North Carolina-Outer Banks

NWR: Birthday Gifts?

Hey All,
So my FI and I's birthdays are coming up. Mine is August 1st, his is August 4th. I never thought I would end up with someone who's bday is so close to mine because I've always LOVED my birthday and didn't want to share the spotlight (typical leo, I know lol). Anyway, it turns out that I actually really love that our days are so close together because it's fun to plan a trip or excursion every year to celebrate together. It's so much smarter and cheaper! Who woulda thought?

So, my question to you all is: what do you do to celebrate birthdays when all your money is going towards the wedding??

And besides that, what do I get my groomy??? (Philly, being the resident guy I need your help here) I was thinking maybe surprise him with concert tickets or something he could wear?
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: NWR: Birthday Gifts?

• JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As you mentioned, maybe see if there is a local concert he would enjoy that you can score tix to and try and get a bunch of your FI friends there as well to tailgate as a surprise?  Concerts + tailgating= always a fun summer day!  Or baseball game (if you are fans).  
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Ours are close together also, 2 1/2 weeks.  Before we got married, between Nov 14th-Feb 14th was our dating anniversary, Christmas, both our bdays and v-day.   By the time our b-days and v-day rolls around we are both out of ideas.   Last year we took it easy because of the wedding.  Actually, now that I think about it, we were hit with a blizzard the day of his b-day last year so we didn't do anything but take the Jeep out.

I like the idea of concert tickets, baseball tickets, etc that you guys can do together.  I also have gotten my DH football jerseys and memorabilia. Does your FI have a fav sports team?

Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Laura,
    Yes, he is a DIE-HARD Redskins fan. But I can't get those tickets....I'm not even sure they will play but even if so, I cannot afford those tickets! Whew!

I might try for Tim McGraw tix or something- that way we are both happy :)
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat Sarah.  FI's birthday is June 5th and mine is June 29th.  With a wedding coming up next month, I suggested we just lay low and not do anything for our b-day's since all of our money is going towards the wedding.  He wasn't having it and refused to do nothing...sigh.  I was at a loss of what to get him since he has every gun known to man and there's a stock pile of bullets at our house.  Seriously, I had to clean out the living room closet so that he can put his guns and bullets and bows and crossbows, etc in there.  I ended up buying him a gift card to his favorite outdoor store here...we should buy stock in the company with as much money as he spends there.  I felt a little bad for only getting him a gift card so I also cooked his favorite meal for dinner.
    Anniversary
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know either.  But it seems electronics always works.  It never fails.  We walk into Costco and he's mesmerized by the hum of the TVs and PCs.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Concert tickets with a group of friends sounds like a fun time!

• edited December 2011
    Ok Sarah.  Your in DC area, so me coming and cooking for you both(I'm trying HARD to convince FI to go to culinary arts school which I should have done instead of going for Accounting/Business Admin) I guess is out of the question, eh? Cool  What common foods/meals/cuisine do you both enjoy?  What is FI into? What "toys" does he like?  Hobbies?  Sports teams?(beside the crappy 'Skins, can ya guess who we root for?), etc.  Give me some of that info, and I can come up with a great evening of fun and suggestions.  I know me and Kel enjoy for special occasions going to the Melting Pot.  Also, do you remember the first "dinner date" you guys went to?  Is there any type of "meaning" to that?  Is this a "milestone" birthday?  I know next year Kel turns 30.  This year she got the birthday gift she will never forget when I proposed to her.  I will post video of this on our Knot FB page. 

We run into similar problems too, my bday is March 3rd, hers March 27th.  I could go on and on.....but I wanna help, so let me know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PhillyBoy (from now on PB), I got engaged on your bday and mine is the following day, March 4th!  
  • edited December 2011
    I saw that JAK!!!!  At least that your bday was on the 4th.  Us Pisces are some cool cats, aren't we? Cool
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally cool!  At lease that's what we tell ourselves :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_nwr-birthday-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:5fa21c11-3ef0-4229-a0c9-29bc6af6f22dPost:7ce03054-cb7c-498b-9c5e-1b27115346a3">Re: NWR: Birthday Gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok Sarah.  Your in DC area, so me coming and cooking for you both(I'm trying HARD to convince FI to go to culinary arts school which I should have done instead of going for Accounting/Business Admin) I guess is out of the question, eh?  <strong> What common foods/meals/cuisine do you both enjoy?  What is FI into? What "toys" does he like?  Hobbies?  </strong>Sports teams?(beside the crappy 'Skins, can ya guess who we root for?), etc.  Give me some of that info, and I can come up with a great evening of fun and suggestions.  I know me and Kel enjoy for special occasions going to the Melting Pot.  <strong>Also, do you remember the first "dinner date" you guys went to?  Is there any type of "meaning" to that?  Is this a "milestone" birthday?</strong>  I know next year Kel turns 30.  This year she got the birthday gift she will never forget when I proposed to her.  I will post video of this on our Knot FB page.  We run into similar problems too, my bday is March 3rd, hers March 27th.  I could go on and on.....but I wanna help, so let me know!
    Posted by Phillyboy06[/QUOTE]

Philly-
    He loves Pizza. I mean, he LOVES pizza. If pizza were single, he would marry it instead of me. He really has a long-term relationship with pizza that I cannot compete with. He has this whole theory how pizza contains all the food groups so he doesn't need to eat anything else, ever. Sigh.....

He works on swimming pools for a living. He loves to go fishing. The trouble with this is, I know zero about fishing stuff so I have no clue what I would buy him for that. As far as toys, he's not really into gadgets, more into tools. Again, I know nothing about tools so I can't really get him that.

For our first date, we watched a Redskins game together. Seriously. And he just had his 30th last year.

So, yeah.....any ideas based on this info????
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What kind of fishing?  Salt water/fresh water- striper/tuna... give me an idea of what he does for fishing and I can ask FI.  He is a HUGE sport fisherman.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JAK- His favorite is surf fishing off the beach. He's caught all kinds of weird stuff, like sting rays & sand sharks.
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you get him a surf fishing package, with surf rod, reel, and some lures?  Then take him out to California Pizza kitchen for dinner. :-)  I'm perplexed.  It's hard with the wedding right around the corner and understanably finances at a premium.  Sports wise, I could give you all kinds of ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards