Colorado-Denver
Options

'Faux' Wedding cakes

My fiance and I would like to have a somewhat large cake at our wedding for picture purposes (~4 tiers), but since we plan to have over 300 people at our reception, we don't want to spend a ton of money on the cake.  We're considering getting a 'fake' wedding cake, with a single 'real cake' layer for the cake cutting, and then serving sheet cakes to our guests.   We realize that the majority of the cake cost is due to the labor of decorating the cakes (real or fake), but I would think that going this route would save some money.

Do you ladies have any experience with this, or do you know of any bakeries in the Denver area that make 'mostly-faux' wedding cakes??  Thanks!

Re: 'Faux' Wedding cakes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    you can DIY that pretty easily....all it takes is some cloth, and styrofoam

i would ask the girls on the DIY board, b/c they have done a lot of those kinds of things
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jsad17jsad17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our wedding we chose to do cupcakes for our guests, but wanted a cake for us to cut, for pictures, and to be able to save for our 1 year anniversary.  I looked into doing a cake with one real tier and the rest of them made from styrofoam and ended up being very frustrated that the cost of a "faux" cake was just about the same cost as having all edible tiers. Some bakeries won't even use "faux" tiers.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards