Georgia-Atlanta
Options

ATL caterers - HONEST opinions needed please!!

Hey all...our venue only gives us a short list of caterers we can use, and quite frankly, they have been pretty hard to work with/unresponsive/inflexible.That said, since we would like to serve more than cake at the wedding (though I'd be fine if we didn't!), we have to go with one of them. So I need some honest feedback from brides who have used any the following caterers:
- A Legendary Event
- Proof of the Pudding
- Bold American
- Affairs to Remember

Is there one that we absolutely should stay away from? One that's really amazing? Any advice would be appreciated!! Many thanks!

Re: ATL caterers - HONEST opinions needed please!!

• Options
    I would use Bold American or Affairs to Remember. Both are good. Proof of the Pudding is popular but I haven't been to a wedding who used them.
  • Options
    kimberlykhkimberlykh member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I have no personal experience, but my friend went to a wedding this weekend and was raving about Bold American.  She said it was the best wedding food she's ever had.   And, coming from her, this is quite a compliment.  She's a foodie, she hosted an amazing wedding, and she's an excellent cook!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! I have heard amazing things about Bold American BUT my FI doesn't like anything on their catering menu...urgggghhh!
  • Options
    They will customize a menu for you. I had a friend use them and her husband is Nigerian. They made a few Nigerian menu items for her and his family raved about the food.
  • Options
    Yes Bold American will work with you. Their catering guide is just that - a guide. If you have specific recipes that you love, I was told that they can work to accommodate it. Plus, if you like the food at any of the Fifth Group restaurants (which Bold is part of), they can have the food from any of those restaurants. I'm using Bold and love how they are so flexible with the menu. I've had their catering at other events and they really deliver with service and quality. One of the many reasons we went with them. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm so glad to hear Bold is so flexible. I'm pretty discouraged about the other catering choices and would love to give them a try. I'm on the case! :) 
  • Options
    jpatl67 :

I hate to ask this but I can't seem to find it anywhere...are they terribly expensive? I have been trying to find some rough estimate type lists somewhere but I can't find anything. Anywhere you can point me to for that info? 
    Thanks,
    Maggie
  • Options
    jerseylisajerseylisa member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I'm not sure if everyone else had the same experience, but for me, none of the caterers we could pick from (Affairs, Legendary, Bold, Proof) had any pricing online - we had to contact each individually to get an initial proposal. I was pretty shocked when they came back, to be honest! It wasn't so much the food, but all the 'extras' in there, like serviceware, linens, waitstaff, taxes, production fees (still not sure what that is!), etc. But it all depends on how many people, what you're serving, buffet vs. plated vs. family style vs. buffet + craving stations, etc. We are planning to do a plated meal in Atlanta with a cocktail hour so all the proposals that came back were in the $60-80/person range (excluding alcohol which we are required to get through our venue). This price is based on us just serving a salad and entree (chicken, fish or veg  - beef was the most expensive item). I still have sticker shock. But if your venue lets you pick the caterer, you have more options to shop around and find one that meets your budget and your tastes. I'd suggest telling them upfront what the maximum per person cost - including all fees/taxes - you can pay is and see if they can work with you. Good luck!
  • Options
    As a local catering coordinator in Atlanta for Gabe's Downtown I can tell you that most caterers will in fact work with what you have. It may be you settle for sirlon instead of filet mignon or salmon instead of Mahi Mahi, but you won't be paying for your wedding months after. Use the catering menus as a guide for what they can do. If your budget is tight ask if there is any discounts or special offers. For instance we give a discount if you book your rehersal dinner and wedding. It never hurts to ask the worst they can do is say no. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards