Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Guest List

Hi Ladies - My FMIL is asking for our rehearsal dinner guest list and we have about 60 people!!! I feel like she may flip when we tell her... but with just the wedding party and their signifigant others it will be 26 ppl. Did any of you run into this problem? Any advice? ... also side note - I feel like I shouldn't care that much b/c they haven't offered to help us at all with the wedding.... but I do :( Thanks!

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Guest List

• Options
    askmetostayaskmetostay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    who are the others that make up the difference between 26 and 60?we're inviting BP, and parents and probably my grandmothers and aunt....but we're also paying for it ourselves, so we can do whatever we want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the rest is out of town family... my side a little more than his. Also, we're getting married in Piedmont Park but both families live in Alpharetta area so I think she's trying to have it at her clubhouse. Shouldn't it be closer to our venue?
  • Options
    ncohioncohio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to talk to your FMIL about whether or not she was anticipating inviting out of town guests before you send the list.  Or send the list with a note that says, "I'm not sure if you were planning on having out of town guests there or not, but here are two lists, one with them and one without, to cover either situation."  It seems like if she's asking for the guest list for the rehearsal dinner, she is helping with the wedding by paying for that, right?  It can be a very delicate situation with MIL and their DIL, so you don't want to send the message of being flippant about her involvement, not to imply that you are.  In terms of the rehearsal, I've seen ones in Kennesaw when the wedding was in-town, so I think anything goes.  Just like you have a budget, your FMIL has a budget too, and the place she's looking at may be a better deal for her financially.  I have just been a witness to sticky issues involving rehearsal dinners, so I know it can get ugly and when it comes down to it, it's not something that's worth an argument over.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We thought about inviting OOT guests, but most of them were coming in late that night or the morning of - so we kept it strictly to BP (and significant others if applicable), parents, and his grandparents.  We ended up with 30 people at ours.If you're getting married at Piedmont Park, it'd probably be better to have it closer to the venue.  If your OOT guests are staying near the venue, it makes the most sense.  It's a bit of a drive to Alpharetta for dinner after the rehearsal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies!! We'll see what happens this weekend when I let her know. After reading what you wrote I think I am going to present her with a couple different situations and let her tell me what she feels the most comfortable with. Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we decided to do our dinner in town, though the rehearsal will be in norcross.  we figure if people can't drive 30 minutes for a nice meal then.... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards