DC
Options

Filene's Basement Running of the Brides

Hi DC Brides!

I came across this event going on April 29th 2011 at Mazza Gallerie.

I am so interested in going.  It says to bring a team of people to help, but unfortunately my mom and sisters live far away, and I would hate to ask friends to take off a day of work.

Anyhow, have any of you heard of this/interested in going??

Re: Filene's Basement Running of the Brides

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that it is a lot of fun. Most people that speak of the event say that friends are a must and you have to plan ahead and work together. It sounds like a lot of fun. I am looking to hearing about others feedback.

M
  • Options
    lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my cousin's wife got a beautiful dress at one of these! she said it was totally, totally crazy but she really recommended it. i really don't think you can go by yourself, from what she told me.
    i'll be getting married the next day, so i better have my dress ready to go by then!
    Anniversary image<br
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the one this summer! It was an experience- but I definitely will not be doing that again. My sisters flew in to go with me and we had a plan (which would have worked wonderfully if everyone followed the rules!) the line all but disappears once they say they are opening the doors. So those poor people that camped out the night before, ended up somewhere towards the end of the line. Once you get in, everyone has a stash of dresses and they will not give them up unless you've got a dress to trade them with.
    My advice: go later in the day- don't worry they will still have plenty of dresses left. I was so frustrated we went to grab lunch and when we went back it was less hectic. I didn't find my dress but we had lots of fun and it was worth the memories with my sisters.
    BTW, the prices are amazing!! I almost bought one just because it was cheap. But keep in mind, a lot of these dresses will require alot of cleaning and alterations. They aren't very well taken care of. GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should definitely watch some news reports or other video reports of this event before you think more about it.  You absolutely do need a team of friends, like 5 people, to handle this event, you absolutely do need a plan, etc.
  • Options
    houghchoughc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went last summer with just one friend and found a dress. I too was hesitant to ask friends to take off of work. We almost gave up and left at the beginning, because everyone was hoarding their piles of dresses. Finally, a woman walked up and handed me a dress that I could use to barter. Once I had a dress in my hand, I had no trouble trading. After about 10 trades, I found what I was looking for.  I was probably inside the store for about 1.5-2 hours before buying my dress.--The style I was looking for, and it cost $250!

While the dress is in good condition, it's missing the lace for the corset. I'm hoping that whoever does my alterations can either make one with the extra fabric or tell me where to obtain one.
  • Options
    meighancutlermeighancutler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did this with my sister and two friends before my wedding 6 years ago.  My advice:  go if you want to have a fun, crazy experience.  Don't go expecting to find your dress . . . it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  As someone else said, most of the dresses are in rough shape - dirty, ripped, stretched, etc.  You CAN find a dress, but it's best to go in planning on NOT finding one - so if you do, you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards