North Carolina-Outer Banks

Honeymoon help:)

My FI and I are from the Winston Salem area and are planning on going to obx for our honeymoon. Neither one of us have been, but we have heard countless things about how we should go. Hopefully, we are planning on renting a house for a week. Is there a certain area you recomend? Anything around we absolutly have to do? We are both looking forward to it and want to go ahead and get everything booked. TIA ladies!!
est. 9.17.2011
furBRAT Tess:)

Re: Honeymoon help:)

• edited December 2011
    I like Nags Head.  It's close to a lot of the tourist type things and lots of restaurants, but you still have the beach.  It's 20 minutes away from northern beaches and about 45 minutes away from Hatteras.

We loved the jet ski tour, sunset dolphin cruise, and biplane experience.  Heading to Jockey's Ridge for sunset is a favorite too.

We also rent a house there, but book early because they fill up quickly.  Our first choice for next summer was already taken.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Kill Devil Hills, but really anything between Kitty Hawk and Nags Head would be best for first time visitors...thats where the most shops and restaurants are.  If you went up to Duck and Corolla its get expensive.
    imageAnniversary
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Jen above- Kill Devil Hills is sweet, quaint and quiet. The people are super nice. There is limited "activites" other than the Wright Bros. Memorial and Watersports, Beaching but if you are looking for a lower cost area that's still lovely, it's a great local. In fact, my fiance and I are holding our wedding on the beach there! Good luck!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sarah - our wedding is there too AND we're staying in a house there for our honeymoon.  We're getting married using the Ramada's beach access since our reception is there.  What are yawl doing?
    imageAnniversary
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I vote for Hatteras if you're looking for more relaxation.  Definitely take a day trip down to see the lighthouse and Hatteras Village if you stay up north somewhere.
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I second Nags Head, though Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk will likely be cheaper and are almost as good in terms of being close to the good stuff. My family goes to OBX every year (I got the proposal this year at the Elizabethan Gardens!).
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Before you book anything, I would strongly recommend taking a weekend trip there to get to know the area.  Corolla & Carova are the most northern point of the island and are 4x4 access only so consider that for your guests when planning.  Duck is just beautiful but it also has a large price tag to go with it!  Kitty Hawk is very old school and rustic and has lots of charm to it!  Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head are right beside each other and have lots of shops, restaurants, etc. South Nags Head is more family oriented b/c the houses are oceanfront, but there are no highways right at the end of your driveway like in KDH or Kitty Hawk.  And of course, Hatteras is infamous for the lighthouse and only a 45 min drive south of nags head. 

From Corolla down to South Nags Head, you are covering a 40+ mile area (I know this b/c my brother lives in Carova and we vacation in South Nags Head every summer and Im used to the drive up to visit him) so Im sure there is THE perfect location for you! 

Again, I cant stress enough how important it is for you and your sweetie to go down for the weekend and just drive around so that you can get accquainted with the area.

I have been vacationing in Nags Head for over 21 years and my brother also lives there, so please, if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me at:
    [email protected]

Happy Planning!!

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    P.S.  Carova is where all of the wild horses are and the beaches there are practically untouched.  I have never been anywhere like it before and not many know of it.  Its pronounced "Ka-rall-a"  NOT "Ka-roll-a" as in rock and roll.  There is no "roll" at all, just the "rall"...thats how people know if you truly know the area or not, he he he) Ok, so enough on the school lesson for know, lol.  Anyways, most people will tell you that Carolla is the most northern point, but thats b/c they dont know about Carova....its absolutely gorgeous!  There are NO roads there...just sand paths, no stop lights, no convience store across the street...NO NOTHING!  You have to drive at least 20-30 mins to get to the nearest store.  Trust me, its completely untouched and absolutely amazing!!!

No matter what you decide, Im sure it will be absolutely perfect for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards