July 2012 Weddings
Options

My sister MOH attitude

Let me start off by saying I've always known my sister would be my MOH but lately her attitude has made me unsure of my choice. She is my bestfriend yet we are complete opposites. A little back story: my sister met her current bf back in June of last year. He has 2 sons from a previous relationship. One is 4 and the other was 6 months old when they started dating. That never set well with family and friends. Needless to say she is now 5 months pregnant with his 3rd son. Now here is the dilemma: I asked her to come help with the invitation envelopes and when she arrived she grunted and said do we have to do this? But went with the plans anyway. A few days later I asked her to come with me to make a final decsion on a dress and to purchase it. She grunted and moaned and asked what time? I told her 5:30pm she grunted and said fine! I was upset so I called my best Gf and told her what happend. She dropped her plans and said she would be their. I also invited my future mil and sil. My sister mil sil and I all drove together and best Gf would meet us there. On the way my sister tells us she wants to wear a short wedding dress that's skin tight to show off her bump. I say that is not going to happen. While at the bridal store my sister immediately takes a seat. My mil has to help me into my dress. My best Gf hadn't arrived otherwise she would have helped me without a doubt. I find a dress I love and so did everyone else. I try on a long veil and my sister loudly protests with a NO NOPE. I ask why? She just keeps repeating "it's too long" without further explanation. I purchase my dress and we all drive home. The following week my sister was going to revel the sex of her baby so myself fi my children all meet up at my fathers house. After she tells us the sex my father starts asking about wedding plans. I showed them a link to my ring I ordered and my sister asks to see. I show her and very loud and proud she huffs "it's not even a full carat". I tell her that I don't care about that kind of stuff. She then mutters some snickering comment to her bf who recently purchased her a ring. I ask how much was your ring she says over a carat about $1500. I just respond with ah ok. My sister has an ultrasound and they move her due date to exactly my wedding day! I asked her what she wants to do. She says find a back up. My sil and NFC write me saying they are going to host my parties because they think any idea they have my sister is going to shoot it down! I offered to host my sisters baby shower in June since she is my best friend afterall. I ask her to come up with a guestlist so I have a rough number to work with. She wants this shower to be at a park in between each family's home so it's equal driving distance for the bfs family and ours. Last night I get an email from her saying " so I came up with my list. 66 adults and 24 kids a total of 90 people!" I write her back and explain I can't afford a 90 person shower a month before my wedding. Where did she expect all these people to sit at at a park? And if she wants to continue w a coed shower she needs to enlist in more help! My fi has had it with her. They never really hit it off either. He thinks just simply kicking her out of the wedding party is the solution. Is she being over the top or am I just being insensitive? I really need an outsiders view. I have no clue how to approach this because I'm afraid of her being irrational!!!
pregnancy calendar

Re: My sister MOH attitude

• Options
    I am sorry that this is all happening but it's clear that your sister doesn't want to be involved so I would stop trying and asking her to do wedding-related things with you.  Some of the things that she is doing/saying seem intentionally hurtful and though you want to share these things with her, it is probably better for your sanity if you don't.  Did she behave like this when she accepted the role of being MOH? 

On the front about throwing a baby shower for her, specify what you can afford and leave it at that.  She either has to accept what you are willing to offer or not have a shower.  You will feel more comfortable knowing that you set your boundaries than if you over-extended yourself.
  • Options
    Okay to start, paragraphs are EXTREMELY helpful! It was very hard to read your wall-o-text and not get lost.

Penny gave you some good advice, I agree with all of what she said. Technically speaking, a MOH or BM doesn't have to do anything but buy her dress and show up the day of the wedding. Anything else is extra for you and should not be asked for. I would definitely not kick her out of the WP, even if she is due to have her baby that day. Have a discussion with her that doesn't involve giving her demands and ask her if she is comfortable still being MOH since she will either be very pregnant or will be having a baby at that very time. If she says yes, than pick out a BM dress and let her make arrangements to order it, etc. by herself. If she has the baby and can't be in the wedding anymore, NBD, you are just short one WP member.

And if she says that she doesn't feel comfortable being MOH anymore, respect that and move on.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As accepting a role as MOH I would like to think she would help instead of expecting her help I ask would she want to do things in regards to help it's a simple yes or no. I have a large wedding party so she isn't the only help I can get. I understand a maids duties is buying her dress and showing up but we don't have a wedding planner and are on a budget so any advice help or duty is much appreciated. My problem is the attitude she is giving me asking for help. If she goes into labor that day then so be it. Negativity is not what I'm looking for. When my gma asked what she has planned inregards to a back up she insisted she would still be the MOH. "I have to she is my sister" were her exact words.
    pregnancy calendar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-sister-moh-attitude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:85cadb48-a384-4302-8a24-6eca162e9c21Post:22bd2f24-b078-4013-8007-d23dbc882e80">Re: My sister MOH attitude</a>:
    [QUOTE]As accepting a role as MOH I would like to think she would help instead of expecting her help I ask would she want to do things in regards to help it's a simple yes or no. I have a large wedding party so she isn't the only help I can get. I understand a maids duties is buying her dress and showing up but <strong>we don't have a wedding planner and are on a budget so any advice help or duty is much appreciated</strong>. My problem is the attitude she is giving me asking for help. If she goes into labor that day then so be it. Negativity is not what I'm looking for. When my gma asked what she has planned inregards to a back up she insisted she would still be the MOH. "I have to she is my sister" were her exact words.
    Posted by Melissa.hylton[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that most of the women here are on a budget and don't have a wedding planner either. I understand that you would like her help, and I suppose that since she is your sister, a certain amount of help is sort of "expected" (meaning that I can see why you would think this). But again, you shouldn't be making any demands or anything. If her attitude continues to stink like you've said but she is adament about remaining in the WP, I would involve her in as little planning as possible and either do it all yourself or hope that your other BM's offer to help. Like I said, tell her the wedding date and where to get the dress and leave it at that.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-sister-moh-attitude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:85cadb48-a384-4302-8a24-6eca162e9c21Post:79f89b39-f622-448c-9b24-b97b47976514">Re: My sister MOH attitude</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My sister MOH attitude : I'm fairly certain that most of the women here are on a budget and don't have a wedding planner either. I understand that you would like her help, and I suppose that since she is your sister, a certain amount of help is sort of "expected" (meaning that I can see why you would think this).  Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

This.

Some people just aren't into weddings and if you have other friends who would like to help you, then I would include on them or your FI. 

I am doing everything myself too, without a planner or BP.  I prefer this because I have found that the more people are involved, the more chaotic things become.  I think there is a bright side to this.
  • Options
    Help is not expected I'm not sure why you seem to keep insisting that I am making "demands". I have asked other bms if they would be able to help in certain areas and not one of them pissed moaned groaned or huffed about me asking and were very helpful.
    pregnancy calendar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-sister-moh-attitude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:85cadb48-a384-4302-8a24-6eca162e9c21Post:89f34af2-71fb-44ad-8d7c-0c9b6f9d7a77">Re: My sister MOH attitude</a>:
    [QUOTE]Help is not expected I'm not sure why you seem to keep insisting that I am making "demands".<strong> I have asked other bms if they would be able to help in certain areas and not one of them pissed moaned groaned or huffed about me asking and were very helpful.</strong>

Then what is the issue? You have a MOH that doesn't want to help and BM's that do. The more you push or ask for help from a person that has clearly indicated that they don't care to help, the worse the situation will be.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm looking for my sister to be moral support instead of acting like a bitch!
    pregnancy calendar
  • Options
    I get that, but is it really worth damaging your relationship with her? Like Penny said, some people just don't give a crap about weddings, no matter how close to the bride or groom that person is. You can't force her to care. Yeah it might hurt your feelings that she's being a pain in the ass, but you have to look at the broader picture here. If your relationship with her beyond your wedding is the most important thing, then let her off the hook about not helping for your wedding.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-sister-moh-attitude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:85cadb48-a384-4302-8a24-6eca162e9c21Post:9817301e-b511-4932-a5b6-b9ebbfab7844">Re: My sister MOH attitude</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking for my sister to be moral support instead of acting like a bitch!

Pot meet Kettle.  You seem to have your "judgemental" pants on today.

As frustrating as you sister is being it sounds like (by your own admission) that you are complete opposites.  With that being said, expecting her to change because you are getting married is probably not going to happen.  Walk away from all wedding talk with her,  you cannot bully someone into supporting you.  And if you are able to what is that support really worth?  Certainly not your sanity.
  • Options
    And one other thing: if you leave your sister alone and enlist the help of your other BM's to help you plan the wedding, she might change her tune and want to be a part of all of it with everyone else.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I get that you want your sister to be interested in YOUR wedding.  But clearly she's not.  Maybe it's because she's pregnant and has her own things going on? Maybe it's because she's a little jealous that your getting married and she's not? or maybe it's just the fact that she just doesn't care and feels like she HAS to be your MOH because your sisters (and you asked her and she didn't have the heart to say no.. who knows).
    I agree with ceglare, stop asking her and she might change her tune.
    I wish my mother was interested in my wedding (I'm her oldest, her only daughter and first to get married) she doesn't seem interested.  How did I resolve from getting hurt? I stopped talking about the wedding with her. Plain and simple.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    I don't know why you're expecting so much from her, it's obvious she has a lot on her plate. And I think if I was announcing the sex of my baby to my family and they started asking my sister about her wedding in the middle of it, I might be a little bitchy about too. I'm not saying she's right, it's just human nature. 

PPs already gave you some great advice, good luck. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I understand why your upset & it sounds like she is being snotty & rude. Your beet bet is to just not count on her for anything nor expect anything from her. If my sister/best friend was getting married I would want to help any way I could, pregnant or not, but some people are selfish. I would assure her she is not obligated to be your moh. She may have a different response if you speak with her privately, yourself. Lower your expectations & you wont be disappointed.
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have a sister, so I don't know how these things goes - but it sounds like she's being a brat. Does she have "not-the-favorite-child" syndrome? Were you always the one favored?

The 90 person baby shower is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever been to a shower with more than 30 people - and I felt like that one was huge!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok first my family is open we gave her her time to revel the sex we all celebrated and my father brought it my wedding up simply. I wasn't rubbing anything in her face. My judgmental pants are not on she is acting like a bitch. I am going to take the advice of stop asking if she would like to participate in any wedding plans. I have had 2 children pregnancy hormones are no excuse for bad behavior. After having my best Gf over today for a play date she too believes my sister is being over the top in all aspects. She has known my family closely for the last 10+ years and knows my sisters personality. We both agreed it would be best to stop asking her to come with us or even on crafts for this wedding and maybe she will want to after she realizes it's her attitude that NOBODY wants to be around.
    pregnancy calendar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards