DC
Options

NWR - Moving jitters

So one of my BM's referred to the location of my new home as being on the outskirts of society. This coming from a girl who backpacked all over SE Asia and Australia for a year and has lived in NYC for the past year!!FI and I have been going through real estate market madness for the past few months. He's still being pissy about the commute but we finally settled on a place in Gainesville - borderline Haymarket on Rt.29 and 15. We both have grown up, hung out, worked, etc., in No.VA proper (Reston/Herndon/FFX, etc) so moving out to Gainesville was really a last resort. However, I absolutely love the unit (it's a condo/townhouse, new build) and it's such a great bang for our buck! And it's all happening really fast - we got the last available unit before December deliveries so it's already built and if all goes well, we go to settlement in three weeks.FI's circle of friends is in the Centreville/Chantilly area and he works in Tysons. I work in Herndon so commute/location was a huge sticking point. We're both not happy about it but the place is so beautiful and the community still developing that we're (pretty) sure we're making a good investment. Most of our friends are very supportive and happy, but we do get some dissenting or "Uggghh, why so far?!" comments often enough that it's making me nervous!!Does any one know of any short cuts from that area to get around traffic? Does anyone live out in that direction? Do you really get used to the commute like they all say you do? I mean...people commute 45 minutes plus on the Beltway all day every day all the time...right!? Support please! LOLThanks ladies :)

Re: NWR - Moving jitters

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that area myself, but I do have a friend who grew up in Haymarket and she has nothing but good things to say about it. Her parents still live there and people are always going over for parties and events - the distance doesn't make a difference. From what I hear it's a beautiful area. That was a pretty nasty comment from your friend. It's really hard to find affordable real estate in this area, and if you like the place, that's all that matters. And you're right about the commute thing... I drive an hour every day from Alexandria to Tysons. As far as I'm concerned, living in this area, you're going to have a commute no matter what (unless you live and work in the same town). Congrats on your new place! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and good luck! It takes time butt here are some shortcuts out there. I don't know that area too well. I lived in Sterling and commuted to DC for about 6 months. You get better at managing the commute- i.e. you figure out when to leave, move start time, stay later, work out at work.... it sucks but its DC/NOVA and alot of people do it. Enjoy your new home :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't live in the Haymarket area, but I'm nearby in Manassas.  As far as I know, there are no easy ways to Tysons (I also work in Tysons) and I wish there were.  I am also going through the stress of finding a decent commute to and from work, but haven't found one yet.  If anyone knows, please help! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MHeming - how long is your average commute right now? What time do you usually leave? I've done the drive from Herndon to our new place twice this week. The first time took me 45 minutes (which I expected), the second took me an hour (not quite expected). I'm trying to add his time to that and I'm thinking...maybe an hour on a good day, 1.5 on a bad?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My commute takes anywhere between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours.  Depends on traffic, weather, accidents, etc.  I leave between 7:45 and 8:00am and get to my office around 9.  I should leave earlier, but I already hate my commute.  lolI've been strongly debating getting a job closer to home, but just haven't had the motivation to job search, since the pickings are so slim right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards