October 2010 Weddings

Vent: The annoying baby questions

Is anyone else getting the annoying questions about when you're having kids? Between Fi's mom, co workers and a random friends we're getting asked atleast weekly. They seem to think marriage=popping out babies like the Duggars. Then the nasty looks they give you when you say you may never have kids. You would think we confessed to punching babies or something.

Fi and I still haven't decided if we even want any, and if we do, it won't be for atleast 3 years anyway.

Anyone else feeling like this?
Anniversary

Re: Vent: The annoying baby questions

• OMG yes!!! I just posted on snarky brides yesterday about how FI and I never want to have kids and people look at us like we murdered someone and we always get the "you'll regret it" or "you'll change your mind" or "you're too young to decide that" or "you won't have anyone to take care of you when you're older" or "you're going to be so lonely with just your husband"

Are you kidding me?!?! Its not a crime to not want kids, and nothing is wrong with me for not wanting them. We can be perfectly happy and lead full lives without having children. People need to butt the hell out!

As you can probably tell, its a huge sore spot for me. It makes me madder than anything else anyone ever says to me.
  • I usually politely smile and say "Well, that's between me, Wes, and God." 

J
    Jacki and Wes ~ 10.2.10
    Perfect love drives out fear.
  • I think I'm just going to start using this quote I found whenever I'm asked.

"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats."
    Anniversary
  • FI and I get the same thing!! And I just tell people with in the next 5 years! maybe!! Then his family gets mad at me and my dad tells me all the time he wants grandchildren... It does drive me a little nuts!

• I was SO PISSED at my dad the other day. His girlfriend's son and his girlfriend are having a baby this week. His girlfriend's foster daughter has a 4 year old daughter and is KU again. All these kids do/will call my dad grandpa.

So he was talking about this to me and was like, "Just sayin. No pressure." Um, yeah, the thing I want most in the world is to be like your girlfriend's kids. Especially the one who's a 24-year-old bag boy. Oh wait, no, the one who's been to jail twice and has a pregnant girlfriend. Oh wait, no, the one with a loser babydaddy everyone hates who works at Subway. However shall I choose what to do with my life. Sorry to be such a disappointment over here.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to Re: Vent: The annoying baby questions:
    I think I'm just going to start using this quote I found whenever I'm asked. "If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats."
    Posted by BlueBalloon
    Love this!

I have never understood why people think this is okay.  They don't know your struggle.  What if you're having infertility issues?  What if there's a painful reason from your past that you've chosen not to bring children into this world?  None of their business!!!!
    Our Wedding Day
  • I'm hearing the same thing.  And even when we explain to people that we are waiting atleast three years they seem to think once we are married we will change our mind.  I think my FMIL has her fingers crossed on that one.  Is wanting financial stability such a bad thing before having kids?  We get the same reaction from a lot of people when we say we only want two (mostly FI family).  Same thing, we don't want to be stressed about money our whole lives.

FMIL has even offered to buy formula and diapers as an incentive for a baby sooner!  Nice offer, but I think we will still wait!

This is a topic I think a lot of us can vent on!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here is where the joy of no longer having a uterus (or anything else related to one) comes in handy!

10-10-10
  • We've heard it a few times, but for the most part we've heard more of "get a dog first, then have babies". 3-5 years of just him and I is looking pretty nice - no need to throw anyone else into the mix.
    Anniversary
    PersonalMilestone
  • my parents have three grandsons and kept asking prior to proposal when we will be giving them a granddaughter.  since the proposal, the questions stopped, but I think they just expect it to be happening.
  • I hate that question.  What if I was unable to have children?  It's so rude and intrusive!
  • In Response to Re: Vent: The annoying baby questions:
    I hate that question.  What if I was unable to have children?  It's so rude and intrusive!
    Posted by Dominique1219
    I have two children but cannot have anymore from complications from 2 c-sections. I am so uncomfortable when people ask me if I'm having any more kids because HOW THE BLEEP do I explain that without them seeing how upset I get when I tell them. My youngest is 2 so it's gotten better since i was told but it's still a sore subject depending on my mood when it's brought up. I agree with all of you. People really shouldn't ask that question. I am lucky that I did at least get to have 2 children and some people couldn't have any so It must be extremely hard for someone in that case to get that kind of question. Ok sorry I rambled.
  • From co-workers....I think they just want to make small talk....but it is annoying!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards