Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

honoring a family member

FI's brother/Best Man  is in the Army and is being sent to Afghanistan next month.  He said he will try to get leave for that week but it's unknown if he'll be able to.  Chances are he won't be able to make it home for our wedding.  What are some good ways to honor him at the wedding?  We plan to still list him as best man.  He's not only FI's brother, he's his best friend.  Another one of the GM is serving and probably won't be here for the wedding as well.  I want to do something special. Thanks.
Photobucket

Re: honoring a family member

• Options
    dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

a few ideas-

Are you having a prayer before dinner? If so you could incorporate them (may God protect such and such)  into the prayer.

I know that some people leave the chair/place setting open that would be for a deceased family member. I don't know if that would be really weird or not for someone who is living and can't be there.

Include a poem or thank you to those serving for our country (including such and such) in your programs.

• Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding this past May and the grooms brother was serving over seas.  They totally surprised the groom, with a recorded toast from him for the bride and groom.  I thought it was awesome, not a dry eye in the house.
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad you posted this.  I just found out my brother enlisted in the Navy and it's highly possible he won't be here for our wedding.  I can't stop crying, but then I think about what he is going to do and I feel bad for acting so selfish.  I hope some other people post some ideas here because I would love some ideas of how to honor him if he can't make it.  A speech or reading of a poem (or maybe there is something exclusive to military) is a must! 
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did intend on including him in the prayer.  I also would love if he could record a toast (since he is BM).  I'll have to figure out a way to ask him to do something like that once we know for sure if he can come home or not.  It's just very sad for us b/c he's been home from Iraq for a few years now and has to go back overseas. 

Tacco,  So sorry to hear that news.  You are doing the right thing to remember that he's doing a good thing for our country.
    I hope to get some more ideas from this post as well.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Someone posted something about leaving his seat empty... so if you did that, maybe you could have a folded flag on his place setting where his napkin would be.  Just a random thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards