September 2009 Weddings

Are you best friends?

I always see these "I'm marrying my best friend" blah blah blah cards, siggys, love poems, etc. But really, are you and FI best friends?

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
Anniversary

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Are you best friends?

• I have to say he is my one of my best friend, I really could not choose between him, mom, and my MOH. I know we are really close friends we dated back in high school and when we broke up he was still my closest guy friend and then we got back together in college and been together ever since. I have been friends with him longer then I have know my MOH who I met in college too.
  • I agree that a husband and wife should be very good friend. To me its weird to think of FI as my best friend. W're partners, lovers and friends just like someone else said (I'm sorry I didnt pay attention to exactly who said that. :( ). My MOH and my sister are my best friends. I think its important to have other best friends besides your husband. What do you do if, god forbid, something happens to your husband? I'm one of those people who cannot stand when girls give up their friends when they get married. I have alot of "friends" who stopped caring abou thteir girlfriends once they got hitched. To me, that's not only stupid but ridiculous. You need time away from your husband/wife and if you dont stay close to your girls after you get married, who the hell will you talk to when your husband pisses you off? Or the kids are driving you mad? Maybe that's my beef with the whole "my husband is my BFF". I dunno. Maybe I'm weird.

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• My keys are sticking. I can spell I promise.

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• Mac - I agree with you.  I hang out with my friends, definitely, and spend time away from FI.  But like I said, my friends are shady.  They are fun to grab a few drinks with, but they simply aren't dependable.  You (and many other women) are very lucky to have been blessed with great friends.  I just don't have that, and have never had that. 
  • yepI have people that are friends, but I wouldn't consider any of them my "best" friend.
    Blog [] Planning [] Married

Charlie ? 12/11/2011

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

2012 Book Count: 16
  • I guess I'm considering him my best friend at this point because through all the sh~t I've had to deal with with my stupidass friends, he's always been there in the end.
  • I think my dog is my best friend (he is adorable - Harley, big surprise there)...FI and are close but sometimes we speak different languages, like last night when we were going to dinner and he started driving my son to his Dad's on the way...I swore I told him 3 times that he was coming to dinner with us first...anywho...my cousin/MOH is probably my closest BF, and the one GF that was my BF has snubbed my since I got engaged...amazing this chit still happens in your 40s!
  • In actuality, yes.  But if you were to ask me who my best friend is, I wouldn't name him because I'm not cheesy like that.
  • BTW, I dont think its bad either way. I'm just curious what you lovies think.

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• He's one of my best friends, but probably not my Bestest friend. And he definitely doesn't take the place of my friends at all- although when I was the only single person among my grad school friends, it was very, very nice to start dating him. (if that makes sense- I'm tired)
  • FI is one of my best friends. My mom and one of my MOHs are my other best friends. And then I just have friends.
  • Mac - I agree about friends who flake out as soon as they have a man in their life...As far as best friends... I would say my FI is my best 'guy' friend and my bridesmaids are my best 'girl' friends... if that makes any sense??

Anniversary

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Gawd, I love your dress Nat...can't imagine my Mom being my best friend though...Dad was a different story.
  • TY Harley! :) And I'm loving the lacy halter on you! So jealous because I cannot pull that off. :)
  • Isnt she HOT?!? What a MILF. Well...maybe a MHe'dLF, not me. I like boys. ;)

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• Its between him and my mom. They both know everything about me and since im not super close with my girls they are the ones I turn to if I need anything!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • LOL Mac what's a MHe'dLF???? I know what the LF stand for.....
  • I knew I'd haev to spell it out. MILF= mom I'd like to...yea you know. MHe'dLF= mom he would like to.... I suck.

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• ahhh... I thought it was another case of sticky keys lol
  • well arent you funny. :D

Kari & Jesse 09.26.09
    Anniversary

• Nat, I think she meant "Mom HE'd Like To..." :)And it makes me smile that a few of you gals also named your mom as one of your best friends.  I think we're lucky to be able to do that.  I know so many girls who would never say they're great friends with their mom.  I talk to my mom every single day, if not twice a day or more.  I think it freaks FI out a little bit because he knows how close the two of us are...he's a good guy to just accept it though.  Guys rarely have that kind of relationship with their moms anyway though, it seems, so maybe it's just hard for guys, and some girls, to understand.
  • I have very few close friends: FI, my mom, FSIL (my MOH) and one of my college friends. I guess I think of FI as my best friend...but saying it out loud (at least) sounds cheesy to me. If ya asked him, I'm not sure what he'd say. But he always puts me first, and that's enough for me. I don't need a BFF label to reinforce that :)
  • We always say that we're best friends. But when I was writing the vows and I was seeing all these, "I'm marrying you, my bff" he said, "no, I'm marrying you, not my friend. There's a difference between your level and my best buds." I still think that we are each other's friends though.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • I would say that we are best friends, yes. I know, cheesy. I had two best friends, whom would have been named my MOH and BM, if I had had attendants but both of them have beeb major disappointments throughout this wedding process. One of them is a pathological liar since age five so both of them have been demoted to friends, one of them is really just a person I know now. Well, that's in my mind -- she doesn't know this. Ugh. I would say that my mom is one of my close friends. We do talk about everything but there are things that we just can't talk about without fighting -- namely her family and my lack of a relationship with them and the catholic religion. But, there are things that FI and I can't talk about without fighting either so there you go.
  • Ugh, I can't type either. But, unlike Mac, I don't have a good excuse. It's just late. *been, not beeb.
  • without a doubt.  i have more fun with him and am more myself with him.  he and i know more about each other than anyone else and love each other for it.

"My best friend is a pitbull."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's unspoken that we are best friends, tho neither of us would ever say that. But he knows me better than anybody and I can totally be myself with him. I'm not a fan of taglines of any sort.
  • If FI isn't my best friend, he's in the top 2.  My MOH would be the other option.
  • Yes, he is.  Actually our vows are "this day I will marry my best friend..".Like dbucks, I just don't have any dependable friends.  It's my fault also for not keeping in touch with people and shutting friends out when FI and I first started dating.  When I was a child, I had tons of friends and went out, but then something happened and my parents forbade me from hanging out.  When middle school started, the friends I thought I had just pretty much ignored our elem school clique to become popular and I just lost trust in people from that point.  Yes, I have issues.I do envy all of you who have those really good friends.  I wish I hadn't made some stupid decisions regarding some of my friends.
    [] Blog [] EDD: 05.19.2012

• FI is my best friend.  I don't mean in the cheesy way either, he was my best friend before we even started dating.  He was there for me when I ended my 7 year engagement,  and when my other friends took sides I knew I could count on him.   I know he will always be there for me, so he continues to be my best friend.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards