North Carolina-Outer Banks

Friday or Sunday wedding

My FI and I are planning a late September 2012 wedding in the OBX. We've looked at a few venues, but all are booked for the Saturday we want. However, they have a Friday and Sunday available. We are fine with not having the traditional Saturday wedding, but we're having trouble deciding which day is better...Friday or Sunday. I prefer Friday, but the FI thinks Sunday would be better for our guests. I'm grateful for any opinions/ suggestions. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friday or Sunday wedding

• eeforbeseeforbes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote Friday!  I don't know why but to me it feels like more of a party night!  Plus, even if people have trouble getting time off, there is probably more likely a chance they could dip out a bit early Friday, rather than having to take Monday off?  Just my two cents.
  • edited December 2011
    We had a Friday wedding and loved it.  Most of our guests came in the weekend before and the latest came in on Wednesday since we were from out of town.  I agree that Friday weddings seem more relaxing and guests still have the weekend ahead of them when it's over instead of Sundays when they might have to head back to the work week afterward.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I'd vote for Friday. You don't want people cutting out early for your Sunday wedding to travel back home.
  • edited December 2011
    All good points! Also... I think your guests would appreciate having Saturday morning to sleep off their hangovers as opposed to having to return to work with one come Monday morning... oooor cut back on all the fun so that they dont have to worry about it on Monday morning...
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

I have to say that looking back, if there was one thing I could change, it would be the day of the week.  We chose a Friday and while it was great being able to catch up with friends & family over the course of the week, part of me wishes I would have gone with a Sunday so that the stress of preparing, setting up, decorating, etc., would have been done & over with so we could have had the rest of the week to totally relax & unwind.  I felt like Saturday was a day spent stuffing linens back into bags and cleaning out glass cylinders and pakcing up all of the decorations rather than a day of pure rest & relaxation for Brent and I, as well as our families who put so much work into this to begin with.  If I could have had just ooooone more to day relax, it would have been great!

Now don't get me wrong, doing it on a Friday certainly did have it's perks, especially for our guests being able to take a Friday off rather than a Monday....but YOU are the star of this show here so you have to do what is right for YOU :)

We also did a lot of DIY ourselves, which meant we had a lot of clean-up and packing up to do as well.  We ordered the linens from an online company b/c they were cheaper but looking back, I would have paid the extra money to have the linens done by someone local so we didn't have to put each one in the dryer to make sure they weren't wet upon return so mildew wouldn't form during the shipping.  Then, having to separate the different tablecloth sizes out to make sure that we had all of them became a pain in the butt as well.  We also chose to do glass cylinders with a lot of shells vs. flowers for our centerpieces, so again came the clean-up portion of it all. 

Now if you have a coordinator, be it a hired one or a close family friend, you won't really have to worry about any of this or if you are doing flowers for your centerpieces, that will save time too b/c all you have to do is pick them up and go with 'em.  Even if you don't have a coordinator, I would go ahead and designate someone or a few people even, to handle all of the clean-up the day after....that way you and your new hubby can truly bask in the bliss of your first 24 hours
    as a married couple :)

Please don't think I am trying to rain on your parade for a Friday wedding at all, just trying to provide some insight to the possible flipside of doing it on a Friday.  There are probbaly a lof of different factors that go into every single one of our weddings such as corodinator, all inclusive packages, etc., but just wanted to share my experience from a DIY bride that wishes she would have had just one more day for her & hubby and friends & family to truly relax from it all :)

Whether you chose a Friday or a Sunday, it will absolutely fabulous and everything you have ever dreamed of!  :)

• edited December 2011
    I agree about having the time to relax.  We were lucky enough to stay for two weeks and were married on the weekend in the middle.  Outside of the day after brunch, we did SQUAT the day after. 
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • edited December 2011

Because we planned everything so quickly, I knew that Saturdays would be taken by most vendors.  Plus, it's a heavy check in/out day.  We chose Sunday. We checked in on a Saturday and had a welcome BBQ, then spent the night and the next morning getting the house ready.  Since our reception was at the house, I wanted the "weddingness" over with so that the rest of the house guests could have a beach house for the rest of the week.  We also wanted to have the wedding and relax the rest of the week.  I didn't want to spend my only vacation time prepping for the wedding.  There was SO much traffic on Saturday in August and so many things to coordinate that it was a little tight.  But, it got done.  Ideally, one more day would have been nice to prep, but not really necessary.  As Char mentioned, it also gave us plenty of time to pack up stuff and even sell some of it off.  Because people that were coming for just the wedding were going to have to make a long weekend of it anyways, it didn't really seem to matter whether it was Friday or Sunday.  EIther they could take an extra day off, or they couldn't.

• obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if the Hilton is one of your venues of interest, but I did get an email from them a few weeks ago that 10/6/12 (saturday) was available.  I had put a hold on the date.  We are getting married in our hometown in DE so I released the hold.  Not sure if it's still available, but I thought I'd let you know!

How far are people traveling for your wedding?  Do you anticipate people coming down for the whole week or just a few days surrounding the wedding?

When we were thinking about getting married down here, we were leaning towards a Sunday over a Friday (had the same issue with venues).  Our reasoning was - if people wanted to stay the whole week, they could do a Sat-Sat rental and not have to rush out of there/be worried about checking out the day after the wedding.  Although I am sure people could do Sun-Sun if you choose a Friday but there are fewer Sun-Sun rentals available. 

Also, if people were only coming for the weekend (most from DE or further north ~ 6+ hours away) we thought that if we did it on a Friday, people would come down Thursday, thus having to take 2 days off of work.  If we had it on a Sunday, we figured people would drive down Saturday and drive back Monday, making it more feasable that they would only have to take one day off of work if neccesary. 

This was our thought process!  I am sure no matter what date you choose your family and friends will be so happy to celebrate with you!  Smile
  • edited December 2011
    You have got to call 11th Hour Events and talk to Rachel! She is wonderful and will give you honest advice. She is a great wedding coordinator! They have 2 reception locations on Roanoke Island and they do "all inclusive" weddings.  They can also work with your budget and travel to you and do the wedding at your location of choice.  We were so happy to use them for our wedding.Her number is 252-473-500011thhourevents.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_friday-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:2d70111e-4a1c-46c3-af99-183a6ae4da36Post:261b2473-6033-4e48-bd86-b943deb371fa">Re: Friday or Sunday wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You have got to call 11th Hour Events and talk to Rachel! She is wonderful and will give you honest advice. She is a great wedding coordinator! They have 2 reception locations on Roanoke Island and they do "all inclusive" weddings.  They can also work with your budget and travel to you and do the wedding at your location of choice.  We were so happy to use them for our wedding. Her number is 252-473-5000 11thhourevents.com
    Posted by rkirby236[/QUOTE]

Please don't spam our boards.  While we appreciate recommendations and adivice, vendors are not allowed to post here.  Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards