Colorado-Denver
Options

Linens...$400?

I just got the final contract from our caterer, and was shocked to see that the rented table linens will cost $400! We are only having 10 guest tables and a head table. WTH? Is this normal? Why would it cost that much to rent some tablecloths? I told him we wanted the cheapest option.Does anybody have some advice on how to get the cost down? With less than 2 weeks to go, I'm afraid of ordering them online...TIA!

Re: Linens...$400?

• Options
    KariMichaelKariMichael member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what size linens? color? I had a rental quote of $1500 for ours! we had a lot of linens, but I still thought that was outrageous! I really wanted colored linens, i think it adds so much to the look. I bought everything for a LOT less. I have 8 128" round burnt orange ones and 8 90x185 chocolate satin and 6 72x140" chocolate satin ones. and 6 72" square chocolate satin ones. If any of those fit, let me know, I'm getting ready to sell them. some of the satin ones need to be washed...
  • Options
    kjyoung9kjyoung9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is there anything you can barter or trade (like a service for them, even if not you who can do it - maybe a graphic designer friend who can help you out and do promo stuff for them)??  if you can get out of your contract, i think you could buy new ones much cheaper (try bargain stores in town like Tuesday Morning or Big Lots - you'd be surprised).  if you go the online route, i've NEVER had trouble with amazon as far as receiving my stuff in the time they said.also, if you have time (i know you're fast approaching) try out the flea market complex out on i-76 to really try to save.  good luck!!
    Kelly & Kevin, Denver, CO 10.22.10

MyBio

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a bit too much, then again it depends on the type of linens you chose.  Caterers will sometimes mark-up any items they have to rent. I am getting my linens through an events rental company and they are charging about $15 per linen for poly-cotton linens and we are having the same amount of tables. It is an extra step, but it may be worth looking into an events rental company to check out their pricing. They should be able to deliver and pick up anything that you rent through them (though there is usually an extra delivery fee).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! KariMichael: Thanks for offering, but our colors are robin's egg blue and ivory :)I just spoke with the caterer on the phone, and apparently the extra $500 dollars on our contract is for serving dishes, one extra table for the cake, plastic plates and flatwear, and linens for all the guest tables, head table, and catering line. Well that makes more sense to me now. I am still a little upset that he didn't include this in the contract before, especially since we told him our budget and said that it had to include all rentals. This is the only thing we have been over budget on, so I guess that's not too bad.
  • Options
    princeatudeprinceatude member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought mine off a seller on ebay ( I can find the name if you want) and they were half that for 25 tables. Let me know if your interested and I can dig up that info for you.
  • Options
    ekurtenbekurtenb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, for one, would love to know the info on that ebay seller! My email is kurte639@regis dot edu
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    princeatude: Thank you! I am afraid to get them online at this point because we only have 11 days left to go. Do you think they could ship it on time? How long did/will yours take?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ebay seller is linentablecloths. I mis-spoke their 20 pack is $220 with free shipping. It was fast shipping and free so if you offer to pay shipping maybe they can speed it up. You can def send a message and ask. They have many different colors as well. The good thing is that you can sell them. They go like hot cakes on craigslist
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I forgot to post that another good seller on ebay is wholesaleweddingchaircovers if you are looking for overlays.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sucks that your caterer sprung that on you late in the game! If you're still unsure of going the online route, you can definitely find linens and dinnerware for atleast half that price. It's more leg work, but you can find nice affordable plastic plates and silverware at Sams or Costco. As for the linens check out local party rental stores. If you have a Sno White linen nearby, that might be a great thing to look into. They do a lot of linens for restaurant chains, and you might be able to snag a great deal! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards