Colorado-Denver
Options

Name change in Colorado

Hey everyone!!

I'm quite excited for my wedding in July. Everything is pretty much planned! (I'm a first year law student at DU, so we tried to get the big things done before November.) The only thing left is finding a chuppah we like, since it's a Jewish wedding.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows about how long it takes to complete a last name change after you get married? Also, what all goes into it?

Thanks!!!

Re: Name change in Colorado

• Options
    brew311brew311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard mixed results on TK, but I went to SSA first w/ my marriage certificate (which we received about a week and a half after wedding).  Then went to DMV about a week later.  I think you can go same day to DMV, but the DMV just asks to make sure that you went to SSA already.  Got my new SS card about a week and a half after I went in.

Still waiting for my new DL, went in on 10.13 and it's not here yet.  Can't change anything else w/o new DL.

BTW, if your last name is Brewer, I just changed my name FROM Brewer :)
    Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope, my last name now is Brewer! I'm becoming an Edelman.

Thanks for your advice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm also jewish so the hunt for a chuppah has been endless

however, i think i'm just going to DIY mine

get a pop up tent or maybe even look on ebay?

good luck with the name change! feel free to post here more often
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    About how long does it take to get one's new social security card in the mail after the initial application?
  • Options
    COkristiCOkristi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

SS office is first. They actually wanted the application we filled out for the marriage license. I had to go to the county clerk's office and get a certified copy. The DMV tells you to wait 2 days after going to the SS office. They can look you up in the system and you can get your new DL then (bring your marriage license). I think the new SS card took about a week or two to arrive in the mail. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When Fl and I eloped in 2008 .. to do my name change i went get my SS changed first. I got like less then a week from when i applied for it. then I wen to get my DL. and got it about a week from when i went in..

The only problem i had was at the DMV since hubby has 2 last names they made me put both his last names on the DL but i only go by 1 so we are still fighting to get the second part off.

To me the name change was very easy. I took all the reqired papers ( i just googeld what i needed)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards