, MD--About an hour from DC.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_reception-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:57Discussion:087bf6f6-c889-4a9c-94e0-64c5909b7909Post:9e2b3764-1bdb-477f-ab58-bef8dbe552ff">Re: Reception Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE] If you want to add some vintage geek you might want to think about steampunk elements with the Dr Who out of this world feel. I think it would be an fun wedding.
    Posted by artisticjewishbride2013[/QUOTE]

We will absolutely have steampunk elements and of course Doctor Who stuff, I like that idea about comic book bow ties, gonna have to find those or make them. Thanks for the advice on the venues I will look into it all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards