Colorado-Denver

CO facts & altitude sickness info?

I was wondering if anyone might have the info on CO facts & altitude sickness? I had bookmarked it, but I guess that couple has been long married and their website isn't working anymore. I'll copy & paste onto a Word document this time! Thanks in advance!

Re: CO facts & altitude sickness info?

• edited December 2011
    This is what I wrote on my wedding website:

"Denver, known as the Mile High City, sits 5,280 feet above sea level. The high altitude makes the air thinner and drier. Occasionally visitors experience altitude sickness. Mild symptoms include headaches, dizziness, and nausea. The best way to combat altitude sickness is to hydrate yourself both prior to your trip and throughout your stay. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen will help with headaches."
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • edited December 2011
    There was a wedding guest of ours that had Downs and he got altatude sickness, and thier whole family drove out from Iowa to see everyone, but they ended up missing the wedding.  I felt soo bad for those guests.  We told them the wedding venue would box up thier meal and they came and picked it up.  They were so grateful for that. 

It's so important to inform guests of this issue!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • VAtoCOVAtoCO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's what I used....

Fun Facts About Denver & Colorado

·         Colorado has the highest mean altitude of all the states.

·         The tallest building in Colorado is the Republic Plaza at 57 stories high, in Denver.

·         Denver receives an average of 300 days of sunshine a year -- more annual hours of sun than San Diego or Miami Beach.

·         Colfax Avenue in Denver is the longest continuous street in America.

·         The 13th step of the state capital building in Denver is exactly 1 mile high above sea level.

Speaking of Altitude

Things can feel a little different at 5280 Feet.  A walk up the stairs or normal exercise may leave you breathless, the sun is extremely intense, and 1 alcoholic drink may feel like 3.

Tips

·         Drink a lot of water, even if you don’t feel thirsty

·         Take it easy on exercise and  alcohol when you first arrive

·         Wear sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm if you will be out in the sun for an extended period of time

If you experience altitude sickness symptoms - such as dizziness or nausea - please tell someone.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used similar info...and included a blurb abour rattlesnakes since we're getting married in a location that has them.  The majority of our guests are from NJ and New England so this is new for all of them.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • edited December 2011
    Here's what our website says (can you tell we're science geeks?):

"Living at 6,000 feet, you quickly adopt certain habits to keep your body going.  Two-thirds of the proteins in your body require oxygen to function, so everyone is bound to feel the effects of our "thin air" in one way or another.  Here are some hints to stay well so you can enjoy your trip!

1)  Drink more water.  Eight glasses a day is a bare minimum here!  (You know you're from Colorado when... 8 glasses is how much water you drink before breakfast!) We will try to provide everyone with a reusable bottle as our tap water is, literally, sold as bottled water elsewhere in the USA.  Carry your bottle with you everywhere, and you'll notice that the locals are doing the same!

2)  Wear sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, whatever.  Reapply sunscreen often.  The atmosphere is thinner, meaning there is 25% less protection here from the sun's rays than there is at sea level!  Since there is also less water vapor in the air at this altitude, the sky is actually bluer than it is at sea level.

3) In our "rarefied" air a golf ball goes 10% further, and so does a cocktail!  Imbibe with caution, at least for your first three days.  

4) Breathe deeply and go slowly, especially if you start to get a headache or feel at all dizzy."
    imageimageAnniversary
  • jwh2010jwh2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks so much everyone!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards