DC
Options

Cocktail wedding reception, anybody? :-/

Hi all, My fiance and I would like to have a cocktail wedding reception. Some of our family members (such as our parents) have never met; we are a bit scattered across the globe. We figured a cocktail reception would save money and make the atmosphere conducive to mingling. Our priorities are food, ambiance, good music, and photos. Do you have any recommendations for a venue for a cocktail wedding reception in the VA-DC-MD area? Even if you don't live in that area but you have tips for a cocktail reception, please share! Thanks! 24-year-old wife-to-be... HELP!

Re: Cocktail wedding reception, anybody? :-/

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had one, and it went well.  However, if you are working with a caterer, in many instances a cocktail reception is more expensive than a seated dinner.  (The labor involved in making a bunch of bite-sized things is greater than if you had one bigger thing.)  To the extent the idea is to save money, you may want to check on this.
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a cocktail-style reception, also known as a stations party. Basically a full meal, just without the assigned seating. :) More focus on mingling and socializing.We're getting married at Overhills Mansion near Baltimore (www.overhillsmansion.com ), we're having 9 food stations, includingEuropean cheeses and crackersVeggies with various dipsCranberry BBQ meatballsTomato Florentine soup in little mugsGreen saladVirginia ham biscuitsRoast beef carving stationSome kind of chicken dishAsian sesame noodlesAnd then a "late-night" station with spinach-artichoke dip, chips, salsa, pretzels, etc. And an open bar for 4 hours... and it's all less than $50/person! You can bring in your own liquor, which saves a TON of money. Plus the mansion is gorgeous, and the main ballroom is large enough to have everyone in the same place... pretty rare for historic homes, usually large parties have to be broken up into several smaller rooms. We're having our ceremony there as well.Email me if you have any specific questions, tracy21974 (at) gmail-dot-com. :)
  • Options
    razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not doing this, but think it is a great idea! I've often heard that the cocktail hour is usually the best part (food wise) of the wedding. As with any vendor/type of meal, check around with different catering companies and compare prices. This may not be a huge price saver, especially for caterers/venues that have a high food and bev. minimum. But if you shop around I'm sure you'll find something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing one (at Strathmore Music Center).  Costs are NOT cheaper in terms of food (assuming you are doing enough to keep people full) but it does save a little on rentals (ie you dont need a full table setting for each person).
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards