Georgia-Atlanta

Discouraged...

Maybe I'm the only one feeling this way, but maybe not. I'm newly engaged and have began planning my wedding...the only thing is that I'm feeling really discouraged and overwhelmed about it. My father passed away 7 years ago, and realizing that we won't be at my wedding, won't be walking me down the aisle, or dancing with me has really taken the joy out of my special moment. I know I shouldn't dwell on this, but I just feel so discouraged. A wedding is the dream of many women, but it just feels like a reminder that he isn't here with me. Any suggestions to help these feelings pass and find the excitement that comes with planning our big day?

Re: Discouraged...

• pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this. 

My only advice would be to remember that he would want you to be happy during this time. Although he can't be there with you, I know he would want this to be the best day of your life. Incorporate things that remind you of him throughout the ceremony and reception. Maybe use one of his favorite colors in your color scheme, use a favorite food in your menue, or even dance to a slow song from his favorite band for your first dance. That way he is still with you in spirit : )
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_discouraged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:84f25cfe-cc36-4bd5-a5c1-8e75fe411c61Post:54c6eaa3-b124-49af-abee-9acec9bf84f5">Re: Discouraged...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  My only advice would be to remember that he would want you to be happy during this time. Although he can't be there with you, I know he would want this to be the best day of your life. Incorporate things that remind you of him throughout the ceremony and reception. Maybe use one of his favorite colors in your color scheme, use a favorite food in your menue, or even dance to a slow song from his favorite band for your first dance. That way he is still with you in spirit : )
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto all of this. You could also mention him in the program or have a special candle lit for him during the ceremony. </div><div>
    </div><div>Just don't go overboard with the sentimental stuff, or else you might be more sad remembering him than celebrating your marriage. Pick one or two things and let that be it. It will be more than enough to honor his memory. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • mrsbrantleymrsbrantley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with PP. One thing I saw that was sweet was a wedding where the groom's father had passed away recently. On the back cover of the wedding program was a picture of him as a young kid with his dad, and a poem.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards