North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Noise ordinance in Nags Head?

Anyone know the specifics on the noise ordinance for Nags Head? I found a document on one of the official Nags Head websites regarding noise ordinance and from what I understand, it looks like 11pm would be the cut off for music for a reception, but want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

Anyone know for sure what the time would be?

Here is the link to the document I found:
http://www.nagsheadnc.gov/vertical/sites/%7BB2CB0823-BC26-47E7-B6B6-37D19957B4E1%7D/uploads/%7B78FD39FD-0CDE-41CC-B3E9-F92E7A5702A6%7D.PDF

Thanks!

PS - I am trying to choose a ceremony time and we would like to have some pictures taken while the sun is about to set, but we want to be sure we will have enough time dedicated to the reception as well. My date is May 20, 2013 and the sun sets at 8:05pm, so I was thinking if we have it at 6 and the photographer is there for a few hours, we can just go back down to the beach once the sun starts to set and get pictures then, so that we would have from around 6:30-10 or 11(?) for reception time.

Re: Noise ordinance in Nags Head?

• Options
    We got married on May 25, 2012.  Our ceremony was at 5:30.  We had planned on taking some formal pictures and then heading back to start the reception with dinner around 6:45.  Then we were going to head to the beach for some sunset pictures but it didn't quite work out that way.  Pictures took so long after the ceremony that we headed straight to the beach when finished and were there taking pictures around 7 which was perfect, it wasn't sunset but was a perfect time for great pictures.  We got back to the reception in time to eat and then have our first dance during sunset time which was great for pictures as well.  Our DJ played until about 10:30.  We got married in Corolla though so I am not sure about the noise ordinace you are asking about.  I don't know if that helps you any with regards to the time, if you have any other questions let me know.
    May 25, 2012
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the noise ordinance, so I'm no help there.

As far as time goes, I would speak to your photographer but also make sure that you leave enough time for everything you want to do.  Our wedding was June 22nd.  I wanted to have my ceremony at a time similar to what you're talking about (the "golden hour" for pictures), so my photographer recommended 5:30/6.  However my officiant couldn't go later than a 4:30 start.  It ended up working out better that way though because our ceremony went until about 5pm (we had a 20 min drive to the reception); I added extra time for our cocktail hour, so we had about an 1 1/2 hours to take pics - that ended up being perfect because we took some on the beach and then went to the Marsh Lighthouse in Manteo - any shorter and we would've been very rushed or wouldn't have been able to go to the lighthouse.  Then our photographer also pulled just Mike and I outside around 8:50 to take some twilight pictures.  Our reception went until 11pm and felt like the perfect amount of time (almost no one left early, and it provided enough time for cleanup); though it FLEW by for Mike and I!  The only thing that was "tough" about having our ceremony early was that it was still very warm for our that and our pictures on the beach, but I can't complain too much about having a beautiful sunny day! Smile
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options

The noise ordinance is at 11pm :)

I agree with Jen about the time.  I had originally wanted to do it later, but our photographer suggested 4;30 and I was very happy in the end that we took their advice!  The day will go by  a lot faster than you expect and pics on the beach after the ceremony will take more time as well.  Everything seems so planned out in your head, until it actually happens :)  Had we not moved it to 4:30, we would have missed out on some pics in downtown Manteo and Marshes Light as well. 

And yes, the night will fly by in the blink of an eye, so make sure you soak in as much of the time as you can!

• Options
    Okay thanks for the clarification on the time and thanks for the helpful tips on timing! Of course now I need to find a photographer and officiant and make sure these times are okay! =D
  • Options
    Oh yes, the day DEFINITELY goes way faster than you'll ever expect. We wanted some sunset pics at the lighthouse in Manteo at sunset. Because we got so caught up in the fun of the reception, we never made it to do them. If you really think you can make it down the the beach again, for sunset pics, it would be a gorgeous time - just make sure your photographer is keeping an eye on the time to make a point of taking you back down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards