Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

the pros?

has anyone chosen to go with the pros for videography/photography/music?

they have won a lot of best of awards from the knot, but when i look at other sites (specifically the ratings when i do a regular google search), i can't find ANYTHING positive about them.  there are a lot of complaints about how they pressure couples into putting down a deposit and then they change the professionals the couples work with.  i feel that videography/photography/music are very important choices.  the couple just needs to click with these kinds of professionals.  i know i'd be livid if i took the time to pick the perfect person and the company ended up making up my mind for me.

just want to get some insight before deciding whether or not to go to their "wine and cheese" showcase on december 2.

Re: the pros?

• edited December 2011
    Don't go, don't give them your phone number, email, or home address.
  • edited December 2011
    Run far away from them.
  • edited December 2011
    It's exactly the possibility of switching that made me not even bother going to their showcase a few months ago; when you sign a contract with them, you sign a contract with the COMPANY, not the professional you pick.  The contract only specifies that you 'prefer' that particular professional, not that you WILL get that one on your wedding day, which is a practice I'm not at all comfortable with.  I personally wouldn't bother; I think you can get more reassurance from any of the highly recommended djs/photogs/videographers on these boards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • edited December 2011
    My friend was married 2 1/2 years ago and used them.  She said if there was one thing she would of changed about the wedding was selecting the pros for a photographer.  He was rude, the pictures were not great and all the poses were the same.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks to everyone for getting back to me so quickly!  you've confirmed my decision to blow off the pros' little get together.  if anyone has suggestions for photographers/videographers/dj's, they are definitely welcome!
  • PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just to add to the others i had two experiences (kind of) with them... first my FSIL and FBIL used them a year ago and the photog and dj were great.... i was not super impressed with the video but they like it and are more traditional than me ... then my fiance's cousin used them and the DJ was good but the photog was REALLY rude and horrible. he kept calling hte bride and groom "you and you" or 'hey you" and there were pictures that were just really bad.  not all of them but quite a few.... my location said we can use ANY outside vendor EXCEPT for them!!!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    You can check the Philly Knot Blog link in my signature for recommendations.  If you tell us your budget we can give you lots of awesome recommends to fit what you have to spend :)
  • edited December 2011
    No exaggeration - my friend used the pros and I was just over her house looking at her wedding photos.. every outdoor photo had POWER LINES in the background behind her head, the photographer coudlnt have said "let's move to this other location.. this one isn't working" ?? Cmon now.
  • psychgrrlpsychgrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Run.  Far.  And fast.  We went to their wine and cheese thing during our planning.  The only thing we came away with: what we DIDN'T want.  And I had to get rid of the annoying sales woman that kept calling me.  The more research we did, the more we found options in our budget that were much better.  We used Issy Schmid www.issyschmidimaging.com for our photos and we love them!  We did DIY video with my parents' video camera, and ended up hiring a friend's band/did the Ipod thing for music.
  • edited December 2011
    hi again everyone, and thanks so much for all of the feedback!

i know someone suggested sharing our budget . . . is it bad that we don't really have one?  my fi and i are both in sales so we know that we need to work and sell as hard as we can between now and the wedding.  oh, and no more going out to eat or spending unless it's necessary. 

we decided early on that we are only paying for what's important to us.  pictures are super important since they last forever (other things, like flowers, we intend to severely skimp on so we can afford the things that we want).  we are really focused on quality and value when it comes to all of our vendors.  if we can pay $1500 for a photographer that takes great pictures, we'll be super happy.  but if we absolutely have to drop the 3 or 4 grand, i just hope we can find a way.

so far, we've decided that we really like the contemporary photojournalism style and have contacted a few photographers that seem to be up and coming.  our first meeting is tomorrow, hopefully it will go well!!  but of course, any recommendations are welcome :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Jess.

$1500 will be tight, and 3-4 grand will definitely get you what you're looking for.  DH and I felt about the same way you do when we started looking...we had a number in mind, we knew what would be WAY too expensive, but in the end, we just budgeted out what we knew we would have to pay to get what we really wanted. 

I've mentioned my favorite photographers a few times already this week, but here they are again for you.  They should all be able to come in at a price that you can work with, and many will work with you on price if you are willing to sacrifice a few things or adjust your package. 

Doug Burns, Candid Moments Photography (my wedding photographer, multitude of pics in my married bio)
    Tony Hoffer
    Sandor Welsh
    Sarah Schulte
    Rich Lavigne
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone put the deposit down and then cancelled with the pros?  Do you know if they will not give the deposit back?
  • edited December 2011
    My recommendations:

Mike Landis
    Ryan Estes
    Sarah Schulte

You can see Mike and Ryans work in my photo blog under my signature pic.
  • stacy2006stacy2006 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THEY LIE!!!  They are not, nor were they ever voted "best of" anything on theknot.
  • zinniafanzinniafan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for someone in a similar price range that will be the same photographer you get on your wedding day and have a more creative/photojournalistic style, check out www.LisaRhinehartPhotography.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards