• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2010 Weddings

Do you tip for hair/makeup trial?

I am going for a hair and makeup trial tonight and I was wondering if I'm supposed to tip for it? I would imagine so, but I just didn't know if most people were just giving the person one tip when they do the stuff for the actual wedding or you tip them twice?
image Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do you tip for hair/makeup trial?

• I wasn't sure what to do either, but I did tip for my trial and I plan to tip the day of the wedding as well.  The hairstylist (who is an aunt of one of my BM's) is actually taking the day off from the shop on my wedding day to come to my Mom's house and do our hair there which is extra nice of her.  She can also charge us less that way, so I feel the need to tip her more than I would someone who wasn't putting in the extra effort.

Anniversary

NNT for 5+ years. TTC since March 2012.

Irregular and anovulatory cycles. March 2012-Ultrasounds show no cysts. November 2012- CD 3 b/w all normal. Working on losing more weight before further testing. Trying out some natural remedies in the meantime.

Nestie Besties with Nfp147

TTC Buddies with Amandaf6383
  • I tipped, simply because she didn't charge me for the trial. I thought I was going to have to pay $45 for it, but she said since I'd booked last year not to worry about it. So I gave her a $20 for her time.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• I agree with the previous post, it is still an appointment, where she is doing all the same things she will be doing on your wedding day, so if you are planning on tipping her on your wedding day it would seem appropriate to also tip for the trial.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was going to but the salon I went to didn't have a way to add it on to my card and I literally had no cash.  I was so upset because I really wanted to tip her.  So I am going to give her a larger tip the day of.
  • She said my trial is free if I pay half upfront for the "day of" service.  However, she's driving in from Toronto, giving up a day of her weekend, and putting up with me.  I'm giving her something extra. :)
    10-10-10
  • In Response to Re: Do you tip for hair/makeup trial?:
    I paid for my hair and makeup trial and i still tipped. They are still taking time out of their normal salon hours to do it for you, so... it's still a hair appointment in my book.
    Posted by cfaszews25
    That would be true if they worked at a salon and rented a space. But if they don't and they simply work out of their home/on the road, I don't think a tip on top of paying is necessary since all of the money goes to the stylist anyway. Just MHO.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• My salon, an Aveda boutique, doesn't allow tips.  Ever.  Love it.  :)  But I do have to say I feel bad about the wedding day services because I would want to tip for that!  But it's a firm salon policy.
    Our Wedding Day