Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

dumb cell phone question

Our HM is in 13 days (yippeee!) and i was wondering if there is anything special that I need to do to be able to make calls back to the US (mostly to my parents to let them know I am alive).

Are these calls more expensive? How does this work? I have heard that I should disable my data usage while traveling as those charges can be astronomical. But what about making voice calls? Anyone know? TIA =)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: dumb cell phone question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your best bet is to contact your cell phone company. If you are calling from outside of the US, it can be very expensive! It may be cheaper to just get calling cards.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    DianaM27DianaM27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we went to Italy last year my FMIL called AT&T (their provider) to tell them that they would be out of the country and asked questions about what the costs would be and they offered her an inexpensive plan just for the time away and it was wonderful for them. They could make all sorts of calls and texts and had decent reception. I have AT&T too but did not do this and through text message and calls my bill for the month doubled in just the week while we were away! Now keep in mind there were lots of calls and texts because we got engaged while on vacation in Italy...so if you're only planning on making a few phone calls then it shouldnt be too bad but I'd call your cell phone provider or go into a store and ask them about it.

Hope that helps and enjoy the HM!!!
    One of my bridesmaids and I sitting poolside Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

usually when I go away I just shut my phone off altogether and buy a calling card before I leave! then you know exactly how much you are spending.

convenient especially if you are only planning on making a few calls :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    cutie - that's a good tip! Are international calling cards different than domestic? Sorry for the silly questions - can you tell I haven't traveled??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI - if you have Verizon, you won't be able to use your phone over there no matter what...unless you haveone of the very few that work on the GSM network. 

When I was in France, I brought an unlocked GSM phone with me and was going to buy a SIM card at a Virgin store while I was there.  But the SIM cards were so expensive and I scored a calling card at the airport for about $30 that lasted me the entire time I was there (1 week).  I relied heavily on the internet while I was there.  Both hotels I stayed at offered free Wi Fi so that helped a bunch. 
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards