Colorado-Denver

Back at square one

So I was planning a New Year's Eve wedding and due to circumstances we have to move the date. We were just going to go to the courthouse then have a party. Our family wants more time to plan and for us to have an actual ceremony. The thing is we have to pay for it ourselves and do not have the money for it. Any suggestions. Just get married in the mountains alone?

Re: Back at square one

• We plan to do that as well. Courthouse then small dinner party at a nice restaurant . 25 people. We are spending 10k and I've hired some top vendors. I am skipping flowers and all other things except my bouquet and doing a style shoot on a non wedding day with my photographer.
  • you can get married in most city parks for free or for very cheap

plus a cake and champagne reception, you could do it very cheaply!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hi,

I am sorry if I am missing something here. I say that if you want to do the NYE wedding, even if it is the two of you, then do it.

From what I am reading, you guys are paying for it yourselves, but your family wants more time to plan and wants a ceremony that you can't afford. So now you are thinking of eloping just the two of you, correct? Do what YOU want.  If your family isn't helping, they really have no say. Yes, you will likely upset some of them, but again, this is your dime, so your decision. If you want to elope to the mountains, just the two of you, do it. If you want to get married NYE, go for it. 

Honestly, it sounds like you are trying to do the fiscally responsible thing and do something within your budget while family is trying to sway you. If they want to pony up, then yeah, they get a vote, if not, heck, I'd elope to some beach or a B&B in the mtns.

Good luck!
  • I'm with ridgebackbride - if they're not fotting the bill, they don't get any say in the matter. YOU need to have the wedding YOU want and can afford. If they want to fork over a chunk of cash, THEN AND ONLY THEN do they get any say in the matter. So do your NYE wedding as planned, or run off and elope. It's totally up to you. If you do want to book a location, as sakana1940 said, there are lots of locations owned by the city/state that are available very cheaply - I even have some links if you want them, just send me a message.

GOOD LUCK!
  • I'm going to go with the folks who say if they're not paying for it, they don't get to plan it. They want more than a JP and a party? They can fork over the cash to cover the expense. Including a wedding planner.

That said, if you do decide to skip the JP and do the full wedding, my DF and I are getting married at the Washington Park Boathouse. At $610 (less if you don't serve alcohol), it's very reasonably priced, you get any 9-hour block you like on your big day, and you can have both the ceremony and reception in one place. And you can bring in any caterers & other vendors you like, so long as they (or you) have special event insurance and the bartender has a TIPS card. Wedding's not until May, so I can't tell you about day-of experiences, but every vendor I've chatted with who has worked an event there says it's awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards