Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

1 year anniversary...

I'm dying to go somewhere. Before little one's start to come into the picture, I've got to get away again. WWYD

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/all-inclusive-resorts/caribbean/punta-cana-dominican-republic/punta-cana-overview.htm

Should we go for 5 nights (6 days) for our anniversary, or:

Go for 5 nights in december (3-8th) we would be there for BOTH of our birthdays his the 7th mine the 4th, but it wouldn't really be our anniversary. HOWEVER, it would save us 1000...

I'm thinking to say screw the anniversary, save the 1000 and have a kick ass birthday for the two of us. WWYD?

This would mean we do NOTHING on our anniversary, maybe go out to dinner tops.

Re: 1 year anniversary...

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And yes I know it's super early.... but I'm already dying to get away and for some reason my upcoming trips to Vegas and North Carolina just aren't cutting it!
  • edited December 2011
    I say birthday!! What a great way to celebrate, and it saves money.  You can always do a small weekend away at a B&B somewhere for your anniversary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I ditto what Cara said :)  Sounds like a good idea!

I haven't been on a real vaca with FI since over 3 years ago. This post makes me jealous
    edited December 2011
    Our honeymoon was the most amazing thing ever, this is the same resort different location, and half the price cause we'd be going half as long. YES PLEASE!

DH and I never went anywhere other then VA beach before our honeymoon... I've never been anywhere before the honeymoon (DH traveled a ton). I'm now addicted to island living... and all inclusive living. Babies? No thank you. Cold drink, beach, and no worries for a week? Yes please!
  • edited December 2011
    haha! I know right, I might be screwed after we go on our HM too. We went on a cruise 3 years ago and that was nice but I think when we do our AI island resort I will be spoiled and not want babies either. I planned on TTC right after the wedding.

That resort you stayed at looks amazing! I want to stay there but I told FI to pick where we go since he is not involved in the wedding planning.
  • edited December 2011

I say go for your birthday and a nice dinner for you anniversary. I always like to save!

Where did you go for you HM again? We are doing Excellence Riviera Maya.

edited December 2011
    Yeah, our plan was to TTC after the wedding too. We have since decided to re visit the topic next year, so I can travel a little first. The resort WAS amazing... and plan to go to every resort they build through out my life time.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_1-year-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:a6d12046-1020-4f83-a065-ef82bd7b8e99Post:7f5e4544-b0ee-4c26-bcac-db75c3c6acad">Re: 1 year anniversary...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say go for your birthday and a nice dinner for you anniversary. I always like to save!  Where did you go for you HM again? We are doing Excellence Riviera Maya.
    Posted by nicole8586[/QUOTE]
    We did Excellence Playa Mujeres. My brother did Excellence Rivera Maya and LOVED it, we wanted something different. For our one year we are deciding to go to PuntaCana to switch it up and not go to Mexico twice, but I def. plan to visit rivera maya at some point for something.

They are "building" one in Jamaica... but after ton's of research found out construction hasn't even started yet. And they were supposed to "open" the resort in 2008, so I don't think it will ever get built :-(. If it does, I'm totally going there too. The resorts are just AMAZING and I want to go to them all!
  • edited December 2011
    I like your idea!!

FI had visions of trips to Napa and Italy next year, plus buying a house, oh yeah and getting pregnant.  Riiiiighhtt.......
    edited December 2011
    Between the wedding, buying a house, my job and the hours, and now the fact that I want to go to a few more places.... we realized it's just un realistic and I'm going to hate life if we started then. I need to breath a little bit!
  • edited December 2011
    Makes perfect sense!! You'll be happy you had the time to do everything.
  • edited December 2011
    Yea maybe I should TTC a year after the wedding... but I will be almost 30 when i get married and FI is already 30 now... sigh...... so who knows.

I would love to go to every island in my lifetime.
  • edited December 2011

I can't wait I think I am more excited about this HM at this point!

I also just laughed because when I first started knotting I remember you said you wanted a family right away and all of the girls freaked because of your age :)

edited December 2011
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with my age at all. I still freak out because to me, I'm old haha, because that's just how I grew up. But I also really want to be selfish for one more year.

I still get in my baby kicks, have a good cry, and then look at pictures of the resort and feel a little better.
  • edited December 2011
    I say London!
  • edited December 2011
    I am 30 and DH is 33.   We both want kids - but we also decided we want to do a few things before we have kids (go to Europe being #1).  We are thinking we will try to go to Europe sometime next spring.. So I am thinking we might TTC after we go to Europe.  I don't want to wait too much longer, because I don't want DH to be the "old dad" and I also don't want to be an old mom.. I already am 30, so.. Ideally I don't want to be older than 32-33.  
    edited December 2011
    Ahh NCV, I would love to come visit you! I plan to just keep waiting until you come back to the states for a while though :-). It's much cheaper that way! Plus, I'm more of a beach girl then a site seeing girl. Maybe one day!
  • edited December 2011
    I would go in Dec save the cash and then do a weekend away for your anniversary.  

• edited December 2011
    ooodsie- we're the same way.  I'm turning 31 next month and FI is 40.  I think his clock is ticking louder than mine, but I really do want to get started sooner rather than later.  You never know how long it'll take til you start trying.  Plus FI assures me (sometimes in the middle of the night when I'm upset) that we'll still be able to take vacations after we have kids!
  • edited December 2011
    I always thought I wanted kids before 30. Now, eh I rather travel too.

FI has been all over with the String Band  They went to Ireland this past March, we were supposed to go but he proposed so we couldn't go. I would love to "backpack" through Europe.
  • edited December 2011
    Yea I don't want to be too old either... and BP you are not old :)
  • edited December 2011
    I've been pretty lucky with my travels and have been to a lot of places I'd want to see in my lifetime.  FI and I went to Paris last December and he got the bug. It was his first time out of the country, so now he's all gung-ho to head back to Europe. Not that I mind!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah Europe!

I'm going to Paris for the weekend that was supposed to be my wedding...
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_1-year-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:a6d12046-1020-4f83-a065-ef82bd7b8e99Post:9ac6d2b1-a44e-443d-b2fc-9b56e28b3828">Re: 1 year anniversary...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea maybe I should TTC a year after the wedding... but I will be almost 30 when i get married and FI is already 30 now... sigh......
    Posted by Bride_to_be_2011[/QUOTE]

30 is the new 20, IMO  = )  There will be no baby talk in my house for awhile.  FI is starting law school part time in the fall and I have my sights set on Italy for our anniversary. 
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    hehe cute Pharm :)

I guess I shoudn't be in a huge rush, but if I had my way, I would have been married with children already. But not everything goes the way you want it to.
  • edited December 2011
    I kinda figure it goes one of two ways.. Either you get started SUPER early (19-22) and your kids are all grown up and out of the house when you're in your 40's and you can enjoy life and traveling then while you're still somewhat young.. OR you start later (mid 30's) and just know that you've already enjoyed yourself the past 10 years and did it reverse of the rest... At least thats what I try to tell myself when I realize that realistically we won't be "free" from kids again until we're in our mid-late 50's... 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Jac, just an FYI about Excellence P*nta Cana (TK won't let me spell it out) -  do some research on it first.  DH and I are going to PC at the end of May for our 1st anni trip (woo hoo!!) and we originally set on going to Excellence because I've heard such amazing things about them from people on this board who went to Riveria Maya for their honeymoon. However, what I found out is that the Excellence PC is older, many people complain about the rooms looking very worn, and the beach is so rough that it's not good for swimming. Many days they won't let you swim at all because the waves are too high.  I know you have to take all of the reviews with a grain of salt, but if you are expecting the same level of resort as Riveria Maya (which I think has an amazing beach) you may be disappointed.  I went back and forth soooo many times because I really did want to try it out and wanted an AI, AO with lots of restaurant choices and nice amenties. But the whole beach thing plus the fact that it's a 60-90 minute ride from the airport just made me decided on a different resort.  We chose the Majestic Elegance which is about the same price and chose the AO option.  It's further south on the island and only a 20-30 minute ride from the airport, plus the water is crystal clear, calm,  and what you expect of a Caribbean beach. 

I used tripadvisor to research, but then also found this site-
    http://www.oyster.com/dominican-republic/hotels/excellence-punta-cana/

We may evenutally try there in the future if we go back to the DR, but for our first trip there we just didn't feel like it was worth it when there are so many gorgeous AI's on this island.  I do though, want to go to Excellence Riviera Mayaor Playa Muerjes someday,  so maybe next trip!  A lot of people do say the food and bars are the redeeming quality so we may eventually try it, but there are resorts on the island in the same price range that get better reviews.  Just figured I'd mention it because apparently the Excellence PC is like the lowest rated on the Excellence chain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards