Eco-Friendly Weddings
Options

DIY Food

I know that we are taking on a lot, but we are preparing our own food for our BBQ wedding...
Yes, we are crazy.

But, I am racking my brain about dinnerware. We are on a TIGHT budget.
While I am not opposed to paper for aesthetics, I am opposed to paper for its wastefulness. Are compostable plates that much better?
Should we just rent our dinnerware? And then have to worry about washing it before returning it?

Anyone else in this kind of dilemma?

Re: DIY Food

• Options
    Hi Danielle,

I found a wedding online (try Googling Fricky Forever) where they collected vintage and antique china for months for a vintage, camping-themed wedding.  The result was completely adorable, mismatched and ecclectic, but it totally went with the theme.  They picked up the plates for free or nearly free at yard sales, antique shops, estate sales, Craig's list, Goodwill, etc. I'm not sure what they did with the plates when they were done, but I imagine you could keep some of your favorites to create your own ecclectic mismatched china set, donate them back to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., or sell them to some other green bride-to-be! 

Good luck!

-S

• Options
    We have been thinking about collecting our own plates to use and having our in town family bring dishware, but our issue will still be how to wash it all? We are getting married at a nearby park and then having people ride bicycles back to our nearby house. I hate asking someone to wash dishes and I certainly don't want to on my wedding day ;)
  • Options
    That is what family and friends are for. Load up those dirty dishes in a couple vehicles and have  your maids and moms or friends do them. I would do them for my sister or friends wedding.

How about using a mismatched or eclectic collection of friends and familys china and fine dinnerware, especially if you can find a few sets that have a similar color or scheme.
  • Options
    Yes! We decided to go for it! I've started collecting plates from thrift stores and yard sales and have over 60 and only spent $4. We will just run the dishwasher over and over again the day after the wedding. Thanks for your encouragement!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards