Eco-Friendly Weddings
Options

Newbie with catering question(anyone doing meatless/almost meatless?)

Hi Everyone, this is my first visit to the board. I used to be vegan until I get pregnant 2 years ago. Now I am going back to meatless. I am thinking of having a meatless/or near meatless menu for my catering. Anyone have any suggestions what to serve? I am spending about 2,500 for 60 people right now for current menu. I know some good pasta would be an easy score. Just want to know others ideas. Do you think simply prepared meatless dishes would be less expensive? Not trying to force this lifestyle choice on my guests, but I would like something more friendly to my new diet/lifestyle. Thanks!=)

Re: Newbie with catering question(anyone doing meatless/almost meatless?)

• Options
    hello! my FI and i are both vegetarian/near vegan. i am compromising on some meat at the reception since my father is helping us with the wedding, but i am putting my foot down about no beef/veal/lamb.

our caterer offers vegetable lasagna, stuffed shells, and baked penne pasta with zucchini and squash, which are all vegetarian and can be the veg entrees. i know they don't sound particularly amazing, but so many other places in my small town had - seriously - "rigatoni marinara" listed as their vegetarian option. and that's it. there is no way that i'm eating that as my entree at my own wedding. also, i've been forced to eat lackluster eggplant parm at too many weddings as well... so i am excited about the three options above! we are also going to have 2 types of veggies, 2 potato choices ( i could not turn down the mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and sugar!!), tossed salad, fruit salad, and another pasta as a side.

i think you should definitely check out your pasta options - but if you find a decently priced place that has more in the veg department than just pasta marinara and eggplant parm, you are in luck! if you like indian, mexican/tex-mex, or mediterrean/greek/middle eastern food, there are a lot of options there as well that could equal a complete meal where meat is not missed. you could also mix and match from different cuisines.

good luck and please post back with your thoughts/decisions!
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    I totally love Italian. Who doesn't? The funny thing is, the current menu is BBQ(more for the money factor than anything.) I just feel really weird about going veg and having such a meat loaded wedding. I am sure gigantic pasta buffets would be around the same cost, since they can be backed in large amounts. Thanks for all the ideas, I really am thankful for some support. We will most likely have some chicken too-just for all the meat die hards to go nuts. I really love being veg again, I have so much energy-and my soul feels happier. So strange what a change can do.

I mostly went back to eating meat when I moved in with my sweetie, since I have to do all the cooking-I just wanted to make it easy on me. Now I am thinking of creative ways to have a mixed cuisine family.=)

How long have you been meatless?
  • Options
    If you're doing a BBQ theme, why not things like grilled portobello mushrooms, marinated grilled tofu "steaks," vegetarian kebabs, etc.  I have to coordinate a BBQ for my company every year and those are a few of the vegetarian options we usually have.
  • Options
    We did our wedding (traditional 7 dishes, rice, roti-naan-tortilla) and reception foods as completely meatless/vegetarian.

- We did curried tvp (textured vegetable protien) with garlic, onions, and green onions/shallots.
    - Catered from an Italian place, PF Changs, and and Indian place for the reception.

It can be done, and a lot cheaper too, if you go the catering route.  For PF Changs, if you sign up online, you can get a 10% off card in the mail, use that towards your purchase, if you are interested, it's quite the savings!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options

My sister is a vegan.  We found an Indian restaurant with alot of vegan choices.  I didn't know they ate like that.  Maybe you can check out Indian Cuisine for more interesting options.

• Options

My meat-eating sweetie and my vegetarian self are going for baked chicken for him, and penne pasta with pesto for me. Plus caprese salad and regular salad. Super simple.

Here's the way I see it:

1. You can do component meals. This is where you can do things like burrito or baked potato bars, where you have a lot of toppings and people can make their own. It's more fun, too! This is obviously a buffet-type meal. You can have several stations, or one big one. This can be an inexpensive option. You can do made-to-order stir-fries or crepes with an individual chef or chef helper, but that's more expensive.

2. You can do parallel/replacement meals. This is where you make burgers for other folks and portobello mushrooms for yours. Or even beef or chicken or fish or whatever main course for other folks, and a lasagne or eggplant or whatever dish for you, plus vegetable sides and rice or some other carbohydrate for everybody.

I have two warnings: when you think of your menu, try to imagine what it will look like on a plate. For some reason, if you're not careful, you can end up with only tan foods! (rice, potatoes, zucchini, corn, bread, macaroni and cheese...).

I also think if you're into it, ethnic food can be the way to go. There are wonderful Indian and Ethiopian vegetarian options, for example. Just be careful with Chinese or Thai, because you'll have to be firm on the "no chicken broth and no fish sauce" thing. When you explain it, usually they're totally accomodating, but chefs are totally right that there is a big flavor difference when you take out meat-based seasonings.

• Options
    Hi there,

My Fiance and I are both occasional meat eaters,  and we would like the food at our wedding to be seasonal and fresh, and healthy!  Which means minimum  meat. 
    We will have a Buffet (more relaxed) with some substantial gorgeous salads.  My fav being **Fresh grated beetroot & carrot, with Feta, Mint, toasted seeds, sprouts etc, all under a balsamic dressing, mmmmm....Looks AMAZING
      Our mains will be **Calzone with a filling of roasted pumpkin, capsicum & fresh goats feta...(this is soooo delicious the rampant meat eaters will barely notice!) **Eggplant Parmesan **Roasted free range Lamb and Beef (Gifts from my self sustainable MOH!)
    We will also have massive bowls of Mushrooms, sauteed Zuch's&Onions etc etc. This will be a beautiful, vibrant feast of seasonal delights....and cheap!
    If you have a super tasty spread the carnivores really won't notice
    I wish you the very best of Luck 

• Options
    You could do some vegan chili, or recipes with mushrooms to keep that "meaty satisfyingness".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards