May 2010 Weddings

Honeymoon Canceled!

I just got a horrible phone call yesterday. The resort for our HM is shutting down! ?!?SFL:JKWEHRIU!

We are getting a full refund from the resort, but we stand to lose up to $2000 from plane tickets and I'm not sure what from our hotel room at the airport. Still trying to work out the details, but they were nonrefundable tickets. My possibly may be able to transfer them but we will lose at least $600 in taxes/fees.

Back to the start to plan the whole thing again in the hopes that we can transfer the tickets. We are so angry beyond belief and have neither time nor energy to plan ANOTHER international honeymoon (the tickets have to be for outside US). We can't do our original location, Martinique. We got great deals on everything since we booked in NOVEMBER, so everything is likely to be more costly only three months out.

I know there have been a million HM threads, but I never thought I needed to pay attention to them since I was all planned and booked. So if you have a spare moment...

HELP!! Please recommend a honeymoon location, and better yet an all-inclusive resort that is reasonably priced!! We are thinking another (non-US) Caribbean island but are open to other suggestions. We want something really easy at this point -accommodations, food, drinks, and anything else included.

TIA soooo much! Happy Vday almost!

Re: Honeymoon Canceled!

• I am so sorry to hear about this! We are going on a 7 day cruise.. Look into that!
    Anniversary
  • That sucks!  Sorry to hear that.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location image image {Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • FYI - If you purchased insurance they might cover the cost of the penalty the airline charges to change your ticket or even the whole cost if you can't change.

Look into it...it's worth a shot! :)
  • FI and I are going to Cancun, the prices were really good and we just booked everything about a month ago. They have a lot of All inclusives 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • It might also be worth looking into other resorts in Martinique.  It doesn't hurt to ask if they could work with you for a reasonable rate in light of the resort shutting down.  My gut instinct is that the other resorts on the Island have known about the situation for a while, and have made plans to partially accomodate those affected.

If the cost of changing hotel plans is less than the amount you would lose with your plane tickets, IMO it's totally worth looking into.  Don't discount it right away.
  • curiousfool is right, call other restorts in martinique and see if htey will work with you. good luck. that is such a horrible situation.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • I agree with Curious.  It's not a huge island, I'm sure they would be more than willing to try and accomodate. 

On another note, the Turks & Caicos are BEAUTIFUL!  We went there last March.  I don't know what else they have that's all inclusive but there is a Beaches (not adult only - we went with the family) The new Italian Village there is beautiful.

I'm so sorry this happened!  Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with pps.  I would see if there's another resort you can look into, so you don't have to change your flights.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you want all inclusive try Sandals. I have always heard good things about them and they seem to be in quite a few places.  Looks like they are running a special for 65% off right now.

http://www.sandals.com/promos/hot-sale/index.cfm

1st BFP 3/2012 - EDD 11/2012 - Loss 4/2012

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm going to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica for our honeymoon.  It looks gorgeous and all of the reviews sound amazing!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i would check with other resorts in that area so that you don't have to change flights....if that doesn't work out then definitely check out mexico.

riviera maya has two fabulous 5 star resorts....Secrets Capri and Valentin Imperial. we aren't going until Aug but are completely drawn on which one to book right now.

check out tripadvisor.com for great personal reviews from people who have been all over the place. that website and a travel agent really helped us narrow it down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards