Colorado-Denver

stations for 75 people--HELP!

I'm really struggling with catering.  Our wedding is 5 months away (from yesterday, actually) and we haven't hired one yet.  I started looking nearly 2 months ago, but long story short, I really am left with only 1 option without starting over.  I actually REALLY like this caterer but I'm struggling to make it work in our budget.  With the fixed cost of the service staff and all the fees, there's not much money left to spend on food!  I had budgeted for $3000.  As of now our stations menu is costing about $22/person, which I think is reasonable, but does put us about $800 over.  Because our reception is outside, we also have to pay a couple thousand dollars for rentals (sigh).  Here's the cost/person breakdown:

appetizer buffet (spinach artichoke dip, mini sliders, fruit, cheese, mini twice baked potatoes): 7.18
Asian station (chicken lettuce wraps, fried rice, pot-sticker): 5.29
Mexican station (steak tacos, rice, black beans): 6.32
pasta station (basil pesto, Gemelli with buffalo mozzarella): 2.75

Any suggestions how we can get this closer to our budget?  We love our menu and don't want to majorly change.  Do I just suck it up and figure it out?  TIA

Re: stations for 75 people--HELP!

• edited December 2011
    Hmm...is there anyway to cut back on staff? Are theses stations monitored by staff?  If so, your appetizer station could be an unmaned buffet, while the others are action stations.  That could shave off up to $200 depending on service costs.  Or the whole thing could be unmaned buffet stations...

Sorry, I don't know if that was much help.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know...I've posted this on the budget board, too and ladies there also wondered this.  I've asked my catering coordinator and she says no.  Do we really need 1 event manager, 1 head chef, 1 assistant chef, 3 service staff, and a bartender?  As I understand it, 1 of the service staff can be manning a station, but "if I'd rather not he will just help the chef."  ????  Does that sound fishy?  If he can go either way, isn't he unnecessary?  But on the other hand, what do I know?  seriously.  I haven't done this before.  What do you think?
  • edited December 2011
    the reasoning sounds a little fishy...if the chef needs help, isn't that the job of the assistant chef?  maybe they have to employ a minimum of 3 service staff per event. three service staff people sounnds reasonable and I'd have a hard time thinking your event would run smoothly with only 2 service staff.   If you cannot find another caterer to recreate this menu (or something similar) for less then just bite the bullet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    BTW, which caterer are you using and where/when is your event?  Check out my caterer, The Gourmet Kitchen, because she may be able to do something similar for cheaper.  You can see my menu and pictures of the food in my bio.  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    It's Catering by Design.  We loved the food and really enjoy working with our coordinator, Tara so we'd like to work it out.  We've been able to adjust the rentals proposal some and are hoping to get the food down a couple hundred dollars.  We're getting closer!

I emailed the caterer you mentioned a few weeks ago and never heard anything back.  Thanks, though.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards