October 2010 Weddings

Invitations - hand address or not?

What is the etiquette rule for addressing invitations? Are we required to hand address our invitations or is it ok to print the addresses directly on the envelope from the printer? I am not sure!

Thanks you much for your help!
May 10-10ers Siggy Challenge - My mom and me!

Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Invitations - hand address or not?

• edited July 2010
    The etiquette of hand addressing, from what I understand, is antiquated.  I did it for the personal look of it all, but I don't think it's necessary.  If you want to print on the envelopes, that's fine. 
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen people do both.  I wanted mine hand addressed (always liked the look of them) so I hired someone since my handwriting is horrible! 

I know a lot of the girls here are printing right on the envelopes, but I would test it out first cause I know a few girls had issues with the type of printers that they had. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's all about your preference, not etiquette. Some girls like hand adressed envelopes because it gives a bit more of a personal touch. I am having my grandmother write them out with her gorgeous calligraphy because I think it looks beautiful.  I was going to just print them though on labels if she said she couldn't do it. Do whatever you're comfortable with.
    Erika & Joel
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I printed my addresses on clear labels.  Some would say that it is a big no-no but, I tend to write at an angle if I don't have lines.  If I did that the invitations would look like sh!t.  I actually love the way mine look. 
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • I like the clear lable idea. I planned to print mine in a script font, would be way easier to not have to deal with running the envelopes through the printer.  Thanks for the idea, I may have to steal that.
  • Depends on your audience.  I frankly think no one notices these things... except my FMIL and FSIL.  So mine were hand-addressed.   Personally, I think if the inside is pretty, who cares about the outside?
    Our Wedding Day
  • I used the script font and printed in a chocolate brown color.  I think that they look great.  Very neat and tidy.  I love it.  I have also (while talking wedding stuff with others) heard that the post office likes it better that way.  Easier for everyone to read.
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • You can print them now. I was told you still you should never use a sticky label though. I'm hand addressing mine myself. Our envelopes are about the same size as a business #10, so I think in our case printing them might make it get mixed up with the bills and whatnot!
    Siggy Challenge: This is right before they opened the doors.
    Anniversary
    Planning Bio - Wedding Bio and Vendor Reviews coming soon!
    Our Life Blog
  • I hand-addressed them only because my printer completely died last month and I haven't bought a new one yet.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Etiquette-wise, from best to worst:

nice handwriting or calligraphy
    printing directly on the envelope
    mediocre handwriting
    wrap-around labels
    poor handwriting
    regular white/clear computer labels labels

It's really up to you. Handwriting originally distinguished "personal" correspondance from business correspondance, so the tradition has stuck. But if you think they look better being printed on the envelope rather than written, go for it.

I've also heard of people printing their envelopes in light gray and tracing over them to give them a handwritten look.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Printing is totally fine, although some sticklers for etiquette will tell you otherwise. 

We used the clear labels for our STDs and I didn't think they were very clear-looking (we used them on colored paper and they just didn't look great). For the actual invites, we printed in a script font directly onto the envelopes. They're beautiful!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Orginally I thought it would be easy to handwrite mine.. until I started.. I got so frustrated and worried that it looked bad that I just ran each one through the printer and they looked great.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
  • In Response to Re: Invitations - hand address or not?:
    I printed my addresses on clear labels.  Some would say that it is a big no-no but, I tend to write at an angle if I don't have lines.  If I did that the invitations would look like sh!t.  I actually love the way mine look. 
    Posted by hd7694
    AMEN!!!  I did this too.....and I am happy because i got to use the font that matched our invites.....i am totally happy with mine.

I would be totally miserable if i handwrote them and they werent perfect.  I think printing them on the envelopes or labels is just fine!
    BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • I get compliments on my handwriting all the time.  And yes, "etiquette" says we should hand write them.  So, I did two 'example' envelopes (one handwritten, one typed) and there was no contest.  I printed all of mine directly on the envelopes in Lucinda Calligraphy font in chocolate brown and I couldn't be happier.  I estimate it took about the same amount of time and the last invitation looked just as good as the first.  Do what makes YOU happy.
  • My BMs have been a godsend.  :) I LOVE THEM!

We are having an "invitation party" the week I want to get them out.  I will supply snacks & margaritas & they are bringing their writing hands. 

Between the 6 of us, we should be good to write out 20 invitations each. I'm splurging on some nice pens to be sure the ink doesn't run or smudge, but that's about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards