DC
Options

Your thought?

stacie1044stacie1044 member
First Comment

Hey Ladies,

I wanted to get your thoughts on an idea I have. I am working on a pretty tight budget, but I have grand expectations. :) I really want a string quartet to play during my ceremony, but most quotes I have received are way past anything I could afford. $300+ for a half hour just seems ridiculous to me.

So, my idea is to reach out to a local high school and see if there are any seniors who would be interested in making a little extra money and also get free food in exchange for playing some simple songs as people take their seats at the ceremony, and the three songs I’ve selected (all songs I have heard high school orchestras play before) for the bridal party processional, my entrance, and the recessional.

Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you have heard of this being done before. Even if you haven’t, I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback. Am I pushing the line of acceptable budget ideas?

Re: Your thought?

• Options
    island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think you are thinking out of the box which is a great way to work around your budget.  My suggestions is to go try colleges/universities first.  Those majoring in music may be perfect for your needs.  If that doesn't work, then head to the high schools particularly Duke Ellington or other schools specializing in the performing arts. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea!  If for some reason that doesn't work out and you really need to save money, I've recently discovered Vitamin String Quartet and their music is amazing!  I will be using them for my wedding cermony.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sure, people get high school students to perform at their weddings.  It can certainly be budget-friendly.  I would caution you though, you pay for more than just competent musicians when you hire professionals.  You pay for someone who is well-rehearsed, dresses appropriately, knows how to work with your venue coordinator, has performed at other weddings, etc.

I like PP's suggestion of Vitamin String Quartet (or another group you find acceptable) and find a friend to operate an iPod.  That way, you'll know the music will be what you want and you won't have any worries that might come with shepherding high schoolers on your wedding day.
  • Options
    stacie1044stacie1044 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies. I will be taking a look at your suggestions. The wedding is going to be outside in a vineyard so we would really love the feeling that comes along with live music. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great idea! His younger cousins can all play instruments and this may be a great way to include his family in the process.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also had a quartet in mind but couldn't swing it but I found that a cello/violin was very doable. I got one for $500 for 2 1/2 hours. http://www.sagestringquartet.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards