DC
Options

Looking for reasonable, interesting, venues in Washington, DC proper

Hello there!

I am looking for suggestions for DC venues that are in the actual city, especially gallery spaces. I know there are numerous threads about vendors and other resources in the DC metro area, but I have yet to see one that is DC exclusive. 

We're trying to keep the actual venue fee to $3,000 max, which I know is a challenge in the city, but I thought this might be good place to see what other people have found in the city. We're Jewish, so churches are out. I would love to get married in a small-ish gallery, or a a historic site. I keep thinking of small gallery spaces that you might find in Philidelphia or Baltimore. If that kind of think exists here, I'm having trouble finding it. We'd like to get married next fall and invite about 100 people. Weather can be volatile and kind of unpredictable here so we're trying to avoid getting married outside if possible. 

I know it's a tall order, but I look forward to hearing any suggestions you guys have!

Re: Looking for reasonable, interesting, venues in Washington, DC proper

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck... haha.  I was on the same quest as you, and ended up having to raise what I wanted to spend on the venue itself.   We decided on the Carnegie Institute of Washington downtown (Dupont area).  The rental fees start around $5,000, which is more than you'd like to spend, but it's absolutely gorgeous.  On the plus side, you don't have to spend much on flowers because the building is already semi-decorated. 
  • Options
    PrfctL7PrfctL7 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ohh, Carnegie Institute weddings are GORGEOUS! I've seen a photos on various photergraphers' blogs and the photos are always stunning in that space. I actually can't believe that it's only $5000
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Shileta - Those all sound lovely but I'm only looking for spaces inside DC, not in MD or VA, which as you can imagine, is really making things difficult. 

The Carnegie Inst. does look lovely, but besides being out of budget it's a little more formal than we have in mind. 

I appreciate all of the suggestions!
  • Options
    ShiletaShileta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I just went on the same journey, and I think I can help.
    What are some of your must haves? I recently went to VisArts center in Rockville and although they aren't available for my date, I may use them for another event.   Think of it as an ecclectic art gallery/artist space. VisArts has a big corner room overlooking the Rockville town center on the second floor that rents for about that much. There are parking garages and if you know someone who lives in MO. County or Rockville there's a discount. The rooftop is owned by a private company and is much more expensive, but also nice.

The Sam Riggs Alum center at UMD is in your range. And of course you have the historic mansions ran by the various park services (Montgomery County, PG County, etc.)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Arts Club of Washington in DC- they are the least expensive gallery-type I found and it's SUPER nice. Rental is under 3000 and they provide catering.
  • Options
    lclemencelclemence member
    edited December 2011
    ARTiculate DC is downtown (16th st NW) and will rent out their entire space for under $3000. The website is www.vsadc.org. I have been to events there, and it's a really great space. They have an outdoor area where they do ceremonies. We looked there, but it was too small for what we wanted. I believe they offer catering as well.
  • Options
    LoveKissLoveKiss member
    edited December 2011
    http://www.touchstonegallery.com/index.html

the district weddings blog also has a pretty good venue directory
  • Options
    Crowne Plaza SIlver Spring. Melvin is wonderful! I can't say enough positive things about my experience there. After dealing with so many snobby event planners at different hotels the Crowne Plaza was amazing. 

Also one of there cake vendors "Cakes Plus" is also amazing, they were so friendly and so helpful! 

• Options
    thanks again for recommendations! We need to get married in DC, though. Silver Spring is in MD, so not an option. ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_looking-reasonable-interesting-venues-washington-dc-proper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:57Discussion:7a9573d3-56f0-4fae-9338-36845ca369acPost:72b33a01-37ea-44cf-9d87-489c2dc9b1ea">Re: Looking for reasonable, interesting, venues in Washington, DC proper</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks again for recommendations! We need to get married in DC, though. Silver Spring is in MD, so not an option. ;)
    Posted by maggiemay33[/QUOTE]
    I like you. <div>
    </div><div>don't know what they charge in terms of rental fees, but longview gallery meets the other criteria.</div>
  • Options
    @ebeth - Thanks! :)

I love longview gallery and have been to at least one show there but I fear the cost of the venue would put a serious crimp in our catering budget. I know I like the space so I don't even want to think about it, unfortunately. DC is a really lousy place to try and get married with a budget that is under the national average. 

I apprecaite the suggestion though (it is really a fabulous space).
  • Options
    We chose The Galleria at Lafayette Centre. A lot of people don't know abotu this place and it is absolutely fabulous!
    1120 20th Street, NW
    Suite 500 South
    Washington, DC 20036

You also MUST use Soheil Photography! He is AWESOME!
    http://www.soheilphotography.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soheil-Photography/137750602910816
  • Options
    A DC venue was VERY important to us as well.

Check out the various Clyde's spaces. We were VERY tempted by F. Scott's (by 1789), and it just had a minimum of $2000 in food & drink.

St. Francis Hall is lovely & in DC, but not exactly metro accessible DC. I believe it was around $2,500 and included chairs. Depending on the day & month, Josephine Bulter Parks Center, by Meridian Hill Park might work & includes tables & chairs. Columbia Club at Union Station has a low fee of $1,500, but high priced catering. Tabard Inn has a low fee, but would probably be too tight for your group. Same with Darlington House.

We chose the Phoenix Park Hotel, right by Union Station. The info on their website is pretty much exactly what is in our contract. Tracy Zahn is our contact there & she's lovely.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of these suggestions. They are all great. I may have a few more to add shortly - we are checking out a few places over the next 2 weeks or so. 

Planning a wedding in DC that doesn't break the bank often seems impossible but your input is encouraging!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards