Colorado-Denver

Alterations at Amanda's, D'Anelli's, or other?

I posted sometime ago to get ideas asking for suggestions for where to shop for my dress and you all were full of feedback and so helpful.

Now that I know which dress I want, I am wondering where to buy; 
I had the best experiences (though the others weren't bad) at Amanda's and D'Anellis for shopping.  Since their prices are comparable for the dress I want (within $50),  I thought I might ask about alteration experiences/ cost at either.

Or perhaps I should be looking elsewhere altogether for affordable/quality alterations?

Any feedback you have on either bridal shop or other suggestions are much appreciated.

Re: Alterations at Amanda's, D'Anelli's, or other?

• andyjill2010andyjill2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Amanda's. It was actually sold to me by one of their seemstresses.  Her name is Jane. Since she had worked with the particular dress I ordered, very nice and honest and seemed reasonable with her pricing I booked my fitting with her.  I know a lot of people though don't choose to have their alterations done where they bought their dress - they do tend to be more expensive. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to B's quality Cleansers off of 94th Avenue and Wadsworth Parkway. They do the dry cleaning and fitting/alterations for a good price IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I received a BM dress from D'Anelli's and got the alterations done in house as well.  The alterations cost me $60 to have the dress hemmed and taken in in the bust.  I know the bridal gown alterations run a little higher, but just to give you an idea.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts ladies.

Patrize- this reference point for price does help
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at D'Anellis and altered there too.  I belive it was $175 to take in the sides and adjust the bust, and sew in bra bra cups.  My dress had a ton of beading on it, so that's the reason why it was a little expensive.  I thought I had to hem it and that would have been $300....I'm so thankful I found shoes to fit! 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also, when you buy your dress at D'anellis, they clean and press it for you before  your wedding free of charge
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh, good to know about the additional services - thanks Charlsie!
  • COkristiCOkristi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had my first fitting at D'Anelli's last week. I bought my dress there at the sample sale last August. I was pretty put off by the seamstress because she called me twice the day before to ask if I could reschedule because she wanted to go to a meeting at my appt time. The second time she wanted to schedule me around her pilates class. I am very easy to get along with and was nice and changed my appt, but that really bugged me because it was so unprofessional.

That said, the fitting went ok (I think?), they charged me $300 to hem, take in the bust, and change the strapless neckline to a modified sweetheart. I'm not suggesting that you don't' go there, but that has been my honest experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi,

I really haven't been on this board at all but I just thought I'd thrown in my 2 cents on this one - sorry for being a lurker! 

I bought my dress at Amanda's and got my alterations done there.  I can't remember the seamstresses name but she works on Saturdays and is AWESOME!!  She has a total eye for detail and will make sure you look perfect.  I also found the prices to be pretty decent. 

I paid $270 for a hem, some beading removed, some slight adjustments to the bodice and a 20 point bustle.  Bustle points are $10 each so the majority was the bustle.  Amanda's will also steam your dress (and veil if you get it there) for free.

Just as a side note for Amanda's, Tobi was the girl who helped me out and she has been incredible.  She listens, makes thoughful suggestions, knows what she is doing, is not pushy, I could go on and on.  I would recommend anyone go to Amanda's but make sure you ask for Tobi (last time I was in there were some new girls there who didn't really know what they were doing and the manager is annoying in my opinion)

good luck - getting my dress and seeing it after alterations has totally been the most fun part of wedding planning for me!
  • edited December 2011
    As usual, the CO board rocks - thanks ladies for taking the time and giving me your great thoughts!

Imelda
  • andyjill2010andyjill2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    StephandRams - I completely agree with everything you said, including about the manager.  She was incredibly rude and unprofessional when I called to schedule my fitting. I asked to speak to the manager because of her attitude and I was shocked when she said she was the manager!  Thankfully, their staff if wonderful and they sound reasonably priced for alterations. I haven't had my alterations yet (dress won't be in until May), so this is helpful for me too!
  • Nicolette456Nicolette456 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had 2 friends get their dresses at Amanda's and the seamstresses were great.  The entire staff was super helpful throughout the whole process.
  • edited December 2011
    Based on all the great feedback about Amanda's (and since I had a good experience there when I went shopping) I decided to buy my dress there.

I put the deposit down today and should have my dress mid-June!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards