Colorado-Denver
Options

NEED A PHOTOGRAPHER!

HELP!  We had a photographer picked out, but after not hearing back from them it turns out that they are now no longer available for our wedding day of 6/13/10 (one of the photographer's is expecting a baby).  While I'm  thrilled for their new addition, I'm now in a panic looking for a photographer who offers what they did and in our budget.  We wanted to spend $1000 OR LESS for TWO photographers.  We had tried Porchlight, but they are now unavailable (see above reason).  I've checked into a few other's who were suggested on here, but they are all TWICE the cost of what we wanted to spend.  I asked Porchlight for a referral and the person I was given is $900 (!!!) MORE than they were going to charge!  I'm ready to postpone this entire thing out of frustration and disgust.  It's quite frustrating trying to plan a wedding with a budget when EVERY venue seems to think EVERYONE has a mommy and daddy to pay.  We do not and only have a MAXIMUM of $6000 to do everything...whoever thought spending $10,000 for a wedding was acceptable needs a reality check.  Sorry for the rant...but I need HELP!!!! 

Re: NEED A PHOTOGRAPHER!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hang in there, I know its hard. I dont know if my photographer will adjust her package but its worth a shot! Samantha Brynn is her name. Also, another good photographer I know is Sarah Henry, and she might throw in her photographer husband too, check her out. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey! There are so many good photographers out there I wouldn't worry (even though I know that's much easier said than done!!). We are using Anna Oertli (visit her blog at www.oertliphotography.com). Her packages are pretty reasonable, but if you tell her exactly what you want and what you can afford, she is more than willing to work with you and your budget. And she's a sweetheart and a lot of fun to work with. Also, mention that you want another photographer and she might be able to work that out, too! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    whoever thought spending $10,000 for a wedding was acceptable needs a reality checkUm, not really appropriate.People have different priorities and you really shouldn't judge.Also, $1000 for two photographers is going to be really hard to find if you are looking for quality work. Good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer recently increased his prices, but the new price for his basic package is $895.  That includes 7 hours of coverage, a website, a a DVD with all photos.  You get full rights to your pics too.  You can add a second photographer for $295, I believe.Our photog is K2 Photo Studio www.k2photostudio.comIf interested, I can show you our engagement photos, which were taken in Sept.  Good luck!
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    Katie18Katie18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sara Lazio who has a package for $1,000 that includes engagement pics, 8 hrs of wedding day photography and the digital negatives on a disc.  I had told her that I wanted a 2nd photog, and she added that at no cost.  I have some of her photographs in my married blog if you want to take a look.I have to agree with Layla though, that last statement of yours was not necessary.  People here are going to be more than helpful but you when you ask questions like you have.  You don't need to cut them down like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First off, I apologize if I offended ANYONE.  Second, for those of you who are lucky enough to have parents that can pay that much for a wedding, or can pay that much yourself, I am happy for you.  For those out there, like me, it is frustrating when you call a million venues, photographers, caterers, DJ’s, etc. and you are SCOFFED at because you are not willing to pay $50/pp, for the venue alone.  It is frustrating to be told, “Ha, you can’t do a wedding for $6000.  Why don’t you use your CREDIT CARDS?”  I, for one, am not interested in being in debt for the next 5 yrs for a single day celebration, not to mention my fiancé and I just purchased a home (a home was a little higher on our priority list).  We don’t need anymore bills.  Purchasing a home was something we did on our own, with no outside help whatsoever, something we have to do for our wedding as well.  I have spoken to very few companies that can or are even willing to work with our budget and those who are; well they aren’t exactly what we hoped our wedding would be.                 Again, I apologize for offending anyone, but if you are offended, perhaps you should look at it from this side and not pass judgment yourself.  There are people who desperately want to have a special day, but find it absolutely ridiculous for the price people think is appropriate to charge, especially when it is your hard earned money...not somebody else’s.  Thank you to everyone who has given me information, we truly appreciate the help!   PS – You CAN find two quality photographers for $1000, Porchlight is amazing.  We just happen to be getting married at the wrong time to use them.    
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Patrize, I would LOVE to see your engagement photos!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it just takes a little more work planning a beautiful wedding on a budget.  You can do it, just keep looking and asking people for referals.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you look at my bio you will see that I WAS a budget bride and still felt your comment was offensive. Saying someone needs a reality check is not cool.My DH and I worked 2nd jobs during our engagement, paid for our wedding OURSELVES and purchased a house OURSELVES 6 weeks before getting married- it can all be done with prioritizing, budgeting and not spending money on things you dont HAVE to have.I also didnt say you CANT find 2 photographers for under 1k, I just said it is difficult.My "budget bride" advice is:* find a venue that allows you to bring in your own food/alcohol- this is HUGE* cut your guest list. 75 people is a lot more affordable than 150. If you are paying for everything yourselves then no one can really complain that you arent inviting so and so 3rd cousins, etc.* dont use a DJ, do an IPOD reception* use minimal floral arrangements... we used the bridal and bridesmaids bouquets as our centerpieces along with candles* skip favors* DIY decor, details, etc
  • Options
    Jade0085Jade0085 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amen, Layla. I am also a budget bride (...and bought a house on our own last year are paying for everything on our own..) We are on a tight budget but one of the things we are splurging on is the photographer. I've heard from several brides that if they could go back they would have hired a better photographer. After the wedding day all you have is eachother..and those pictures! I hope you find what you are looking for and your wedding day is everything you imagine it to be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wolfdancer, what is your e-mail address?  I will send you the link to our online gallery.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will say that your post was slightly rude, but we all have opinions and are free to share them!  I think your anger is more toward the vendors themselves, it just comes out sounding critical of other brides who spend more than you want to spend...I hope fellow brides can help you out! Our photographer is really reasonable $1175.00  it includes two photographers, 6 hours reception time and an engagement session.  I know its over 1000, but maybe she can work with you, it never hurts to try!  Or you can not do the engagement session and that would put you below $1000.  A dvd is included with all photos (no paper prints, but this allows you to get the quantity you want and use a less expensive printing company (I heard Costco has great quality prints).Check out NicoleNoelphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was also on a budget ( I would have loved to have a $6k wedding but $3500 was more reasonable for us.) and loved every minute of our day. It wasn't "perfect" but it was definitely us. We made a lot of sacrifices, we would have loved 2 photographers but our budget only had room for 1, but made it work. We have a lot of hobby/artist photographers in our lives and encouraged them to send us files of their images. From those we got a variety of angles, shots and emotions that a pro may not have gotten or known was important to us. I found our photographer on craigslist for $500 since she was new to the area and just beginning to do weddings, though she had an extensive background in photojournalism. Her prices have raised to $1k for 8 hours, printing rights and a dvd of al your images toned. I know he has options for adding on 2nd shooters, which brings up her price a bit depending on their skill level, and if you were willing to have her for less time or something she may be able to get in your price range. Her website is lindsayjphoto dot com. My budget advice is to simply be flexible. No one who attended our wedding would have guessed how much (or little) we spent because we were open to whatever we could find within our vision, budget and season. I would have LOVED to have had a harp playing during the ceremony but it wasn't in the budget so we had a friend play her cello. She was happy to be able to provide us her talent and we were so grateful for her help. I understand the stress you are feeling but please try to find other, perhaps more productive ways, to channel your frustration.
  • Options
    DenverMeganDenverMegan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Line of Sight Photography.  He's pretty inexpensive (at least we thought so) and was definitely willing to work in our budget.  Carl's website has amazing pictures on it.  We actually got 2 photographers for $1300 and all rights.  He has "mini" packages too.Hope this helps.
  • Options
    LKRN4200LKRN4200 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I can see how some people would take this message as rude, but I have to agree with Wolfdancer.  The venues, photographers, DJ's, Cake bakers, caterers, etc. are all expecting someone to spend about $10k (OR MORE) on a wedding and I agree that that is ridiculous and think those people do need a reality check...not the brides.  I do not think Wolfdancer was saying this about brides either (i could be wrong), but it seems that the anger is directed at the venues only.  If you can, and wish to, spend $10k on a wedding than so be it, but not everyone who wants to get married should be expected to spend that much as well.  It IS frustrating and my fiance is pretty tired of looking into something nice, only to find out it's not in our budget (and then feelings get hurt do to the rudeness of some of these people).  I think everyone needs to take a step back and not be so easily offended.  Getting married is stressful, buying a house is stressful, finding out someone you thought would be the perfect photographer can no logner so your wedding is stressful!  I feel sorry that Wolfdancer got snapped at, hopefully there are more people here who can offer help and not judgement.  Try checking out Joel Kingham photography.  I have heard he is reasonably and does great work!  Good Luck!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand your concern with spending lots of money. Check out a lady named Gail and her company is Encore Portraits www.encoreportraits.com. She is very talented and the last I knew, she was VERY reasonable in price but you WILL get MORE than you pay for! Give her a call or email and just ask.,.it never hurts to ask. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you to EVERYONE for your help and suggestions for a photographer!  We haven't made a decision just yet, but we are really planning on using Chad Fahnestock, his work is amazing and his prices are GREAT for those on a tight budget.   Can't wait to talk to him and get our Engagement Session rolling!  Once again, thank you to all and I apologize, once again, for offending anyone.  My frustration is not directed at any Brides, but at the venues who treat people poorly who can't afford much.  Best wishes and best of luck to all the others out there planning their Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are still looking, check out www.yellowpaddlephotography.com- They have great packages and do great work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. To those who can afford a big-to-do...more power to them. But then there are people like us...like me...who will be lucky to even find a location I like because we have no $. But we dont want to put off getting married because we ave no help money wise and have no money to use for a big day We dont want to go to the justice of the peace either. It can get very discouraging I hear ya. Try to remember what is really about, the two of you. Good luck, we will both need it!
  • Options
    makophotomakophoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are photographers from wyoming but we do alot of work in denver. We offer packages for $1000 or less with two photographers. You can view some of our work at www.makophotography.com .
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could check out Hollywood Calling Photography in Denver
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards