DC
Options

Less expensive in the Winter?

I always read that it is less expensive to get married in the winter.  My FH and I just started planning and, hoping for less expensive winter rates, we've decided to get married in January in Washington, DC.  I've received some wedding package price sheets from a few hotels in the city and they don't seem to be any less expensive.  Is it because I'm looking in the city and prices don't really change between low wedding season or high wedding season?  Just wondering if I'm missing something.
ocean1020

Re: Less expensive in the Winter?

• Options
    lizzi97lizzi97 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try looking at luxury business hotels. Congress is out in January, so business takes a huge hit, and they therefore have lower prices. If the prices you see are still higher than your budget, then try hotels outside the city. There are a number of beautiful boutique hotels in Old Town.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that the venue for my son's wedding, Rockwood Manor in Potomac, has considerably lower rates off-season.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  You are not missing anything.  Unfortunately, hosting a party in DC is expensive, all year, whether or not Congress is in session.  Sometimes, as exception (price reduction) is made for a Sunday event, but that can be quirky as well.  We ended up deciding on an Annapolis wedding.  DC (my home town!) was just too expensive. :(

As PP suggested, you may want to try Old Town, if you don't mind Virginia, or perhaps Rockville or Bowie/Mitchelville if you don't mind Maryland.  Good luck!
  • Options
    kat016kat016 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also thought that getting married in February would get us great deals, but unfortunately in this area it doesn't. You might be able to negotiate things with personal vendors like photography, dj, wedding planning, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i ran into the same issue. we originally looked at a fall/winter wedding but the rates were only a smidge lower for saturdays. the only "deals" that DC venues were willing to cut were on sunday and friday, or daytime/afternoons, and even then, it didn't make sense that i could have a saturday wedding in VA for the same price as a DC wedding on a sunday.

that being said, even VA and parts of MD are still iffy with rates. it really does depend on the venue; the closer to the city you are, the more expensive it is, and even if you are out in leesburg, like landsdowne, it is still expensive because it's a resort. you can get some better deals with older hotels but then you'd have to sacrifice some of the ambiance.

good luck - it took us a while before we settled on our venue too. our hotel, the westin alexandria, is gorgeous and our per person rate is ok but we had to cut out a lot of stuff to get to it.
  • Options
    C&VTC&VT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_less-expensive-winter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:57Discussion:6eda8e2f-5de2-4dfe-bcb0-ee02b7b60e8bPost:884e308a-63d1-4849-b09e-ff933b469e91">Less expensive in the Winter?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always read that it is less expensive to get married in the winter.  My FH and I just started planning and, hoping for less expensive winter rates, we've decided to get married in January in Washington, DC.  I've received some wedding package price sheets from a few hotels in the city and they don't seem to be any less expensive.  Is it because I'm looking in the city and prices don't really change between low wedding season or high wedding season?  Just wondering if I'm missing something.
    Posted by daylight1020[/QUOTE]

<div>I booked in Leesburg, VA & I have on the water access to the Potomac & its views.</div><div>My cost is 33% less than something even remotely comparable as a venue for 175 guests.</div><div>We're 45 minutes from DC & my guests have access to stay over night at the Lansdowne Resort or all suite Marriott close by if they choose.</div><div>
    </div><div>Some people migh grumble about being so far out & having to drive.</div><div>But those inside the Beltway snobs seem to think that in the 21st century, we have to hitch our wagon & travel!  LOL!</div><div>
    </div><div>In short, there are many reasons to look at places other than DC esp. in this economy.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone!  We really do have our heart set on a DC winter wedding, so we'll have to see what we can find and what we need to cut. 
    ocean1020
  • Options
    lclemencelclemence member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got pricing for the Atrium at Meadowlark Gardens, and it is 25% cheaper to get married there in January-March. They also offer discounts to residents of Arlington, Alexandria, etc. The price is also MUCH cheaper for weekdays. I can't believe how much prices differ on different days or times of year for some places!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards