North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

invites?

So ive started looking at invites and want to do something simple. but my real question with it is quite of few of my family members have mentioned wanting to make the trip down for our wedding. I dont know how to word it in an invite or letter that we would love to have everyone with us but we cant afford to house everyone, we both have very large families. is there a way to approach this? ive been going over it in my head for days!! Undecided
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: invites?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Does everyone expect to have you pay for them to stay? Maybe add on the invide where you have a block of rooms reserved at a nearby hotel or direct them to your wedding website with info on rental properties so family can make plans to rent together
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, thats what we did for invites.  We housed my immediate family, and a few friends that were coming alone ( we had an extra bedroom in the house with 3 twin beds).  So my immediate family knew they were staying with us, the people that I didn't plan on staying in the house, I sent an enclosure card with their invite- on it had 3 hotels with all the information, so they could book a room at one of those 3 hotels if they chose to.
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that your guests will assume you're paying for their lodging.  But I agree with the other ladies - send information with the invitations on where to stay.  We also have a website (the link was on our save-the-dates) and it lists realty companies and hotels (fyi, if you're having a summer wedding, you probably will have a hard time blocking off rooms at a hotel).  If you are having some family/friends stay with you, just talk to them personally.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When I sent STD's out I added hotel and rental house info to them and also directed them to our wedding website with even more information.  You could also add this info in your invites on an extra card or something.  I've gotten wedding invitations with hotel room blocking info before.
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:0ad8c2f7-baea-4996-9805-6c14ea265218Post:6d94bf37-6253-4c2e-b77e-5ad8faab9289">Re: invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE](fyi, if you're having a summer wedding, you probably will have a hard time blocking off rooms at a hotel). 
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Jen, did you end up finding a place nearby to block?  I had no luck!

</div>
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    No... no luck either.  I called any and all decent hotels in the area.  I think Tranquil House will if you book 1587 for catering (which due to their extreme lack of communication is not happening).  Other than that, as soon as I said June, they said "Sorry."
    :-\
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    JAK - I got a room block at the Ramada Inn in Nags Head (its on the beach).  They do blocks of six rooms at a time, so once six are all reserved they'll open up six more!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Must've missed that one.  Thanks!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Wolfie!  That is so good to know because that is one of my next steps.  My wedding is Memorial Day weekend, so I'm really hoping someone will block some off for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, thanks!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With a destination wedding you are not expected to pay for everyone's lodging.  While it sounds like a "nice to do" thing, you shouldn't feel obligated.  We rented a large house and had immediate family and the bridal party stay there.  I first put out a feeler email to get everyone's ideas on who might stay at the house, just the weekend, or the whole week.  At 6 months out we sent a Save the Date with a brochure with all of the lodging information, and our website which had all of the info on it.  We prearranged a block of rooms at one hotel, a discount at another and listed all of the rental companies, things to do, etc. in the brochure.  For those that we had a tentative Yes on the house, we slipped in a separate little insert that read:

We have rented out
    an 8 bedroom, 8.5 bath house
    for the wedding party
    to stay at
    during the week of 8/13-20.
    We can share accommodations
    and keep expenses down for everyone.
    There will be several kids there
    and they can all
    bunk and play together.

At 2 months out, we sent out the invites with the same accommodation information, directions, etc.
  • Options
    pinkflowers4pinkflowers4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are trying to word a feeler to determine how many people will be coming to the wedding to verify we have enough rooms.  We need a certain number for the resort discounts to work. We are also opening the honeymoon cruise up to others but we can't figure out how much to put in the feeler or how to word it to "Hey please let us know if you plan to attend and you wanna go on the cruise after?"

Any recommendations welcomed.

Mother of the Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards