Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Bride/groom "sides" in church?

I have a small family and the majority of my guests are coming from out of town/state - I know that not everyone will make it.

My FI has a larger family, all from Philly. There will be significantly more people there for his side than mine. I'm OK with this - but since we are having a Catholic church ceremony, it will be noticable.

Also, his family is Catholic and mine is not. I feel like the ceremony will be awkward since there are less guests on my side and few are familiar with Catholic traditions. Can we skip the bride/groom "sides" and mix everyone together? How have other people handled lopsided guest lists?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bride/groom "sides" in church?

• edited December 2011
    We are in the same situation, as far as family size goes - we're mixing it up in the ceremony AND reception. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No sides for us either.  FI will only have like 5 people from his family, and most of his buddies are in the army so doubtful any will be there...

And I just went to a catholic wedding last weekend, no sides for this reason. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • edited December 2011

We're lucky enough to have a pretty even amount, but we're still not splitting it. Whoever wants to sit on whatever side, can. :)

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're not gettin married in a church but I've never been to a wedding where they did split up the sides!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think people will sit where ever they want. If you are having ushers they can ask where the person would prefer to sit. We went to an outdoor wedding once where it was hot as you know what so every one sat on the side with shade. One whole side was completely empty. No one cared and they have a very happy marriage today. :) Honestly, not something to worry about. Especially, 10 months in advance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I know it's nothing to worry about - I was just at a Catholic wedding last weekend where one side of the church was full and the other side practically empty. It seemed awkward and got me wondering about what to do for ours.

My FI's fam is super traditional - but I'm glad to see people aren't so strict on this. I'd much rather have everyone mixed together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You described our wedding only I am Catholic, from Philadelphia with a huge family and H is CoE, tiny family, from England.  

Many of our friends sat on the groom's side.  It's was very even.  
    We did not have a mass b/c he is CoE and we didn't want one, the church recommends this anyway when one partner is not Catholic.  

H said people told him after the church that the service was very Anglican they thought.  I pointed out CoE and Catholic is pretty much the same thing. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are pretty evenly split... but 2 years ago when I went to my friend's wedding in a Catholic Church, I was friends with both the bride and the groom.  I chose to sit on the groom's side because the bride's side already had  a ton of people, where the groom's side looked less full.  People are going to sit where they want to.  I wouldn't let it stress you out.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards