North Carolina-Outer Banks

Home - The Stars?? & Wedding dilemnas!

Has anyone ever rented the home "The Stars"? It looks nice enough, not overly fancy or anything but nice enough to rent to have our beach wedding. If anyone has ever rented or knows anything about it, I'd appreciate it! It's in Nags Head.

Other wedding dilemnas I'm having.. fiancee's Mom does not want to travel from PA to NC and says it's too far. It's about a 7 hour drive. What do I do?? We really have our hearts set on a beach wedding in the Obx. It's so affordable and beautiful. What you get for a wedding in PA for 5 hours is what you could get in a WEEK in NC! Also, a close friend of hers would not be able to make the trip and is now offended and thinks we don't want her there, which is not true! I just don't know what to do! Any advice would be much appreciated. I want to make everyone happy, but I feel like I just can't! Really don't know what to do.

We've considered maybe having a NC wedding and then having a local reception back home for other people who couldn't make it.

Thanks!
-A stressed out future bride!

Re: Home - The Stars?? & Wedding dilemnas!

• Is your fiance's mom able/willing to fly? She could fly into Norfolk International and only have to drive 2-3 hours (depending on traffic). If she is not paying for the wedding, her input should be limited, in my opinion. This is the day for you and your fiance to have what YOU want. If she is just incapable of attending the wedding, consider having it recorded on video (or even streamed live) and then if it's possible, she can throw you a reception or shower or party in PA with people who live in that area. 

And no, you can't make everyone happy. Sorry to break it to you! But I think this is a moment where you can kind of put your foot down and say "This is what we want, and this is what's happening. Get on board." - Just maybe say it nicer! It's not fair that she's asking you to bend on something so important. I think it's fair to ask her to be flexible. Either she will or she won't; no use fretting over it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_home-the-stars-wedding-dilemnas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7bfc4736-bf11-4b64-b7be-6d927c5745d3Post:32c88864-d111-4f30-add4-6f5c7e8bf35f">Re: Home - The Stars?? & Wedding dilemnas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is your fiance's mom able/willing to fly? She could fly into Norfolk International and only have to drive 2-3 hours (depending on traffic). If she is not paying for the wedding, her input should be limited, in my opinion. This is the day for you and your fiance to have what YOU want. If she is just incapable of attending the wedding, consider having it recorded on video (or even streamed live) and then if it's possible, she can throw you a reception or shower or party in PA with people who live in that area.  And no, you can't make everyone happy. Sorry to break it to you! But I think this is a moment where you can kind of put your foot down and say "This is what we want, and this is what's happening. Get on board." - Just maybe say it nicer! It's not fair that she's asking you to bend on something so important. I think it's fair to ask her to be flexible. Either she will or she won't; no use fretting over it.
    Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]
    That's honestly kind of how I feel. It will be my parents paying for the wedding. I was thinking of maybe asking her if she would considering just coming down for a few days (maybe a long weekend). I would offer for me or one of my family members to drive her down, but that would mean someone would also have to drive her home if she is only staying a few days as opposed to the whole week. I was really upset last night after hearing that she didn't like our idea and started looking at more local places, but I just can't get excited about any of them. I was so excited last week..looking at rental homes, browsing and picking bridesmaids dresses, choosing colors, etc.

I am hoping this can work out, though. Thanks for your input. I totally agree!
  • You should check into Outer Banks Air Charters (at the Manteo airport) and see what the cost would be to fly her from Philly right into Manteo. Hundreds of thousands of people vacation on the OBX each year, and personally I don't think 7 hours is too far of a drive. It breaks my heart to see people have family and friends so against the couple's wedding choice. You're asking her to drive 7 hours, not fly out of the country. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_home-the-stars-wedding-dilemnas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:7bfc4736-bf11-4b64-b7be-6d927c5745d3Post:abdfbad4-6f98-4bce-a16f-11fb35b2f453">Re: Home - The Stars?? & Wedding dilemnas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should check into Outer Banks Air Charters (at the Manteo airport) and see what the cost would be to fly her from Philly right into Manteo. Hundreds of thousands of people vacation on the OBX each year, and personally I don't think 7 hours is too far of a drive. It breaks my heart to see people have family and friends so against the couple's wedding choice. You're asking her to drive 7 hours, not fly out of the country. 
    Posted by Starfish0116[/QUOTE]

Ohh, good idea! I will look into that! Thanks!
  • I agree with the above post.  It is your wedding, so follow your heart.  If you and your fiance really want to marry in the OBX, then you should!  Good luck with the MIL!
  • Missm810- I agree with everyone else.  I say too bad for her.  I know that sounds harsh and I'm sure you want to have a good relationship with your FMIL however, this is your wedding.  Doesn't mean you're a bridezilla, it means that it's not about her.  You and your man want to get married in the Outer Banks and if she cares about the two of you, she needs to be on board.  I would suggest offering her a ride there and back at YOUR convenience.  Don't put anyone out for her..  She can choose to take you up on the offer or make other arrangements (flight, rental car for the remaining 2 hour drive whatever).  It is NOT okay for her to start searching for places in PA for YOU to have your reception especially since SHE is not paying for it.  That's just my opinion :)  Hang in there...family stuff can get very messy and complicated when a wedding is involved and know that you are not alone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards