Colorado-Denver
Options

Flower help!!!

ok so up until now I wanted to have sunflowers as the main flower at my wedding  with green and a few purple accents.  we are getting married on a ranch but we wanted a more Tuscan feeling wedding instead of ranch, so i thought that sunflowers would pull it all together nicely.  After looking at pictures online and looking at them at a florist I'm not too sure.  I think the centers are just way too big and the flower is sometimes too big.  I thought about doing mini sunflowers but those have the huge centers too.  I looked at some "yellow flower" pictures here on the knot and saw several arrangements with Gerbera (sp?) daisies.  I love these flowers (I used fake ones to decorate my bathroom)  and I've even seen them with darker centers so they kinda look like sunflowers.  I want to do those instead, but I'm crazy and still have many concerns. 

So I need some help.  Has anyone used or is using sunflowers?  how do/did you like them?  Also, if i knick the sunflowers does that tear apart my "Tuscan" inspiration which is very loose to begin with?  does anyone think the daisies will be better?  The whole idea of the wedding is simplicity, neither of us is very extravagant and flowers aren't exactly at the top of our list.

Sorry it's so long... I have nothing to do at work but dwell about flowers and wedding stuff!  haha!  I haven't really made any big decisions with anything yet except ordering deep purple bridesmaids dresses soooo.....  Thanks for the help!!!

Re: Flower help!!!

• Options
    emilynchrisemilynchris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I can't speak to the sunflowers, but I am going with the gerber daisies myself! they are fun and a very happy flower, so are sunflowers, but if you want a smaller flower I would for sure go with gerber with the dark centers. Do you have a florist yet (I have a really awesome one and shopped around a lot so I would be happy to share her info if you don't have someone)? I have changed my mind about a hundred times about flowers but always go back to the gerbers...haha. But maybe you can sit down with a florist too who will put the sunflowers in arrangements for you so you can get a better idea of what that person would do? Hope that helps :) 
  • Options
    kjyoung9kjyoung9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry, i'm no help with flowers!  daisies are always adorable, but i really love sunflwoers, too, especially the smaller ones.  i think you can still pull off your sunflowers (probaably the small ones) if you pay close attention to the accenting flowers.  also, not sure when you're having your wedding, but be aware if you're trying to have "in-season" flowers to keep your costs down!

good luck!
    Kelly & Kevin, Denver, CO 10.22.10

MyBio

Photobucket

• Options
    AmyO.AmyO. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, I'm not a fan of daisies.  They scream little kid to me for some reason.  I love the idea of sunflowers for your tuscan theme though!  I had a friend do red and yellow sunflowers for her wedding and they were gorgeous!  The centers didn't look too large, and they added some awesome color.  Have you talked to any florists yet?  They are super helpful with suggestions for accent flowers and size options too.

• Options
    kjkummerkjkummer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for you help!  I can't believe I couldn't sleep last night because i couldn't stop thinking about it!!!  haha!  I did a 2 hour long google images search on sunflower weddings and I'm feeling a lot better.  I found a bunch of pictures and cool ideas that make the sunflowers totally worth it.  I have talked to 2 florists, I'm picking one next week and I hope they help!  I just don't want to have the huge brown center with sad little yellow petals around it!  haha!  We're thinking about using white gerbera daisies along with them so everything isn't so "sunflowery" and green roses that one of the florists I met with suggested. 

Thanks so much for the support and suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards