DC
Options

Having a friend marry us...

We were thinking of trying to have a friend get ordained to perform our ceremony.  Does anyone know how this works and how to go about it?  Every time I start to do the research for it I get lost and confused!  (I really should get moving with this since it's only 5 months away!!!)  Whoopsies!  =-)

Re: Having a friend marry us...

• Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where will you be getting married: DC, VA, MD?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The wedding is in Virginia (Fairfax County).
  • Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    edited December 2011

In Virginia, anyone can be certified to marry without becoming ordained, in fact it's easier not to. Just go to the county circuit court with the person you would like to have certified and a property owner in the county. The property owner posts a $500 bond (plus another small fee, which I don't think is more than $30), and s/he will be certified to perform marriages that day in that county. We will be doing this for my brother in Nelson County, but it is the same statewide (or so it says on the VA website). Give the Fairfax county circuit court a call for more details.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for the info!  The only problem is that the person who we'd like to marry us lives out of state and I don't know if she would be able to make it down much earlier than the day before the wedding.  Also, do you get the bond money back afterwards?  (I hope that's not a dumb question, just didn't know how it works.)  Thanks again!
  • Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    edited December 2011
    I didn't ask about getting the money back, but it may differ slightly from county to county anyways, so give them a call to confirm the details.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The person gets the money back if the officiant fulfills the legal requirements (e.g., sending back the marriage license in a timely manner after the ceremony).

Definitely do not try to get around this by using someone ordained online as your officiant.  Under Virginia law, that will invalidate the marriage.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help!  I think I need to call or go to the courthouse to find out the exact step by step details.  I'd hate to go through with things and either not legally be married or something not work out right.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards